What's new

James Gunn and Peter Safran to co-lead DC Studios for Warner Brothers (1 Viewer)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I am particularly intrigued by the Lanterns and Paradise Lost shows. Real potential there. Oh, and Waller too. That’s up my alley. I loved Peacemaker.

Same here. At least for the first two of those. Waller, I'm less enthused for. Nothing against the character (who I loved when she was first introduced in the comics), or Viola Davis's portrayal (she's awesome), but when she appeared in Black Adam, it began to feel like she was being forced on us as an all-purpose Bad Guy.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Same here. At least for the first two of those. Waller, I'm less enthused for. Nothing against the character (who I loved when she was first introduced in the comics), or Viola Davis's portrayal (she's awesome), but when she appeared in Black Adam, it began to feel like she was being forced on us as an all-purpose Bad Guy.
Ah, I still have to watch Black Adam. Been meaning to!

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Nothing about the future of "Superman and Lois". I guess it is a possible "Elseworld " or dead. There will be at least 2 "Batman" so there could be more than one Superman.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Nothing about the future of "Superman and Lois". I guess it is a possible "Elseworld " or dead. There will be at least 2 "Batman" so there could be more than one Superman.

There may well be more than one Superman, regardless of the fate of S&L. It's been announced that the Abrams-produced, Ta-Nehesi Coates-written Superman project is still going forward. No guarantees that it'll make it into production, but they haven't dropped it yet. If it does end up going into production, it will definitely be under the Elseworlds banner.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
So they are going to call the Amazon home Paradise Island again? Alot easier to pronounce than Themyscira. Of course as Paradise Lost is set before the birth of Wonder Woman the name could be Themyscira in the present. How long ago is it before the birth of Wonder Woman? More than 2000 years ago?

The Green Lantern show on HBOMAX has been through several changes. 1st with Greg Berlanti it was going to be multiple Green Lanterns in different time periods and include Alan Scott. Then it was going to be a John Stewart only series. Now a Hal Jordan and John Stewart series set on Earth. I am glad Hal is being included in live action. Would like to see Guy Gardner make an appearence. I still want Diggle to be John Stewart.

Here is Deadline's descriptions of the new movie and TV shows coming.

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
So they are going to call the Amazon home Paradise Island again? Alot easier to pronounce than Themyscira. Of course as Paradise Lost is set before the birth of Wonder Woman the name could be Themyscira in the present. How long ago is it before the birth of Wonder Woman? More than 2000 years ago?

Well, no, they won't be calling it Paradise Island again. To quote Safran via the Deadline article you link to:

“It’s going to be a Games of Thrones-ish story about Themyscira, the home of the Amazons..."

The title is, no doubt, just an allusion.

As for your second question, that's unclear. Given that Gunn & Safran are starting with a clean slate, nothing that was presented in the extant films (which isn't much) can be relied upon. And I don't recall anything presented in any version of Diana's origin in the comics that would point to when she was brought to life. Certainly nothing that can (again) be relied upon, since DC has a history of retcons and reboots.

Me, I'm hoping that Gunn & Safran go back to the Golden Age version of Wonder Woman's origin -- that she really was a clay figure brought to life by Hera, with none of this fathered-by-Zeus nonsense. That Patty Jenkins's Wonder Woman went with the "New 52" version of Diana's origin instead of Marston's original was my big disappointment with it. I can kinda understand Jenkins's reasoning, but it still irks me.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
There’s been so much info today and I’ve yet to see one article that collects it all, so we have to piece it all together (which helps sites get more clicks). But one thing I did see said that Superman & Lois would get 1 or 2 more seasons.

in any case, as someone who never warmed to the Zack Snyder movies and who has thoroughly enjoyed James Gunn’s movies, I am looking forward to this.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
There’s been so much info today and I’ve yet to see one article that collects it all, so we have to piece it all together (which helps sites get more clicks). But one thing I did see said that Superman & Lois would get 1 or 2 more seasons.

in any case, as someone who never warmed to the Zack Snyder movies and who has thoroughly enjoyed James Gunn’s movies, I am looking forward to this.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The latest casualty is the HBO series Pennyworth, which finished its third season last year. This one is a real shame, since season 3 ended on a massive cliffhanger.

This is one of the pitfalls of telling a story over several years and basically playing Russian roulette with having cliffhangers before getting renewed. It really sucks for the audience, not to mention the cast and crew.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Gunn and Safran were due to present their 10 year plan for DC films at CimemaCon yesterday. Has anyone seen a report? Does it differ from the one Gunn presented in January?

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
Some Aquaman set drama, and also this

"In fact, none of the stars cast by Zack Snyder for 2016’s “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” and 2017’s “Justice League” — including Ben Affleck, Henry Cavill, Gal Gadot, Ezra Miller and Momoa — will reprise their roles in the new DC universe in character. Momoa may return, just not as Aquaman. Sources say the actor has engaged in talks to play Lobo, either in the 2025 reboot “Superman: Legacy,” written and directed by Gunn, or in a standalone film."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks