What's new

JAMES BOND ULTIMATE COLLECTION (1 Viewer)

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II

You could check this out. Also dvdcompare.net is helpful too. At least the majority of them have their original theatrical soundtracks with their remixed ones. Good luck!

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I'd say the new versions are all better than the originals, even with some of the issues which have popped up (cropping on A View to a Kill & Goldeneye and some color timing changes on other films). The Connery films all look excellent and the other titles benefit from new transfers as well. Although The Spy Who Loved Me has a good deal of edge enhancement.

The only film that doesn't carry over all of the old extras is Die Another Day. Basically, nothing on the second disc from the SE except the stills gallery makes it onto the UE. This was probably because the old edition was packed with extras and they needed room for the ones they ran out of space for last time.

John H Ross

Screenwriter
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before (I can't see anything here) but is there something weird about the layer change on Moonraker?

My Denon 2900 plays virtually every single one of my discs without a trace of a layer change, but on the Moonraker UE (R1) it jams for a second just before the Jaws alley attack in Rio around the 59 minute mark.

I've tried 2 copies and it jams in the same place.

ARGH.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II

Hopefully the same thing doesn't happen on my OPPO DV-971HD multi-region player. I just bought all four Volumes yesterday and my player has been playing everything I've put in it. AND I got an extra booklet for You Only Live Twice! Just thought it was weird cause all four volumes had all the respective booklets though.
There should be a comprehensive site like dvdcompare.net which also lists layer changes. Moonraker is by far the corniest 007 Official film though, in a good sense though of course.:crazy:

Jim-M

Second Unit
I see the same thing on a Denon 2200. You get so used to no layer changes that you forget what a distraction they can be.

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
Slightly off topic, but I was wondering if anyone here at HTF won a prize in the Ultimate Bond DVD competition that came with the R2 versions?

I entered the comp months ago (bought a couple of R2's before buying the R1 sets), and was amazed to get an email yesterday saying I'd won a 007 'Scene It' game..... Not bad, but the 1st prize was better! (A year's loan of an Aston Martin Vanquish!)

007magazine

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin

A comprehensive overview of the good, the bad and the ugly transfers with a complete list of specifications can be found on the 007 MAGAZINE website.

007magazine.co.uk

Random Hero

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
As I had posted a while back, Encore / Starz channels have been showing the Bond movies as part of their regular rotation of movies.

Today, they showed OHMSS, and I decided to give it a look again. The movie begins with a new, recent United Artists title card, and then goes into an old-scratched up dirty print. So, they aren't showing the Lowry-restored versions.

Anyway, during the beach scene before the credits, the picture doesn't look like that on the old SE DVD. That being said, it doesn't seem to be quite as blue as the screencaptures I've seen from the UE version. However, it does have quite a bit of blue to it, resembling the UE more than the sunrise we're used to from the SE.

I remember someone telling me that perhaps the picture would seem that way because of the TV that I am viewing on. I viewed the scene today on several TVs, and all of them had that blue tint to the scene. Again, not as blue as the UE, but definitely not looking like the sunrise on the SE.

Isn't it strange how there are so many different looks to the same movies as they've been aired over the years?

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member

Thanks for that! Very informative. Looks like we made out a little better than the region 2 folks. I went ahead and got the Ultimates from the Amazon sale, but it looks like I'll be hanging on to some of the special editions as well.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill

Thanks for the link, Kevin! That was a very informative article!

The comment from Cameron had to do with the fact that the article got the name of this forum wrong. It had nothing to do with the link posting, which again, was a great link for which we are grateful!

- Steve

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Yes, thanks for the link! I spent so much time there I forgot to say so earlier!

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher

I just popped in my copy of Moonraker in my Denon 1200 which can tell me what layer the disc is on and the layer change is at 56:58.

The glitch you are talking about is at 59:25. Which happens on both my Denon 1200 & 2200 units.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Is it just the Denon players that are having problems with this or is the Moonraker UE just defective?

Are there any pausing glitches (that AREN'T layer-changes) on any of the other UE editions? What about Octopussy??

John H Ross

Screenwriter

Well, I'd say the Moonraker UE is defective since a) Denon players don't make a habbit of picking films at random and playing them incorrectly and b) it would appear this is not, in fact, the layer change so there's something else up!

Just another glitch to add to the list.

I would be interested to know if any other players are having problems.

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher

I also ran it through a Panasonic DVD recorder I have and my XBOX, same result the pause/stutter happens at 59:25

The discs are defective.

John H Ross

Screenwriter

Wonderful. Way to go, MGM.

I'm surprised this wasn't picked up sooner.

I wonder if the single disc edition will be any better...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks