What's new

james cameron -king of the world (1 Viewer)

chris winters

Second Unit
I know cameron isnt hurting for money, but does anyone know his aproximate net worth? I wondered how much he made after Titanic. Obviously he was in no hurry to work again after its success.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"And Cruise was the glue that held "Rain Man" together, he got shafted out of a best supporting Oscar for his role as Charlie Babbitt."

Patrick speaks the truth.

"I know cameron isnt hurting for money, but does anyone know his aproximate net worth?"

Who knows? His growing army of ex-wives might be digging into that Titanic fortune.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

Speaking as a current submarine officer, Crimson Tide is horrible in its portrayal of the Navy/Submarines but stands just fine as a kick-ass thriller.

One thing I've never seen any movie capture is the profane wit of most sailors. It would likely offend a sizable portion of the population if people knew how guys really talked once they were out at sea but some pretty amazing words come out of most sailor's mouths.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
You mean Down Periscope with Tom Arbold and Kelsey Grammer isn't a true-life representation of life on a submarine?!?

CAN'T BE!!!! All my illusions crumble before me!

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Chris,
Having not yet seen The Last Detail (but knowing the premise), I can say with some certainty that it doesn't come close :)

I agree a bit with ER. Hollywood doesn't try and get things right...it tries to entertain. I had friends of mine at Godzilla (the 1998 spectacle) complaining about the subs in NY Harbor :) It's a fricking movie with a 10 story tall Lizard...who gives a crap about the subs ;) Crimson Tide is as realistic in it's depiction as any other profession that gets raked across the coals in Tinseltown.

Kevin,
I was stationed in VA Beach myself.

Take care,
Chuck

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

That one was definitely the closest. My dad told me a story that he went to see that with his aunt just after he got out of the Navy. After the movie she said she enjoyed it but hated the language. My dad informed her that was how sailors talk and she couldn't believe it.

chris winters

Second Unit
"I agree a bit with ER. Hollywood doesn't try and get things right...it tries to entertain. I had friends of mine at Godzilla (the 1998 spectacle) complaining about the subs in NY Harbor It's a fricking movie with a 10 story tall Lizard...who gives a crap about the subs Crimson Tide is as realistic in it's depiction as any other profession that gets raked across the coals in Tinseltown."

I think this hits on one of the reason James Cameron stands out as an amazing director. He does care how real stuff appears in his movies, especially the technical stuff. And much of the time they feature elements as fantastic as a giant lizard. It is that exact combination that lends cameron a lot of his appeal. It makes the amazing elements of his movies that much more affective when they are set against a backdrop of apparent realism and detail. His sub in the abyss is one of the only examples cited as being pretty right on.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Well, I'd like to think that some producers try to both get things right and entertain; esp. where Tony Scott/Ridley Scott/Jerry Bruckheimer are concerned. From Antoine's Fuqua's comments on Tears Of the Sun commentary re Navy SEALS, to producers Doug Wick and Marc Alexander's comments on Spy Game commentary re Vietnam, to Black Hawk Down, to Dale Dye and/or Harry Humphries involvement on pretty much every one of these films, I'd like to think the military gets a little more accurate treatment than many other professions portrayed in Hollywood films by these guys than by producers/directors who don't even bother to be concerned about accuracy/hire consultants who actually been in the service.

-p

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

One of the things that hurt Crimson Tide in the realism department was the lack of Navy cooperation. The Navy said they would help if they took out the mutiny- which is essentially the core of the movie.

They did have a couple of ex-Navy guys as military advisors but it looks like they were largely ignored.

It was likely for the best in the long run since its still a damn good film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks