James Loudspeaker EMB 1000 Subwoofer

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Shane Martin, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Since I can't link the subwoofer directly You'll have to go Here

What do you think of that? Interesting design I must add. I wonder what kind of output that thing puts out. I'm not certain it has been run thru the Nouisaine ringer yet but its an interesting design nonetheless. An individual who owned an SVS PCI(I think it was) compared it to this sub and he said there wasn't a comparison. Call me a skeptic but that's still an interesting looking subwoofer design.

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

It's a bandpass design that uses a passive radiator instead of a port. Not very common but nothing new design wise.

3. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

What Dustin said.

Comparing a $650 SVS PCI to a $1500 box? What's wrong with that picture?

The reviews leave me quite sceptical. How much distortion do you think the "violent" movement of the passive driver is producing?

There is no getting around the laws of physics. That's why the best subs from SVS weigh 190 pounds are are almost the size of a coffee table.

Also, Bose uses a similar but different design, (the Bose has a port rather than a passive radiator). Take a look at their "Acoutimass" design.

Artie

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

The James is a nice design, but:

- quite expensive
    - only has a phase 0/180 deg switch. The best way is a variable phase knob. IMO, a sub this expensive should have variable control.

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Well, it's not a passive radiator in any conventional sense as the cutaways show two chambers so it's really a coupled cavity design. One of the reviews stated that the distortion was something like 0.5% with flat output out to 20 Hz. That's fairly impressive and I'd love to see a more comprehensive review with measurements. It's very interesting Shane.

6. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Which review actually measured the THD? I couldn't find any reference to that. I saw someone mention that they measured 100dB at the listening position with near reference level playback. Not sure if they were indicating that was good though? That would seem to indicate a TON of compression?

Also, if the total acoustical output of the unit is dependent on the movement of the PR only...it would be relatively easy to find the clean output capabilities of the unit. For example, if it is a 10" PR with 1" surrounds...you know the Sd is in the 330 range and the displacement won't be greater than say 25mm each way. You don't have to worry about the driver throw...because the driver can be moving 5" each way...but the PR will be the only thing actually moving the air(generating the acoustical output) in your HT room.

Tom V.
    SVS

7. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Hi Tom:

What model SVS would you say compares most directly with the HSU dual 1220HO's and their 500 watt amp (800 watt with dual 1220's)

I can't forget Don Keele having to expand his scale down to 12.5 Hz for that test. I know distortion figures at those peak output levels were high but Keele was awfully impressed with the package.

Thanks

Artie

8. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

That was the Perry Sun review Tom, but upon reexamination he may well be talking about the amp for the sub.

9. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

It's very much a conventional passive radiator (driver without a motor). A port and a passive radiator do the same thing.

What makes this a bandpass design is that you have two chambers coupled by an active driver. One chamber has no means of radiating sound outside of the enclosure and the other has a passive sympathetic resonating device that can radiate sound outside of the enclosure. Doesn't matter if that passive device is a port or a PR.

10. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

You're right Dustin, I should've looked closer at the diagram.

11. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru
    Supporter

Craig
    Artie - If you are interested, I can replicate the Don Keele test using the SVS PB2+ in 16 Hz mode... It should be interesting to see what its peak is compared to the 1220's....

Technology is good !

12. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Craig

I would love knowing how the SVS PB2+ compares to the HSU 1220's, with the SVS in 16 Hz mode.

Thanks!

Artie

13. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru
    Supporter

Craig
    Artie - I will work on it this weekend... the TrueRTA is installed... and a pb2 + is here...