What's new

James Bond Ultimate Ed Framing Issues (1 Viewer)

Greg Black

Second Unit
Unfortunately for me, I only managed to purchase 007 Collection Volume 1 when it came out, but not the other two. Fortunately though, these new UEs are available separately now, and hopefully they will drive down the price of the original SE releases. I'll just buy the few UEs that are an improvement (if they really truly are) and then fill in the rest of the series with the SEs.

But, all in all, this is a major disgrace to the Bond series, and it really hurts the fans. The very people they are targeting with these new releases - the Bond fans - are hurt the most. The casuals aren't going to buy these releases. They've either already bought them the first time, or will rent the new versions.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

I doubt it. Lazenby does say to Diana Rigg, "Good morning. My name is Bond. James Bond."

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Pre-dawn then.

In any case, that drastic of a change had to be approved by the Wilson/Broccoli family and/or Eon. If Lowry asked about the camera crew in the mirror in Man With the Golden Gun and was told not to remove them, then surely they asked about the color timing of the opening beach sequence in OHMSS, especially considering the rest of the film does not have near as much of a changed coloring.

dailW

Stunt Coordinator
watched ohmss over the weekend and its dawn when he meets diana riggs .i'm still kicking myself for not buying the dvds when they were out the first time

RichardCrowther

Stunt Coordinator

Well, you'd think so, but then, how do you explain the appalling colour and cropping on Goldeneye, or the equally appalling cropping on A View To a Kill? How do you explain the lack of mono soundtracks? How do you explain the missing captions on Octopussy and The Living Daylights? How do you explain the fact that player-generated captions are still being used at all, given the complaints the last time round? The fact is that mistakes and misjudgements have been made, regardless of who was or was not consulted.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Ryan, what I did was buy my favorites, starting with the classic Bonds. Didn't care about the case, I prefer them on shelves. I still have the previous lot so I'm basically double-dipping.

No complaints here, the new releases look gorgeous, check out my Goldfinger screenshots on this page. Watched You Only Live Twice & OHMSS at the weekend, fantastic picture and sound. The music score and action sequences benefit greatly from 5.1 surround.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway

Not including the mono soundtracks and having issues with the narrative subtitles are authoring decisions that are made at a later stage in the prepping of a DVD.

However, issues with color timing and framing are handled much earlier in the process, and in the specific instance of the Bond titles you have Lowry DTS working directly with Eon Productions regarding it. I'm not trying to suggest the exact reason for the different color timing and framing that has occured, but these are very likely conscious decisions made by those who own the films. Perhaps Mr. Robert Harris or someone who has contacts with Lowry DTS can get specifics.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
On a slightly different note, I have yet to find any comments on the final scene of FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE. Any chance of the jump cut being altered?

Matthew Marino

Stunt Coordinator
You know, I just watched that the other day and the jump cut was as jarring as ever. It essentially ruins the end of the movie since you can just tell something isn't right. Hopefully the footage still exists.

Matthew Marino

Stunt Coordinator
Bond looks at the film of him getting it on in the hotel and says "he was right". Originally he continued "I look better in a close up" or something to that extent. I guess this was considered too risky for 1963 so they just cut i out.

RichardCrowther

Stunt Coordinator

I'm sure George Lucas was aware of every decision made regarding the Star Wars discs, but that didn't prevent pink lightsabres from making an appearance. Mistakes happen. THe trick is to limit them as much as possible, and learn from previous mistakes, to prevent the same ones happening again.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway

That's fine and dandy. I have no problem with people complaining. I was simply trying to make sure people were aiming their blame at those who would have made the decisions.

So, to summarize:

If you have a complaint about missing subtitles, blame the authors and the quality control for the R2 discs.

If you have a complaint about the lack of original soundtracks, blame the authors who decided to leave them off the R2 discs.

If you have a complaint about the framing/color timing, take it to Lowry DTS or Eon Productions.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

Is this confirmed? I'll probably avoid the cropped DVDs, but if the original mono tracks are included, I'll definitely double-dip on titles like FRWL and OHMSS.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston

I have it. I assume you mean at the end when he dumps the film in the canal. As I recall, there is a scene missing and they do explain it. I have to listen to it again to be certain of the facts. I'll do so tonight... hopefully I'll remember.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks