What's new

UHD James Bond films in Ultra HD blu Ray? (2 Viewers)

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I remember Brosnan saying once that he wished they pushed a little edgier with the sex scenes, lol! It WAS very nice that he did this though. He made it fun and had some bits I haven’t heard before. Though he clearly hasn’t played a James Bond video game before as “shooting myself in the foot” wouldn’t be possible. Though he was seen briefly playing GoldenEye 64 on Jimmy Fallon a while back, where he made the same foot comment.

Chewbabka

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe
I watched GoldenEye this afternoon on Prime. Definitely UHD but no HDR.

How does it look? The DVD is awful, and I've read the Blu-Ray isn't much better. Does it finally look filmic for home video? I don't have a UHD setup, but if I play GoldenEye on my AppleTV will the HD be based on the new transfer?

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
How does it look? The DVD is awful, and I've read the Blu-Ray isn't much better. Does it finally look filmic for home video? I don't have a UHD setup, but if I play GoldenEye on my AppleTV will the HD be based on the new transfer?
Goldeneye on iTunes looks very good, much better than the blu-ray - clearly a new transfer/master. It's probably the biggest upgrade of all the Bond films. Both the 4K and HD versions use the same master.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I still noticed an occasional shot or two that looked a bit digital rather than like film, but it is far superior to any home video disc release up to this time.

brioni

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
Goldeneye on iTunes looks very good, much better than the blu-ray - clearly a new transfer/master. It's probably the biggest upgrade of all the Bond films. Both the 4K and HD versions use the same master.

Bizarrely it's now got a new error... the fade is missing as they kiss after the train explodes.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Osato, thanks for posting that live stream with Pierce Brosnan. That was interesting to see and hear and I had no idea it was happening. I was preparing some work files and then cooking dinner while I had it on the Apple TV. It looked like it could have been pre recorded. I know the movie well enough I could understand what scenes he was referring too. Was the idea for fans to watch the movie while he talked? It’s pretty cool and great I was able to watch it on YouTube and pause when I needed to.

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
I'm not sure how much better it can be. I remember it looking pretty ugly when it was released. From what I remember, it was shot at least partly on old film stock to save money that gave it a grainy look with sub-standard contrast.

I still noticed an occasional shot or two that looked a bit digital rather than like film, but it is far superior to any home video disc release up to this time.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
This is interesting as I’ve been watching each Bond film one a week just a few weeks before the lock down. I’m watching in chronological order. I am still amazed how good Dr. No, From Russia, Goldfinger looks on the 50th Anniversary set blu rays. I’ve gone through Thunderball, You Only Live Twice, On Her Majesty’s Secret Service, Diamonds Are Forever and last weekend, Live and Let Die. They all look great, but the earlier 4 films I thought really looked amazing every time I watch them. I don’t have a 4K display yet, so I’ll be curious how much better these films look in 4K.

I really would prefer to soon see these on a 4K blu ray as I would think these 4K streams can’t be as good as they could be on disc as I imagine the 4K stream will be compromised a bit to allow for bandwidth. You guys are finding them looking really good though on the streams.

By the way, thanks Osato for that Bond film ranking sight. That was interesting, as it’s a quiz to help determine which films one prefers. Like a vision test. Is this lens better, or this one? Not sure I 100% agree with the results as I might have stacked it based on what I’ve recently seen verse what I’d rather see.

5A5EC742-4760-48C7-A691-A9E9659C11BE.jpeg

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I'm not sure how much better it can be. I remember it looking pretty ugly when it was released. From what I remember, it was shot at least partly on old film stock to save money that gave it a grainy look with sub-standard contrast.

That may be, but nonetheless, the existing GoldenEye Blu-ray is sourced from an ancient master created around 1998. It's very noisy with poor detail, lots of smeariness, and edge enhancement. It has plenty of room for improvement.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
love that your top
Pick is You Only Live Twice!!!

that’s one that I like the music much more than the film I think. Thunderball is probably my favorite Connery but diamonds is my most watched.
Clearly, I like the big sci-fi Lewis Gilbert ones.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I'm not sure that I entirely agree with all the ordering, but it's not too far off.

result.png

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
This is interesting as I’ve been watching each Bond film one a week just a few weeks before the lock down. I’m watching in chronological order. I am still amazed how good Dr. No, From Russia, Goldfinger looks on the 50th Anniversary set blu rays. I’ve gone through Thunderball, You Only Live Twice, On Her Majesty’s Secret Service, Diamonds Are Forever and last weekend, Live and Let Die. They all look great, but the earlier 4 films I thought really looked amazing every time I watch them. I don’t have a 4K display yet, so I’ll be curious how much better these films look in 4K.

I really would prefer to soon see these on a 4K blu ray as I would think these 4K streams can’t be as good as they could be on disc as I imagine the 4K stream will be compromised a bit to allow for bandwidth. You guys are finding them looking really good though on the streams.

By the way, thanks Osato for that Bond film ranking sight. That was interesting, as it’s a quiz to help determine which films one prefers. Like a vision test. Is this lens better, or this one? Not sure I 100% agree with the results as I might have stacked it based on what I’ve recently seen verse what I’d rather see.

View attachment 71450

good list.
Man with the golden gun ends up in the middle a lot from what I’ve noticed.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I’m actually looking forward to The Man With The Golden Gun, it’s the next title in my chronological viewing project. :). I enjoy many aspects of it. Though the stuff with the Sheriff isn’t as amusing to me as when I was a kid.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I’m actually looking forward to The Man With The Golden Gun, it’s the next title in my chronological viewing project. :). I enjoy many aspects of it. Though the stuff with the Sheriff isn’t as amusing to me as when I was a kid.

agreed. He clearly has no place in the film but it was 1974. I love that he’s in the car during the chase. My boys couldn’t believe it when they saw the barrel roll jump.

great score. Roger is solid in the film. I thought he was better And better as Bond in each of his first few films.

Chewbabka

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe
I loved Golden Gun when I was a kid, but it hasn't aged well for me. Last time I watched it 2 or 3 years ago, I could barely finish it. The only Roger Moore films I really like anymore are For Your Eyes Only (great), The Spy Who Loved Me (solid) and Octopussy (meh).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks