James Cagney on DVD

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Lyle H., Feb 16, 2004.

1. Lyle H.

Lyle H. Stunt Coordinator

James Cagney is poorly represented on DVD. We have a 2-Disc SE of Yankee Doodle Dandy (WHY Warner chose this over White Heat, Angels With Dirty Faces, or Public Enemy for 2-Disc treatment is BEYOND ME) a sub-par DVD of Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye, a Fox DVD of 13 Rue Madeline, a bare bones DVD of One, Two, Three and several crappy PD releases.

Hopefully, at the upcoming Warner chat, they confirm that the Cagney films are in the works. Angels With Dirty Faces, White Heat, The Public Enemy, The Roaring Twenties, The Oklahoma Kid, and G-Men...among others. Should I give up hope and buy the VHS releases of these films so I can convert them to DVD? Or is there hope?

Speaking of which, many of the great Eddie G. Robinson films are missing on DVD as well. Little Caesar, The Woman in the Window, etc.

Anyone know ANYTHING? Thanks.

Lyle H.

2. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    YANKEE DOODLE DANDY is far and away my favorite Cagney film. Indeed it is one of my favorite films of all time, and I as a general rule don't like musicals.

However I agree that he is underrepresented on DVD at the moment. You shouldn't give up hope though. The last Warners chat produced some noise about more releases from Cagney, Flynn, etc being in the pipleline pending restoration. I'm sure Warners will expound on this next month. Warners puts out great DVDs; I'm sure they'll release them when they feel they have a product they can be proud of.

ANGELS would be a keeper; I'm actually hoping for a Dead End Kids box set (to be followed up by a Bowery Boys series since Warners owns the rights to those films also).

Steve

3. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I'm pretty sure WB said at the last chat that Cagney movies would be released in the near future, though nothing further has been said as far as I know. The titles you mentioned in your second paragraph would all find their way onto my shelf as soon as I could afford them all. I also like Each Dawn I Die, so I'd add that to your list. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if we hear about some of these at the chat, so you might want to hold off on those VHS purchases until at least then.

4. Lyle H.

Even if they announce the "big four" (Public Enemy, White Heat, Angels With Dirty Faces, and The Roaring Twenties) I'm worried that we will never see The Oklahoma Kid b/c it is a western, and not a popular one at that!

On a totally unrelated note, I hope we get Freaks (I know this was announced but was it announced offically?), The Petrified Forest, Captain Blood, The Sea Hawk, Future Installments of the Lon Chaney Collection (Unholy Three, West of Zanzibar), Val Lewton, and future Looney Tunes sets.

5. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I think perhaps "Yankee Doodle Dandy" was chosen is because it is a great film & musical & because it won Cagney his only Oscar & because Cagney is able to display all of his talents. The other 3 films you mention are IMHO inferior to "Yankee Doodle Dandy" when compared against each other.

6. Greg_S_H

Greg
    You have a point about the Oklahoma Kid, but maybe the Cagney/Bogart angle will swing it. IIRC, they only made three films together, and two of them are a cinch for DVD at some point. Hopefully, OK can ride their coattails.

You have good taste in movies, Lyle. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Lyle H.

Thanks, Greg. Sometimes I get antsy because these classic Cagney/Bogart films, among others, aren't on DVD, but trash like Spice World is. Atleast we have a 2-disc Special Edition of Treasure of the Sierra Madre, my second favorite film of all-time (Freaks being the first).

8. TimJS

TimJS Second Unit

If late 2004 is considered 'near future'.

Barrie Maxwell is showing an Oct release for the Flynn box on his db.

Tim

9. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Stunt Coordinator

I'd like to add a mixture of classic and obsucure Cagney gems to those already mentioned: Taxi, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Footlight Parade, City For Conquest, Captain Of The Clouds, The Strawberry Blonde, The Bride Came C.O.D. and Love Me Or Leave Me. It'd also be great if Universal would dust off Man Of A Thousand Faces.

Jeffrey

10. TonyDale

TonyDale Second Unit

Is Paramount giving us Milos Forman's RAGTIME in 2004?

11. Greg_S_H

Greg
  12. Robert Dunnill

Robert Dunnill Second Unit

My tagline states my Cagney interest. [​IMG]

13. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    When I got my Sony GXD7 DVD Recorder at christmas time TCM showed White Heat it was one of the first things I duped over to DVD-R. A few weeks ago they show Public Enemy and I grabbed that. They'll hold me over until we get a true DVD release. I had never seen White Heat and now it's one of my Favorite Gangster films of all time.

14. PaulaJ

PaulaJ Supporting Actor

>It'd also be great if Universal would dust off Man Of A Thousand Faces.

I thought that was released on DVD a while ago.

I'd also love to have Ceiling Zero on DVD, too -- along with all those other great titles already mentioned.

15. Alistair_M

Alistair_M Second Unit

I'm hoping for another Warners legends Boxset with 3 more from Cagney, Flynn and Bogart.

My choices:

Cagney: Angels with Dirty Faces
    Flynn: The Sea Hawk
    Bogart: The Big Sleep

each 2 disk SE....

and towards the end of the year... Warner Legends 3

Cagney: The Roaring Twenties
    Flynn: Captain Blood
    Bogart: Maltese Falcon

I'm sure these boxsets would sell.

16. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

BTW-A great companion to "Yankee Doodle Dandy" would be the Bob Hope classic "The Seven Little Foys" in which James Cagney reprises his role as George M. Cohan and does a table top dance duet with Mr. Hope.

17. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    Seven Little Foys is a nice film, but sadly only available on DVD as a public domain title.

---
    So many films, so little time...

18. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

It was released by Image a few years ago and I stumbled across a copy in a discount bin for $5. It's a pretty decent anamorphic transfer to boot.

I'm looking forward to "White Heat", "Public Enemy", and quite a few others.

19. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I love Cagney, but I'm also hoping for some vintage Paul Muni. I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang anyone?

20. Greg_S_H

Greg
    Definitely. It's a good movie anyway, but I love the version of St. Louis Blues it contains. Also, I'd love to have Muni in the original Scarface without having to buy another movie. [​IMG]