What's new

James Bond Question (1 Viewer)

Tanner

Stunt Coordinator
I have seen 2 different versions of certain James Bond films out on DVD. Both vesions are put out by MGM. One has a gold THX strip accross the bottom and the other version does not. The version without the THX strip, i think, is a special edition. Does anyone know the differances between the copies. Which version is better. Since they are OOP, Im buying them off ebay and want to bid on the best possible versions. thanks.

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
The ones without the THX seal are indeed the special editions. The THX-branded DVDs have very few special features, whereas the special editions have commentaries, documentaries, deleted scenes, etc. Unless you're a fan of P&S
rolleyes.gif
(the non-SE's have P&S and widescreen), pick up the special editions.
-Tom
------------------
There is nothing wrong with any of the surrounds on your Forrest Gump DVD! It's ok!!!

Frank L

Stunt Coordinator
Absolutely, go for the Special Editions, they're all fantastic. MGM did a good job with these ones. Be sure to pick them soon because there's a rumor flying around that they're now OOP (or soon will be).
------------------
Frank
DVD Collection | Website

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Tanner, the versions with the THX on the bottom is the original release. The DVDs without are the special editions and yes, I agree that MGM did a fantastic job with these DVDs. If I recall correctly, the SEs have more extras on them like the commentary tracks. Go for those!
I believe that all of the Bond movies are on moratorium. The same thing has happened the last few years. When GoldenEye and Tomorrow Never Dies were released on VHS in their respective years, the moratorium was lifted and all of the VHS tapes were available for sale. I'm sure the same thing will happen with the DVDs.
------------------
ep2.jpg

Mike_S

Stunt Coordinator
Another difference between the THX and non THX: The THX (first DVD's) of DR.NO, FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE, GOLDFINGER are all framed at 1.66:1 whereas all of the later non THX versions Special Editions of the same three movies are framed at 1.85:1

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks