What's new

James Bond in 4K UHD (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Over the years most of my VHS collection got lost to time - I’ve moved too many times myself, and my parents no longer live in the houses they had when I was a kid, so I’ve had to get rid of most of them over the years. There were a handful I regretted parting with and those are the ones I’ve been trying to replace recently. I had all the Bond VHS tapes back in the day but I don’t think I’d try to get them all now - the pan and scan kinda kills it for me if it’s not a unique edit of the film. But I have been thinking of picking up the non-anamorphic Bond titles (the first three Connerys and the first two Moores) since those would be open matte rather than brutally cropped on VHS.

I’ve also had success making digital backups of some of my tapes, and then watching those digital files through my Plex server on my iPad - they actually look pretty good at that size and it’s a lot closer to the size screen I was using back in the day, so it paradoxically feels more authentic watching the digital backup on a tiny screen vs the actual tape on a larger flatscreen TV.

On one hand I know it’s silly and unnecessary but that could describe most hobbies.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
EDIT: Or maybe not. Amazon has a problem lately with flagging titles as "UHD" when they're not. This doesn't open with the new MGM logo, so I suspect it's only HD. Sorry for the false alarm.
You'd think they'd get that right considering Amazon DID use to have the films in 4k (albeit without HDR).

Oh and yeah the small little part about Amazon owning the series outright now.

sultan of cinema

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
Were any of you lucky enough to obtain the CBS FOX VHS edition of The Man With Golden Gun with NO MUSIC during the car chase. When I watched it with a friend of mine we ran it back several times. Very interesting!

anytimepally

Agent
Real Name
Jim
You'd think they'd get that right considering Amazon DID use to have the films in 4k (albeit without HDR).

Oh and yeah the small little part about Amazon owning the series outright now.

Amazon does not own the series outright, it owns 50%. Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson own the other 50%.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I don't own any James Bond discs, but I would like some of the Connery and especially Moore (as I grew up with him as 'bond).

However, I might still hold out in the hope these reach UHD BD one day. What are the odds of this eventually happening?

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I don't own any James Bond discs, but I would like some of the Connery and especially Moore (as I grew up with him as 'bond).

However, I might still hold out in the hope these reach UHD BD one day. What are the odds of this eventually happening?
It’s a huge anniversary year so I would think they are coming this year.
But there hasn’t been any news at all on the discs.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

I think honestly at this exact moment it’s hard to say, because no one can definitively state what Amazon’s intentions are with either physical media they release themselves nor the future of licensing titles to other distributors. I would lean on slightly more possible than not possible because Amazon has licensed their theatrical releases for physical media previously. But I don’t think there’s any urgency to get it done so who knows when it could happen.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
It’s a huge anniversary year so I would think they are coming this year.
But there hasn’t been any news at all on the discs.
The James Bond films were first released on Bluray in 2008 & 2009 ! It's the 60th Anniversary of Dr. No. If we don't get an Upgrade to 4K UHD Disc for the 1962 to 2002 titles this year then I will be Very Surprised. :oops: All 5 of Daniel Craig's movies were released on 4K UHD Disc. :D Thank God.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
The obvious time to get the discs out there would have been to tie-in with the release of No Time to Die, but as that didn't happen, and nothing's been announced with regards to the 60th anniversary, I doubt we'll see anything this year.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
The obvious time to get the discs out there would have been to tie-in with the release of No Time to Die, but as that didn't happen, and nothing's been announced with regards to the 60th anniversary, I doubt we'll see anything this year.
Star Trek tmp de, 5 and 6 were just announced for September. There’s still time for a release in 2022.

I know there is also an Apple 007 music documentary coming in October for James Bond Day too.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Strange that 4k discs haven’t been released for the other 007 films.

No retailer leaks or rumors either.

I saw this yesterday though…

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Don't hold your breath... precisely because Amazon (on top of MGM)...

Honestly, seems highly doubtful that 4K disc releases would be any better PQ-wise than the 4K digitals you already can get (often fairly cheaply)... I'm not even all that quick to jump on the 4K digitals (and haven't so far) as I really don't expect much, if any, real improvements over the vast majority of the BDs (other than the very few clearly problematic cases on BD... plus the last 3 Craig Bonds for which I did get 4K discs)...

_Man_

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Hello James Bond Fans ! Well we all know that 2022 is the 60th Anniversary of James Bond. Dr. No was the first film in 1962. The last five films with Daniel Craig have been released on 4K UHD Disc. It's September 2022 and still No News about the 1962 to 2002 Bonds getting a 4K UHD Disc release. ??? :confused: Anyone hear anything ?? :(
J BOND 4K.jpg

Last edited:

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I don’t think it’s going to happen this year. They would have released it to tie into the release of the new film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks