What's new

James Cameron's Piranha 2 Full screen only Jan 28, 2003 (1 Viewer)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-...002/11_05.html
due on the 28th of January 2003 is - at last! - the only James Cameron film not yet available on DVD, the terror sequel Piranha II: The Spawing. Although this little-seen gem has been highly sought-after by fans for years in a quality widescreen version, Columbia has failed to deliver yet again, offering only a full screen transfer and mono soundtrack plus some bonus trailers as extras. Retail is $19.95 each.
A bad call really

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
A very bad call. I don't know who's making these decisions at Columbia, but they obviously don't know their cult films very well. They used to be my favorite studio for DVDs, but, and their special editions are still fine, but stuff like this is perplexing.

Because of the cult status of Piranha II, it makes absolutely no sense to release it in fullscreen only on DVD, unless that's Cameron's preferred framing. (Of course, from what I've read, there was a lot about that film that Cameron didn't prefer, so who knows?)

Personally, I've never seen the movie, but I do know there are lot of fans of it out there; if DVD has taught us anything, there are fans of just about every movie ever made. And, if nothing else, this was Cameron's feature directorial debut, and should at least be presented properly.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
I used to own Piranha II on laser disc. I don't remember much about it except that it was one of the first LDs I traded in, FWIW.

Jan

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
The original Piranha DVD included the following note:

In preparing for the re-release, one question loomed larger than most - should this film be released in a letter-boxed version? The definitive answer comes directly from Joe Dante who explains that the movie was originally filmed in "full frame" ratios.
Is there evidence that the situation is different for the sequel?

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I don't think it will suffer too much. It wasn't shot in scope. Still, it should be in the OAR of 1:85 to 1.

Benson R

Supporting Actor
Since Cameron pretty much disowned this film I expect he doesn't care how its released and would probably prefer it not be released at all.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
well Peter Bracke of dvdfile just confirmed that it is still an abomination.
oh well you can't please everybody I guess
:D

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Well, for those upset over this DVD, the UK R2 release of PIRANHA II: THE SPAWNING will be in anamorphic widescreen! Rejoice!
Just FYI, the UK edition of Joe Dante's fabulous original is anamorphic too (and a jolly nice transfer to boot), but with no extras.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks