What's new

James Bond in 4K UHD (2 Viewers)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
The two have nothing to do with each other.

can you comment further?

also what is the specific hold up with these scores being reissued?

beyond the missing audio masters which they haven’t bothered to look for.

thanks.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
also what is the specific hold up with these scores being reissued?

From an interview with French music producer Stephane Lerouge :

"Several American labels moreover tried to find the MOONRAKER score tapes, which was recorded in Paris.

Here is another major disappointment. It is something annoying because a few years ago, the tapes of this movie could have been saved.

I attended 1992 recordings in Studio Davout, where MOONRAKER had been recorded in 1979. It is necessary to know that John Barry, at the time, had spent two or three months in Paris to write the music of the movie, which was shot in France because the film was coproduced by Eon and Les Productions Artistes Associés.

In fact, tapes of complete multitracks had stayed in Davout. And a little more than fifteen years ago, Davout sent a series of letters to producers and music publishers : 'You worked here previously. We have here a room filled with tapes, some possibly belonging to you. If you do not come to look for them within three months, the unclaimed tapes will be destroyed.'

Certain composers, such as Vladimir Cosma or Claude Bolling, rushed to Davout to save their material. This where the complete tapes of MOONRAKER disappeared: nobody at MGM went to collect them.

But did the people in charge there receive the letter from Davout? I doubt it. Because, meanwhile, United Artists had closed its office in Paris and its catalogue had been transferred to MGM… Here is how MOONRAKER remains one of the last Holy Grails of John Barry's scores, but a lost one, sadly."

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
How many times have we had this conversation regarding the Moonraker soundtrack tapes? I've really lost count at this point.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I am so ready to see this movie as soon as it is safe to do so! I would prefer to see it on the big screen even though I have a nice a/v system at home!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
From an interview with French music producer Stephane Lerouge :

"Several American labels moreover tried to find the MOONRAKER score tapes, which was recorded in Paris.

Here is another major disappointment. It is something annoying because a few years ago, the tapes of this movie could have been saved.

I attended 1992 recordings in Studio Davout, where MOONRAKER had been recorded in 1979. It is necessary to know that John Barry, at the time, had spent two or three months in Paris to write the music of the movie, which was shot in France because the film was coproduced by Eon and Les Productions Artistes Associés.

In fact, tapes of complete multitracks had stayed in Davout. And a little more than fifteen years ago, Davout sent a series of letters to producers and music publishers : 'You worked here previously. We have here a room filled with tapes, some possibly belonging to you. If you do not come to look for them within three months, the unclaimed tapes will be destroyed.'

Certain composers, such as Vladimir Cosma or Claude Bolling, rushed to Davout to save their material. This where the complete tapes of MOONRAKER disappeared: nobody at MGM went to collect them.

But did the people in charge there receive the letter from Davout? I doubt it. Because, meanwhile, United Artists had closed its office in Paris and its catalogue had been transferred to MGM… Here is how MOONRAKER remains one of the last Holy Grails of John Barry's scores, but a lost one, sadly."

thanks
When a decision is made to release it I’m sure the tapes will miraculously be found by eon.

anyway. Pipe dreams at this point it seems.

at least the golden gun score tapes are complete and safe despite the fact we don’t have a release of that one.

Star Trek and Star Wars do a much better job getting their full scores out. Same with mission impossible.

Maybe someday the independent labels and mgm will wake up from their slumber to release these. At the very least an explanation that is factual and true would be nice. Tapes shouldn’t be considered missing when they haven’t been seriously looked for.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick

Tapes shouldn’t be considered missing when they haven’t been seriously looked for.

Osato, everything I've heard about these over the years, including from Lukas Kendall who produced the expanded Bond soundtracks, has been that the tapes were destroyed.

When somebody says "lost," it doesn't necessarily mean that it just hasn't been found yet. It can also mean that they are gone for good, and I fear that is the case with Moonraker...

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I looked through most of the 007 4k iTunes versions last night. All had only 1 option for English audio.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Osato, everything I've heard about these over the years, including from Lukas Kendall who produced the expanded Bond soundtracks, has been that the tapes were destroyed.

When somebody says "lost," it doesn't necessarily mean that it just hasn't been found yet. It can also mean that they are gone for good, and I fear that is the case with Moonraker...

perhaps. I can believe the early 007 score tapes were lost but by 1979 that seems difficult to believe.

octopussy and a view to a kill are also “missing” of course. As is the spy who loved me and licence to kill.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
A quick Google news search will give you many sources showing the man is right..
I wasn’t doubting him. Just asking for a source. My search only showed old data. I don’t use google.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I wasn’t doubting him. Just asking for a source. My search only showed old data. I don’t use google.

Damn that dementia! ;)

95784A5D-549C-47F0-8700-685AD3BDAD09.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks