What's new

James Bond Screen Comparison Collection (1 Viewer)

captainjoe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam
Top -1998 R1 SE
Bottom -2006 R1 UE

Dr. No

From Russia with Love

Goldfinger

Thunderball

You Only Live Twice

On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Diamonds are Forever

Live and Let Die

The Man with the Golden Gun

The Spy Who Loved Me

Moonraker

For Your Eyes Only

Octopussy

A View to a Kill

The Living Daylights

Licence to Kill

More coming soon...

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Wow. Nice job. The compression artifacts in the old transfers look terrible!

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
Boy, the colors on Tball and OHMSS seem a little drab and not "technicolor-ish". IS it just limited to these scenes or throughout the whole films?

captainjoe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam
The movies look better when you're actually watching them. The tone-down colours are way better. The old ones look too over-saturated. No one has a face that orange.:)

Robin_B

Stunt Coordinator
That's a bit of a mish mash. Some look better some look worse. The contrast and color on OHMSS looks much better on the old version. Dr No is a big improvement (in that scene anyway).

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
Hah, I actually just saw it again on my monitor at home and noticed the "orange face". Having seen these in 35mm/IB tech, to me the top pics look more like they're supposed to on film, the pics below of the new release looks way too dull. But, I haven't seen them on DVD yet ....

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I am finding that screen shots are not a good way to judge any DVD image. I have done a comparison on my plasma screen and I do find that the old SE Bonds, the early Connery films and OHMSS do look noticeably dirty, and over saturated. As to whether the new UE look dull, they don't! Compare the SE and UE DVD on my set-up and OHMSS actually looks very rich and colorful. I noticed the colors of the neckties on Draco's henchmen, they just pop! I never noticed them before. A lot of stuff just pops out at you on the new UE's that I never noticed before. But the colors are not over saturated. The colors look "right".

Captainjoe made a great effort to present the screen grabs here. I would use them to compare image quality, but not colors.

Amphinomous

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris

It's worth noting that all the SE screen caps in this comparison are jpegs that have been compressed to a file size that is 10 times smaller than the UE pngs. The file size of the first screen cap is 46kb for the SE and 468kb for the UE. Surely that could not be considered a fair comparison?

captainjoe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam
Yeah sorry I just realized that because I did the SE months ago in preparation for the UEs. Then when I did the UEs I saved as bitmaps because before I realized that BMPs provide better quality. I forgot I saved the older ones as JPGs. I'll note it on my comparison, thanks for the telling me that.:D

captainjoe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam
I could go and recapture the SE as BMP. I guess I'll start.;) It shouldn't take me too long and I've got nothing else to do this Christmas. I'm sorry guys about that screw up.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
All the problems people have been having with these new transfers are peanuts compared to the unmitigated disasters the old ones were. I still have nightmares about all the dirt and grime caked over OHMSS, and all that misquito noise in Goldfinger.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
With all the flap over the "horrendous" cropping of GoldenEye, how come no one is creating an uproar over the additional image on the top and sides of Thunderball UE? Surely that wasn't the intention if that wasn't the framing on the SE. :)

Jim-M

Second Unit
To my eye, the skin tone of Bond in YOLT looks much more realistic in the UE. Note the tan neck, untanned chest, and tanned forearms. Very typical for a white male. In Thunderball, the UE looks much sharper. The SE looks fuzzy in comparison. Also note the building to the right of Largo. The color of the stone looks more realistic to me based on what I see in the real world. I can see where you're coming from in regards to a blue feel in that shot, but in comparison the SE looks like it has a yellow filter on top of it.

captainjoe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam

I agree with that. I've never seen anyone who has that orange of a skin tone. The tan line does look more realistic.
I showed a friend of mine the SE of Thunderball and he said that the above scene looks like crap compared to the new one. Once you see what it looks like on your television then you'll see it is much more suitable. Perhaps it is a little too blue but it is better than the SE, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks