What's new

James Bond Question (1 Viewer)

Anthony I

Stunt Coordinator
I remember reading somewhere that the Bond movies are going to be done over in the near future. Is this true or should I pick up the ones that are now available.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i read that too.
supposedly they would be available to promote the next film, so it would be a couple years off.

sadly, the a/v on the many of the early discs doesn't really hold up anymore, but on the flip side, they are cheap now, and the extras are generally very well done.

Haden

Supporting Actor
Uh... they just re-released all of them in 2003 and someone is already anticipating the next re-release? Jeez...

Russ Felton

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know if they plan to release the movies that are in the last two box sets (the ones that were released for this Xmas) individually?

Russ

Haden

Supporting Actor
I heard they are going to be released individually sometime in April. Hope it's true. I only need to get OHMSS and You Only Live Twice.

Jeff Swearingen

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
The "re-release" in 2003 was just a reboxing of the discs that were put out in 1999-2000. I've heard rumors of a remastering for 2005, but I can't remember where. Can anyone confirm or clarify this?

Jim Dalton

Stunt Coordinator

This is too funny. My wife and I just watched those 2 movies within the last couple of days. As usual, we enjoy them a great deal with OHMSS being my all-time favorite with Goldeneye right behind it.

Jeff Swearingen

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
On a side note, does anyone know if From Russia With Love was uncut on the Criterion laserdisc? If so I'll look into buying one but if not I'll just keep the MGM DVD I have.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Yes. The current Bond DVD's are the same Special Edition versions that were released in 1999-2000.
There is a restoration process going on with Dr.No through The Man With the Golden Gun. The audio is being redone in 5.1. The original audio will also be included on each film.

http://www.mi6.co.uk/sections/articl...?t=&s=articles

I'm really looking forward to these new versions. Hopefully in 2005, when Bond 21 comes out..

The current ones are no slouch. I have them all and they were the reason I had to get a DVD player!
MGM did a fine job with the films and awesome documentary extras.
If you can wait a while then do so. I recommend the current ones though. They are very well done, in my biased opinion. :)

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Whenever OHMSS and You Only Live Twice are sold invidually I would be extremely tempted to pick them up depending on what my mood is. I'm aware that the 5.1 versions are in the works but I don't know if could hold out until December 2005 to pick up these 2 titles.

Good thing AMC is tempering my judgement by playing the Bond movies. ;)

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams
Well Gary, you might want to look on Ebay now...they shouldn't be too pricy.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Ebay? I don't do ebay. Actually I don't do any online purchasing. I like to get out and shop. These days it's the only time that allows me to leave my miniscule apartment and actually interact with people. :)

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I think I'm prepared to wait until 2005 for the new versions. :) This is one of those situations in which if I happen to run across those 2 movies between now and 2005 I'll seriously consider purchasing them depending on price and such.

Jim Dalton

Stunt Coordinator

I wouldn't be too excited about that. My wife and I watched Goldfinger last night on AMC and it was cut all to hell. Some of the best Bond scenes were eliminated.

SHAME ON AMC!!!:angry:

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
Check Best Buy whenever you are there. I recently found The Man with the Golden Gun, and The Spy Who Loved Me for sale individually. Now I just need 3 more (counting Never Say Never Again).

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I saw Tim Haxton's link above to the Bond site that has the article on the remastering to 5.1 audio on the early Bonds.

From what I read in the article, it sounded like a clever way to get the mono music tracks to 5.1. But I'm surprised there has not been any comments that this is creating a possiblly altered version. Also, the sound effects sounded like they'd be recreated. But according to Tim's comments, I guess as the original audio is retained, thats a good thing.

While the audio for Hitchcock's Vertigo has an audio track that was saved from tapes that were one step from dust, they did have to recreate some or all of the sound effects. That effort was great as the music and dialog were saved, but not the sound effects IIRC how it was done.

For Bond, a series of loved films, I wonder how the purists will feel about this effort.

As for the re-issue in 2005, so soon from the current release, I hope they are Hi-Def releases!

My 2 cents. Nelson

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks