What's new

James Cameron talks Avatar Sequels - possibly filmed back to back & more (1 Viewer)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2010/08/07/avatar-sequel-update-james-cameron/

Presumably, once the novel is nailed down, work will begin in earnest on getting the sequel going.

In fact, Cameron hints that the final two films in the planned trilogy could be lumped together into a single mega-production.

"We're actually talking about that. That's not a decision yet," he said. "That is something that makes a lot of sense, given the nature of these productions, because we can bank all the [motion] capture and then go back and do cameras over a period of time."

There's also Cameron's insane schedule beyond the "Avatar" films.

He's got any number of possible projects lined up, stories he's spoken before about wanting to tell, and locking into not one but two multi-year "Avatar" productions will undoubtedly set any other plans back.

Fold both movies into one slightly longer production process, however, and it's a more economical use of that time.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
I wish he would move on to something different. I have a feeling he's going to be stuck on doing sequels for every movie he makes from now on.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
The biggest problem with doing films back-to-back is that there isn't time to reflect about what was right and what was wrong from film to film. Any flaws the second film might have will inevitably show up in the third film.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Chad R

The biggest problem with doing films back-to-back is that there isn't time to reflect about what was right and what was wrong from film to film. Any flaws the second film might have will inevitably show up in the third film.

Didn't seem to hurt the LOTR trilogy much. Besides, as George Lucas has shown, you can tinker with films forever if you're not happy with the original versions and keep re-releasing them.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
The LOTR movies had a pretty good guide to go off of though (some guy named Tolkien wrote some little book about the whole thing ;) ).

This would be more akin to The Matrix sequels.

That said, Cameron seems to have a pretty solid handle on how to pump out a "big" movie like this and still maintain at least an adequete level of storytelling/character.

Honestly though, I can't say I'm really dying to revisit these characters or this world. Underwater Pandora would be cool I guess.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Originally Posted by Pete-D

This would be more akin to The Matrix sequels.

Either those (which I like but admit the quality slacks off from film to film), or the Pirates of the Caribbean films (which just got ridiculously bad). A film is just such a huge undertaking that I don't think more than one should be done at a time. One usually suffers as a result.

Amadeus19

Grip
Real Name
John Livingston
Might I add that a sequel might actually better than the original...Cameron may have learned from possible mistakes from the first one. He has experience under his belt with that kind of movie and maybe can shoot for a higher bar....

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Originally Posted by Amadeus19

Might I add that a sequel might actually better than the original...Cameron may have learned from possible mistakes from the first one. He has experience under his belt with that kind of movie and maybe can shoot for a higher bar....

Yeah, like the way too long run time. If he does a sequel, lets hope he sticks to a 90 minute run time. Avatar was great, just way too long. Not enough meat in the film to require a 160+ minute run time.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I enjoyed the film and didn't feel like it was too long. The Abyss was even longer. I hate going to the cinema and leaving after just 85-90mins, I feel cheated. Tickets aren't cheap, up to £20 a seat in some west end cinemas. Which is ridiculous. I want my moneys worth of sci-fi spectacle, and Avatar delivered.

Looking forward to sequels and the even longer special edition of Avatar, coming up soon on Blu-ray.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Avatar is long but James Cameron knows how to keep his movies moving at a good pace (and I've seen lots of 90 and 120 minute movies that feel alot longer than Avatar did). Considering that Cameron hasn't made a feature that runs under 2 hours in more than 25 years, I don't think there's any chance that he'll make a 90 minute Avatar sequel.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Steve Christou

I hate going to the cinema and leaving after just 85-90mins, I feel cheated.

Unfortunately, I think this idea has infected the movie industry and is why there are so many needlessly long movies today. I'd much rather see a well paced movie that runs 90 minutes over a movie that runs a bloated 2 hours or longer (Transformers, Superman Returns, Pirates Of The Caribbean, Clash Of The Titans and on and on) simply because the audience is concerned with the running time being long even when it becomes a detriment to the overall quality of the movie.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Oh bugger off Travis I don't think audiences give a crap about running times, it's just me spoilt by some epic running times and wanting more.

The billion dollar grossing Toy Story 3 was barely more than 90mins long sans end credits and no one cared. Cloverfield? 70mins? And the movies you mentioned didn't feel long to me. Hey I can't help it if you have a low boredom threshold.

Oh and we're off track... Avatar sequels yeah bring em on.

koufax

Auditioning
Real Name
Huckelsberry
You can't possibly be saying that "cloverfield" was a good movie no matter what the run time. Don't be that guy.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Which guy? Travis? ;) Thankfully I waited and saw Cloverfield on DVD, shaky-cam movies hurt my head. Great monster, just couldn't get a decent look at it.

No shaky-cam in Avatar but the 3-D did give me vertigo in some scenes. Sequels, woohoo. :)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by koufax

You can't possibly be saying that "cloverfield" was a good movie no matter what the run time. Don't be that guy.

Yes, Steve, don't be 'that guy'. You know the guy that has his own opinion despite what the internet movie lords of taste decree.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Originally Posted by Steve Christou

This is where we differ Steve, as long as I walk out happy, I don't care how short the run time is. But then again, I rarely even go, and you said why...it's not cheap, and it's not worth paying that price for 99% of the films that hit the silver screen.

If these directors must have 120+ run times then theaters should start introducing intermissions.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=29252

Quote:

James Cameron's begun his publicity tour for the extended edition Avatar DVD and Blu-ray, and he's been talking about Avatar sequels and the possibility that he'll make Cleopatra.

Avatar first: the director indicated that he would make two sequels, back-to-back.

"Our plan right now is to do two and three as a single large production and release them a year apart. In order to do that, we have to refine our technical processes beyond the end of where we were finishing 'Avatar' one a year ago. We need to future-proof ourselves out five or six years to the end of the third film."

He's also hard at work on the Avatar novelisation, which he says ends at the same moment as the first film but contains much more backstory, about the world of Pandora, man's arrival there and Sigourney Weaver's Grace.

Incidentally, he also indicates that she could return for the sequels in some form. "Who said she died? Nobody dies in a science fiction movie. Whether Grace lives or dies depends more on Sigourney's agent than anything."

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
The sticking point with getting the deal done for the two 'Avatar' sequels is cost. While I haven't heard a number, I do know that the Cameron and the studio are said to be "far apart" in terms of how much Cameron wants to shoot the movies as opposed to what Fox is willing to pay. Depending on who you talk to, Fox spent in the neighborhood of $250 million on the first film and don't want to shell out more than $500 million for the sequels. Cameron's camp believe that since "Avatar" has so far earned $2.8 billion worldwide at the box office, that the writer/director/producer deserves essentially a blank check for the follow-ups.

The studio is also leery because they absolutely took a bath on the toy-line for "Avatar". While it is the most successful movie in history, the toy sales were extremely disappointing. At the end of the day, I do think Cameron and Fox will come to an agreement, but expect a little bit of posturing from both sides.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Originally Posted by TerryRL

The studio is also leery because they absolutely took a bath on the toy-line for "Avatar". While it is the most successful movie in history, the toy sales were extremely disappointing. At the end of the day, I do think Cameron and Fox will come to an agreement, but expect a little bit of posturing from both sides.

I could be wrong but to the best of my knowledge, it's the company that made the Avatar toys that would lose out and not Fox. Fox sold the rights to the toy company (whoever it was) and that company didn't make money but Fox had their money either way. Obviously, Fox won't be able to sell the rights to the toy line for the sequels for as much or maybe they won't be able to sell them at all but they didn't lose any thing on the toy line's failure.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Fox did get a percentage of the toy sales, which ultimately didn't amount to much.

Both the studio and the toy company are on the hook for any potential sequels for the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks