What's new

James Bond individual Blu-rays Target, Best Buy, and Wal-mart exclusives? (1 Viewer)

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Originally Posted by Kenneth_C /t/324068/james-bond-individual-blu-rays-target-best-buy-and-wal-mart-exclusives/90#post_3991342
Getting the Best Buy Bonds is definitely a case of YMMV this weekend.
I ordered YOLT & OHMSS online last night for in store pickup. Got the "Come in & pick them up" confirmation email and everything, but when I went into the store today, the clerk could not find my order on hold. He asked a floor manager, who told him that the release date wasn't until next Tuesday, so I couldn't get them today.
Remaining calm, I pointed out that (a) he was holding a copy of my confirmation email in his hand; and (b) the website said the release date was the 2nd. He tried to argue that last point -- stating that it was the WHOLE set that was released on the 2nd, and not the individual discs -- until I convinced him to, you know, check it out online himself. And, sure enough, the website showed 10/2 as the release date.
He then kept insisting "Well, it's a typo" -- but I wasn't budging (pointing out, once again, that he was HOLDING MY CONFIRMING EMAIL IN HIS HAND.) We danced around for a bit until he finally contacted a higher level manager -- who told him to go ahead and give me the discs! He had to go find them in the storeroom, and they were priced at $14.99. Since I had paid $9.99 online, I figured I'd effectively received the U&S discount, without having to actually turn in any discs. And so, I am happy.
Same thing happened to me. After discussing with mgr I got them today and the Craig reissues, which also are due 10/23. 9.99 each!

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
Called Best Buy in New Hartford, NY about my BB Bond titles today after receiving "YOUR ITEMS ARE READY FOR PICKUP" notice yesterday from BB ... and indeed they would not let me have the titles until tomorrow.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I got the same notice from Best Buy in Waldorf (Md.), called ahead, and was told all three were indeed ready for me to pick up. I went there and . . . .
They gave them to me, no problem!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Glad you guys are finding them all out finally!
It will be nice to have those free Skyfall tickets too!!!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Wayne Klein said:
I did hit the Walmart Superstore (or whatever they are called) and they had no display, no Bond titles and no idea. Man this has been a poorly executed campagin on the part of Wal-Mart. What's the point of exclusives if they can't uniformly get them out.
Oh, and they had no idea what I was referring to.
For those who have found "Diamonds Are Forever" I've heard the transfer isn't the best--is that true?
Here's what Robert Harris had to say..
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/324222/a-few-words-about-diamonds-are-forever-in-blu-ray
I thought it was a solid transfer. There were a few moments where I really was surprised with the detail. DTS HD MA audio is very fine!
I'll have to give it another watch soon. it's one of my favorites.
Working through the Bond 50 set with the 9 titles. Still have Twice, OHMSS (did sample it a bit), Octopussy, AVTAK, Goldeneye and Spy (sampled) to watch..

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
It's release day and the Best Buy in OKC had about 6 each of the 3 exclusives plus about a dozen other Bond Blu-ray discs. All of them were priced at $9.99 and all of them had the Skyfall tickets, even the non-exclusive discs had the tickets.

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein
Someone (on this thread?) mentioned that the Walmart exclusives were available a couple of days ago in Canada. I went to the nearest store and they had maybe 10 copies of each of the other movies in a display, but Diamonds are Forever was sold out, and I got one of the last few of Octopussy and Goldeneye. Decided I could end up waiting forever for the 2-disc version of Quantum of Solace, so picked that the one disc version of that as well. $9.83 each. Unfortunately NO movie money on any of the packages.
Last night I went to another Walmart and looked around the DVD area a while and found nothing. Asked someone and they said that they had a whole bunch of them and when the guy turned around they were all gone, so he got some other guys to find out where they went and they told him that a different guy had taken them all two minutes before we got there to put them on display in the front.
So the guy who knew about the other guy told me that I should go to the 12 items or less line. Then, find a maze near there. Go into the maze until you get to the end of the first aisle. Look for the drinks cooler. To the left of that is a shelf. At the very top (he indicated about 10 feet up) there would be some Bond movies.
As I headed off to the front of the store trying to remember all of the directions, he called after me, "But they're Blu-rays."
So we find the till and the maze and the drinks and the box (5 feet high), and there are about 16 slots with 10-15 movies each, but not a single Diamonds are Forever.
I noticed that the aisle on the other side of the maze-wall had a little DVD rack, and I could see 3 blue cases amongst the DVDs. I reached over and pulled them to our side to reveal 2 For Your Eyes Onlys and THE LAST Diamonds are Forever.
Also, no Movie Money on any of the packages at this store either, so I am assuming Walmart discs don't come with movie money in Canada.
Also, logged in early this morning to print out my 6 Movie Money vouchers from the October 2 releases.
I had to indicate which theatre I will be going to and my name is printed on the vouchers and "ID may be required at the theatre".
Future Shop price has gone from $9.99 to $16.99 on the October 2 releases with Movie Money.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Jay Taylor said:
It's release day and the Best Buy in OKC had about 6 each of the 3 exclusives plus about a dozen other Bond Blu-ray discs.  All of them were priced at $9.99 and all of them had the Skyfall tickets, even the non-exclusive discs had the tickets.
Thanks! I was curious about the tickets on the previously released titles!
So MGM and Fox must've just assumed that Bond 50 buyers don't need to have free tickets huh?
: )
I bought the Bond 50 set.
I had a good laugh about that anyway.

SAM33

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stewart
Just got YOLT and OHMSS at my local Best Buy. Plenty on the shelves, $9.99 each.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
I went to my Best Buy this morning to pick up the three exclusives, which now completes my entire Bond 22-movie series. I had the nine steelbook cases and didn't want to buy the box set and end up with duplicates, and also didn't want to get rid of my steelbooks, so I just bought all the remaining titles individually.
As I walked around the store, the Bond titles were nowhere to be found. I found someone who worked there, asked them about it, and they had no idea what I was talking about. I sent them to the back. After about a ten minute wait, they finally arrived with a cart filled with different Blu-rays, including the James Bond single titles and NONE of the exclusives. I sent them BACK to the back to find the three titles, pointed them out in the Weekly Ad. and they finally arrived with one each, and that was all they had.
The reason none of the other titles had been put out is because the company that now does their Blu-ray displays and placement hadn't yet told them where to put them. Seriously??? Is it any wonder that Best Buy was down 95% in the third Quarter and could very well be going the way of Circuit City soon. Why do I know so much more about what is going on than the people who work there?

Vortex3D

Auditioning
Real Name
Vortex3D
If you need to the Target Exclusive Bond titles but the store keeps telling you they don't have the movie, go to the store and check at the back section that normally have old movies. At my Target store, after telling the salesman over the phone to stop looking at the web site because it doesn't show the Bond titles properly, he looked at the normal section of Blu-ray movies and couldn't find any. I decide to go to the store and found they have every Bond on Blu-ray except exclusives to other stores at the back shelf that normally sell old movies. All the bond titles are $9.99 including The Living Daylights that was previously listed as $14.99. On the shelf display the Bond Blu-rays, if you look closely at the 2nd price tag hidden before the current pricing, some titles are $14.99 and some are $17.99. I assume that will be the normal price when the sales is over.
If you want Skyfall movie voucher, you can only get it from Best Buy Bond movies. Also all at $9.99 except other store exclusives.

Vortex3D

Auditioning
Real Name
Vortex3D
Mike Williams said:
I went to my Best Buy this morning to pick up the three exclusives, which now completes my entire Bond 22-movie series. I had the nine steelbook cases and didn't want to buy the box set and end up with duplicates, and also didn't want to get rid of my steelbooks, so I just bought all the remaining titles individually.
As I walked around the store, the Bond titles were nowhere to be found. I found someone who worked there, asked them about it, and they had no idea what I was talking about. I sent them to the back. After about a ten minute wait, they finally arrived with a cart filled with different Blu-rays, including the James Bond single titles and NONE of the exclusives. I sent them BACK to the back to find the three titles, pointed them out in the Weekly Ad. and they finally arrived with one each, and that was all they had.
The reason none of the other titles had been put out is because the company that now does their Blu-ray displays and placement hadn't yet told them where to put them. Seriously??? Is it any wonder that Best Buy was down 95% in the third Quarter and could very well be going the way of Circuit City soon. Why do I know so much more about what is going on than the people who work there?
Salesmen in stores are only there to ensure the "clueless" customers can find the movie they want that is in front of them. I was at Best Buy today and looking the remaining Bond titles that I haven't got that came out 3 years ago. The salesman came over acted like he knows about Bond movies and then told me they are $14.99 each. I kept saying it's $9.99 but he didn't believe me until point at the stand saying $9.99 for all Bond movies.
Same thing as the computer section. Just don't ask any real questions if you need a salesman to stay around because they will quite walk away if you ask any real technical question.

Vortex3D

Auditioning
Real Name
Vortex3D
Osato said:
Thanks! I was curious about the tickets on the previously released titles!
So MGM and Fox must've just assumed that Bond 50 buyers don't need to have free tickets huh?
: )
I bought the Bond 50 set.
I had a good laugh about that anyway.
I'm guessing any Bond released before this week doesn't come with Skyfall voucher. That includes the complete boxset, Target and Walmart since they all released individual Bond tiles before this week. I asked the stores and sounded like the movie they received already have Skyfall sticker preattached if they got them at the right time.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
Mike Williams said:
As I walked around the store, the Bond titles were nowhere to be found.
Oddly enough, this has mirrored my experience today, on the other side of the planet here in Australia. It's almost as though they don't want us to buy these movies.
The official release date for our James Bond singles was today. I went to two separate JB Hifi stores (big chain stores similar to Best Buy) here, expecting a Bond display, or even loose copies in the alphabetical shelves, to be found relatively easily. No dice. Couldn't find anything to remote indicate these blu-rays had even been released, much less a sign of actual copies. And this was from around lunchtime to 3:00pm, so I was hardly in at the crack of dawn.
In the second store, I finally managed to find a sales assistant who didn't look like he was too busy to actually help a customer (instead of whatever it is they pretend to do all day long). I asked for the Bond singles, and he said they "hadn't had the time to take them out of the boxes and set them up yet". I mean really, 3:00pm on launch day, the store isn't very busy, and you haven't got a display case set up, or even got the singles out of the packing boxes yet! Note that this guy also mentioned that they should have "at least a couple of copies" of each one... wow, talk about overstocking.
Anyway fortunately he asked which ones I wanted, and he went and opened the boxes and got them out for me. So I've finally got the three I need to complete my Bond set (the two Connerys and the Lazenby). A bit mix-and-match in appearance, especially as the new BDs come in square-edged cases for some reason. But it's good enough for me, and I'm happy I wasn't forced to shell out for a boxed set which had many movies I already own or really don't want.
F31ne.jpg

DChapple

Auditioning
Real Name
David Chapple
Went to both Best Buy locations out here around noon. They didn't have them out on the floor either. I had to show them the flyers that indicated the three exclusives. In the first store they went in the back and came out with three BDs. One of the exclusives and two non-exclusives, but all three had the "10.00" sticker on them. I pointed out that only one of them had a BB exclusive sticker and that the other two exclusives were shown in the flyer. He went back and came out with the other two exclusives.
He then explained that they usually have a company that puts these things on the floor but they didn't today.
This experience was virtually mirrored at the next BB store.
LOL

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Took no chances and ordered SPY WHO LOVED ME and OHMSS for in-store pickup. They only charged something like $1.55 tax total for both films so I got both for less than $22 - not a bad deal. I'll be glad when I have secured all of the Bond exclusives I need and can get on with my life. This hunt for elusive exclusives is very frustrating.
So Best Buy's own employees don't stock DVD/Blu-ray titles themselves? How strange. The chain should consider hiring an efficiency expert firm instead of "stockers".

Vortex3D

Auditioning
Real Name
Vortex3D
cineMANIAC said:
Took no chances and ordered SPY WHO LOVED ME and OHMSS for in-store pickup. They only charged something like $1.55 tax total for both films so I got both for less than $22 - not a bad deal. I'll be glad when I have secured all of the Bond exclusives I need and can get on with my life. This hunt for elusive exclusives is very frustrating.
So Best Buy's own employees don't stock DVD/Blu-ray titles themselves? How strange. The chain should consider hiring an efficiency expert firm instead of "stockers".
Best Buy has the "3rd party" employees stock their movie shelves. I think they are more like movie distributors. They usually dress in white shirt. I have spoken to a few. What's interesting is I found is they put on the white tag sticker on the movies. Then, Best Buy may put another yellow price sticker at the top even sometimes both are same price tag. As for movies that have expired Digital Copy, those get sent back to the "movie studio" according to them. And, yes they also restock the movies on the shelves. As for recent Blu-ray and DVD movies rearranged together, that's done by Best Buy.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Vortex3D said:
Best Buy has the "3rd party" employees stock their movie shelves. I think they are more like movie distributors. They usually dress in white shirt. I have spoken to a few. What's interesting is I found is they put on the white tag sticker on the movies. Then, Best Buy may put another yellow price sticker at the top even sometimes both are same price tag. As for movies that have expired Digital Copy, those get sent back to the "movie studio" according to them. And, yes they also restock the movies on the shelves. As for recent Blu-ray and DVD movies rearranged together, that's done by Best Buy.
Must be the same employees that stock the movies Dark Crystal and Labyrinth in the horror section :rolleyes:

Vortex3D

Auditioning
Real Name
Vortex3D
Persianimmortal said:
Oddly enough, this has mirrored my experience today, on the other side of the planet here in Australia. It's almost as though they don't want us to buy these movies.
The official release date for our James Bond singles was today. I went to two separate JB Hifi stores (big chain stores similar to Best Buy) here, expecting a Bond display, or even loose copies in the alphabetical shelves, to be found relatively easily. No dice. Couldn't find anything to remote indicate these blu-rays had even been released, much less a sign of actual copies. And this was from around lunchtime to 3:00pm, so I was hardly in at the crack of dawn.
In the second store, I finally managed to find a sales assistant who didn't look like he was too busy to actually help a customer (instead of whatever it is they pretend to do all day long). I asked for the Bond singles, and he said they "hadn't had the time to take them out of the boxes and set them up yet". I mean really, 3:00pm on launch day, the store isn't very busy, and you haven't got a display case set up, or even got the singles out of the packing boxes yet! Note that this guy also mentioned that they should have "at least a couple of copies" of each one... wow, talk about overstocking.
Anyway fortunately he asked which ones I wanted, and he went and opened the boxes and got them out for me. So I've finally got the three I need to complete my Bond set (the two Connerys and the Lazenby). A bit mix-and-match in appearance, especially as the new BDs come in square-edged cases for some reason. But it's good enough for me, and I'm happy I wasn't forced to shell out for a boxed set which had many movies I already own or really don't want.
F31ne.jpg
It's still odd for us in US to see some of the Bond movies got rated R in Australia. I wonder if all the Bond movies are rated PG/PG-13 in UK.
One thing I notice that changed from the previous release (3 years ago) and now is the quality of the box art insert and the Blu-ray case themselves. The recent version has thinner box art paper and the Blu-ray case is full of "recycle" holes. Packaging style became less fancy on the first release 3 years ago on the 3-disc boxed packaging. First 2 volumes had fancier center ring cutout to show Bond logo but by the 3rd volume, the volume is just flat and simply printed the Bond logo on the surface. For some of us who started collecting Bond on Blu-ray early on, we have 3 different packaging style, the 3-disc boxed, individual release with box art showing Bond with Bond girl, and latest box art showing solo Bond with exception of two, ie. Goldeneye and QoS. The disc art label style also changed from the 2009 and 2012.

ian spector

Auditioning
Damn, the gunbarrel sequence in SkyFall is at the end of the movie.
again. That's 3 in a row.
http://www.heyuguys.co.uk/2012/10/24/the-heyuguys-interview-skyfall-michael-g-wilson-barbara-broccolli/
:(:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks