James Cameron's " Aliens Of The Deep" In IMAX 3-D

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Tino, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    Anyone planning on seeing this? It looks interesting and has a 79% approval (100% cream of the crop) rating currently at Rotten Tomatoes.

I plan on seeing it this weekend.

Cameron sure likes to spend time under water.[​IMG]

2. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Does look rather cool Tino. May have to check this out too. [​IMG]

3. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

Interesting article in today's USA Today about this film. I'm planning on seeing it.

~Edwin

4. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    I'd love to see it, but our closest IMAX is an hour away, my wife isn't hat interested, and it doesn't look likely. I'll definitely buy it first chance I get, though.

Take care,
    Chuck

5. Neil McCaulley

Neil McCaulley Stunt Coordinator

I am actually disappointed in James Cameron lately for not making fun, visually stimulating summer blockbusters any more.

1) I was REAL disappointed that he walked away from Terminator 3. I know it would have been much better had he stayed involved in the project.

2) Yah, Titanic was a good movie, but it is not as entertaining as a cyborg traveling through time.

3) What is it with this "Aliens From The Deep" and other documentary crap that will never see the screen of a normal theater? Nor get the hundreds of millions of dollars in ticket sales and merchandising. If he was going to do a movie with the word Aliens in it, it should have been Aliens II, right after Aliens. That whole franchise could have been saved if, again, he stuck with it.

4) Though I did like Spiderman 2, my interest in Spiderman 1 would have been much greater, and I am sure I would have loved it (I did not like the first Spiderman at all.) if, again, Cameron got himself involved in the project.

I am frustrated that James Cameron seems to be getting further and further away from what I enjoy about his movies — big summer blockbusters that have me excited to watch them months in advance. I really wish he would return to what he is best at.

6. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

Ummm....have you not heard about James Cameron's next big feature film BATTLE ANGEL, coming at you in digital 3-D in 2007?

Basically, these documentaries are also acting as a 3-D training ground for the new camera systems he helped to develop. Considering the dangerous and difficult locations that they were shot in using new technolgies; it is natural that they took a while.

He's also trying to get an infrastructure in place to allow these movies to get a wider release. He seems to be pretty set against going back to shooting on film or in 2-D ever again, even if only a portion of the audience can see the digital 3-D version. It's nice to see a serious filmmaker take the potential of stereoscopic cinema seriously these days, something that hasn't really happened in fifty years.

Cameron has never been one to crank out feature films, but I bet it won't take another 10 years after BATTLE ANGEL for his next one.

7. Neil McCaulley

Steve, I have heard of it, but quite frankly I thought it was just speculation. Besides, if it cannot be released in a normal theater, few people are going to see it or even care.

Something to consider too, when it (The Battle Angle) goes to DVD, what happens to all that time, effort and 'Wow Factor' that was in 3-D? That's right. It won't be available for the home theater experience. Think about movies that are done in 3-D. They look ridiculous when they go to 2-D for home presentation. I am afraid the same thing will happen here.

This is why I want Cameron to get back to basics. He was great at it, and by a selfish movie-goer aspect, I loved watching these movies.

8. Steve Phillips

You don't get it. Cameron is not making gimmicky films that fall apart without the 3-D, but good movies that are enhanced by it. If you see the flat version, you are missing out a bit, but the film can still work unlike the 80s era stuff like JAWS 3-D, which without the -D, falls completely apart.

James Cameron is working very hard to try to get minimum 1000 screens ready for polarized 3-D again in addition to the 100 or so IMAX venues. They are trying to make good 3-D possible in a regular theatre, that's just it. But it isn't easy in today's climate, when the norm is for a 20 screen multiplex to use a couple of 16 year old ushers as part time projectionists.

It still cracks me up that 20+ years ago a dozen polarized 3-D movies played on 1000 screens at once but they can't do it now.

Cameron knows that digital projection is the only real answer to simplified 3-D projection on a large scale. It's just going to take a few more years to get there!

As for the home market, 3-D is possible, and I'm not talkign about some awful red/cyan anaglyph conversion, either. But even if the video version is 2-D only, that might be just the point. People are starting to stay away from the theatres and wait for DVD releases, which are coming sooner and sooner after the theatrical release. If something like BATTLE ANGEL 3-D can get people off the couches, that's what they want.

Look at POLAR EXPRESS. The flat version is gone from all but the $1.00 theatres, but the 65 or so screens playing the IMAX 3-D versions are continuing to do so to sell out crowds. The 3-D version has done over $40 million on just 60 screens, and still has legs.

IMAX and slighly scaled down versions of it just may be the thing Hollywood needs.

9. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I hate seeing James Cameron routinely going and visiting wrecks and then complaining about how they fallen apart since he "first went down" to visit it .... well DUH!

Sorry, that would be off topic.

Brent

10. Neil McCaulley

Steve, I am afraid you are the one who does not get it.

In this age of Home Theater, the movie industry does not look at the theater as the final destination for their craft. It extends beyond the theater to video games, merchandising, and the ultimate goal, our own home theater systems. Why do you think today's directors film and SAVE several different angles, shots, dialogue and even visual effects of their film? That's right! To make even MORE money when it gets released on DVD. I for one now have three different versions of the same film, simply for the fact that I did not get the opportunity to view the other versions in the theater.

By Cameron taking this rather non-conventional route of continuing to develop 3-D for movies intended in 3-D, he is isolating the DVD movie goer. This is not a smart move since these days films make just as much money, if not more, through home video sales. Be it VHS or DVD. Even if this 'Angles' movie does not follow the same direction as the pathetic Jaws 3-D, it is still going to look odd and have nowhere near the intended impact of the film, once it reaches the home market. HDTV just came out. It makes no sense for him not to refine his work for this current age of 2-D home technology, in favor of leapfrogging HDTV in pursuit of 3-D. The public is just not ready yet. Who wants to watch a movie in their own homes where they are forced to wear some goofy, uncomfortable glasses, just to enjoy a movie?

Please respond while I get some lunch. [​IMG]

11. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Neil, why does James Cameron have to make films for an utterly commercial audience instead of making the documentaries he's obviously loving to do? If there was no money in releasing them, he would be having to fund their production & release out of his own pocket & I don't think that's the case.

3D or 2D, he's doing what he loves. Unfortunately that doesn't appear to be the big blockbuster films you want, but that's life.

12. peter m. wilson

peter m. wilson Stunt Coordinator

Hi Guys,
    The only input that I have concerns IMAX and 3D. Quite frankly I made the mistake of seeing Crouching Tiger on a Imax screen and it was very grainy.

On the other hand I saw the Imax 3D Cirque du Soleil production of Journey of Man which was awsome. Unfortuneately the dvd did not come in 3D but was still excellent.

I haven't seen very many 3D show so if its on in Toronto IM going to check it out.

It's now the only thing that will get me into the theatre. When they have it availiable for home that will be that.

Iremember in the summer there was a Formula 1 Racing breakfast and IMAX showing by sattelite from wherever it was broadcast. This was in Montreal.

I would imagine when Formula 1 goes HD, it will really be awsome.

Peter M.

13. Neil McCaulley

Brian,

I will be candid. I am selfish. I like Terminator 2. I like Aliens. I like those big explosion monster movies that I look forward to every summer. James may be having fun, and love what he is doing right now, blah, blah, blah, but as a movie patron that shows up to spend between $20 and $30 to be entertained for two hours, that is exactly what I want. TO BE ENTERTAINED! Nothing else. Not to be educated about life in the ocean and certainly not to grade James on his knowledge of ocean biology. I want Arnold in leather, blowing up another CGI bad guy. That's all.

14. Andres Munoz

Andres Munoz Cinematographer

Kinky. [​IMG]

15. Steve Phillips

Bottom line, they are looking for ways to get people into theatres, and IMAX and 3-D are one way. It's something they can't get at home.

I really doubt that they would avoid a technology for a theatrical release just because someone couldn't later get the exact same experience at home.

If that was the case, no one would have ever shot a movie in CinemaScope, because the movie wouldn't look right on TV. They wouldn't have used stereo and multi channel sound because people only had mono TV. That didn't happen.

POLAR EXPRESS is the first feature film ever released in IMAX 3-D, on just 65 screens, and they made $40 million there alone. It took 3500 2-D/flat screens to make an additional $125 million. Do the math.

WHile IMAX 3-D documentaries have been successful for a decade now, no one thinks Hollywood is going to make 3-D features to play on just 65 screens. However the 2-D/3-D release pattern that has been so successful with POLAR EXPRESS may work on a limited basis with other movies too.

Fact is: Cameron is shooting his next feature film in 3-D. He hopes that at least 1000 screens can show it that way when it is released. We'll all just have to see how it plays out.

16. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    I hope Cameron makes regular 35mm polarized 3-D prints of the BATTLE ANGEL feature - I'd love to play it in 3-D at my theatre (where we do 3-D right!).

17. Mark Maltais

Mark Maltais Stunt Coordinator

Mark
    After that "Apology" cheque he got from Titanic I would personally do EXACTLY what he is doing, making movies or documentaries that I would enjoy doing and telling the moron producers to Kiss my Ass!!! He took a hell of risk doing Titanic and even finished the project on his own dime! I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when the execs must have had their meeting about what to do with James [​IMG]

When he's ready I'm sure he'll get back to making movies...he's got a good record so far, I'll trust what he does next. I even enjoyed "Ghost of the Abyss" [​IMG]

18. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    This thread is about Aliens Of The Deep.

I suggest if some members want to complain about James Cameron not doing the type of films they want him to do, start another thread instead of derailing this one with the same old complaints about him.

No offense.[​IMG]

Ebert says the 3D in AOTD is superior to Ghosts Of The Abyss, which I too wasn't crazy about(the 3D, not the film).

Hey Pete, any 3D in the Lafayette's schedule?

19. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    So is this is a documentary about aliens underwater?

20. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    No, it's a documentary about life underwater that seems alien.[​IMG]