What's new

UHD James Bond films in Ultra HD blu Ray? (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Osato, thanks for that BBC video post. That was a cool look at the whole phenomenon and how it evolved from that point of view.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
LMAO their stupid ass system would not allow .jpgs. I had to convert it to a PDF and submittal worked fine.

So now I will get codes for 2 Bond movies and all my other ones will be on Blu only cause the Bond 50 was disk only no code. Derp.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
LMAO their stupid ass system would not allow .jpgs. I had to convert it to a PDF and submittal worked fine.

So now I will get codes for 2 Bond movies and all my other ones will be on Blu only cause the Bond 50 was disk only no code. Derp.

Glad it worked. I ended up selling my bond 50
Set around the time of Spectre. I then picked up the ultimate set on blu ray at Costco. This is the set that offered the digital codes and the discs. I gave up the cooler packaging though.

Listened to the diamonds are forever commentary the other night. I guess Tiffany is on the boat in Amsterdam but the scene was cut out of the overall scene.

I never knew this.

Also there is a shot of windy and kids driving out from under the whyte house that was filmed at Hoover dam!!

Again. Never knew this.

Great commentary!!

brioni

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
That airbrushed blu ray cover on page 2 is shocking. how is that actually good?! the Licence To Kill one also springs to mind as another fake looking one, void of detail

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
That airbrushed blu ray cover on page 2 is shocking. how is that actually good?! the Licence To Kill one also springs to mind as another fake looking one, void of detail

Yeah the covers are all consistent for the individual releases. Not very interesting I agree.

It will be interesting to see what they create for the UHd releases in 2019.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I'm old enough to remember Bond's first VHS release. The show boxes then were a gate fold slip cover with original poster art on the front, and a really fascinating mini-essay on the inside flaps, plus some interesting scenes from the movie along the back of the box. I also remember Bond's first DVD release in which someone at MGM/UA then really took the time to create some gorgeous menus, specifically tailored to the content of each movie. The discs would boot up with a Brit-accented woman's voice saying "Welcome to Thunderball Special Edition DVD. Activate your navigation system now."

By pressing the center 'menu' key, the on screen 'device' would 'activate' or kick into high gear with an exhilarating cacophony of images and sounds from the movie in question and then the other menu options would appear. Each time you clicked on an option, you would be treated to a sound bite from the actual film. For example, on Octopussy's DVD, Louis Jourdan's voice said, "Enjoy yourselves!" when you hit the 'play feature' button.

While the quality of those standard DVD transfers left much to be desired, I sincerely wish I had saved those DVD's just for these menus. They were striking, inventive and designed with great purpose. The homogenized ones later to follow, with the boring 'gun barrel' and an actor, with his face darkened, shooting into the screen just seemed boring by comparison and in no way a testament to the films as individual entertainments. I also wish MGM would do new Blu-rays and 4K releases with the old VHS show box-styled artwork and DVD menus as described, of course upgraded in hi-def. Those were a lot of fun and functional as well. Good stuff, well thought out and extremely entertaining in their own right.

I bought the 50th anniversary gold box set Blu-ray. The cover art on that was pretty good, featuring all the actors who have played Bond, although, curiously enough, not in the right order: Roger Moore, followed by Sean Connery, Daniel Craig, Pierce Brosnon, George Lazenby and finally, Timothy Dalton. You would have thought chronology would stand for something!

The 'insert' style for the discs in the 50th release (no hub) wasn't appealing and made it hard to remove the discs without damaging the corners of the hard cardboard holding them in place. Also, the interior 'art' was basically a bunch of excised frames and stills from multiple movies but with no write-up on the franchise as a whole or each of the movies individually. Disappointing. But a miracle of loveliness compared to the black 'gun barrel' cover art that presently envelopes a slimmed down square box re-issue of these movies on Blu-ray. Honestly, the studio has taken a diamond franchise and made it look like a non-descript $5.99 bargain basement bootleg. The individually packaged Blu-ray cover art is pathetic. Even I can do better air-brushing than this! Badly done!

brioni

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
Yeah the covers are all consistent for the individual releases. Not very interesting I agree.

It will be interesting to see what they create for the UHd releases in 2019.

I'm not normally that bothered by the packaging as usually it seems an afterthought and disappoints anyway.

The Moonraker one is kinda odd, not exactly the coolest image from the film, I guess intriguing though. I really like the Octopussy one, it could be a cover for an original Fleming novel. This is probably by accident but perhaps if they would have stuck with that concept of scenes given a book cover style image throughout, it would have been fresh and interesting.

this site is great, if you haven't come across it:
http://007homevideo.com/bd_03_white.html

Seems Japan got the natural looking ones!

I think to look back at the last set I liked, it would have to the "baby hands" vhs covers from the 90's :lol:
http://007homevideo.com/vhs_uk_hands_a.html

brioni

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
While the quality of those standard DVD transfers left much to be desired, I sincerely wish I had saved those DVD's just for these menus. They were striking, inventive and designed with great purpose. The homogenized ones later to follow, with the boring 'gun barrel' and an actor, with his face darkened, shooting into the screen just seemed boring by comparison and in no way a testament to the films as individual entertainments. I also wish MGM would do new Blu-rays and 4K releases with the old VHS show box-styled artwork and DVD menus as described, of course upgraded in hi-def. Those were a lot of fun and functional as well. Good stuff, well thought out and extremely entertaining in their own right.

Those menus were amazing, especially in the infancy of DVD. That Diamonds one when the laser flashes at the screen - I sat and watched for ages :lol: I sold my original R1 3 wave DVD's as well - with all the faults of missing location captions etc when the "savour" of the UE's turned up. Couldn't justify having both sets, yeah did regret that so went and brought the not quite as good R2 SE's (UK fan here). When your used to watching the films at the correct framerate, you really pick up on the pitch difference - its horrible. They did come in a nice metal tin, however some of the menu's were not the same as used in the R1's and of poor quality.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
this site is great, if you haven't come across it:
http://007homevideo.com/bd_03_white.html

That is awesome. Thank you for sharing that. I love the old CED covers - those were the first Bond home video releases I had (still have). The Bond 50 blu-rays are the 5th or 6th time I bought the series. (CED, VHS, VHS with Pink Panther cartoons, DVD, Blu-ray three-pack sets, Blu-ray Bond 50 set).

I'd gladly exchange my Bond 50 set for a new set with individual slim cases (like the old DVD releases) with original poster art for covers. That would be cool.

Yes! I would totally support a UHD set like that. It's been 35 years since the poster art was used for a home video release. It's overdue.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson

That is awesome. Thank you for sharing that. I love the old CED covers - those were the first Bond home video releases I had (still have). The Bond 50 blu-rays are the 5th or 6th time I bought the series. (CED, VHS, VHS with Pink Panther cartoons, DVD, Blu-ray three-pack sets, Blu-ray Bond 50 set).

Yes! I would totally support a UHD set like that. It's been 35 years since the poster art was used for a home video release. It's overdue.
Actually more like 23. They used the OG poster art (or at least parts of it) on the lasers of Goldfinger and Thunderball.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I'm old enough to remember Bond's first VHS release. The show boxes then were a gate fold slip cover with original poster art on the front, and a really fascinating mini-essay on the inside flaps, plus some interesting scenes from the movie along the back of the box. I also remember Bond's first DVD release in which someone at MGM/UA then really took the time to create some gorgeous menus, specifically tailored to the content of each movie. The discs would boot up with a Brit-accented woman's voice saying "Welcome to Thunderball Special Edition DVD. Activate your navigation system now."

By pressing the center 'menu' key, the on screen 'device' would 'activate' or kick into high gear with an exhilarating cacophony of images and sounds from the movie in question and then the other menu options would appear. Each time you clicked on an option, you would be treated to a sound bite from the actual film. For example, on Octopussy's DVD, Louis Jourdan's voice said, "Enjoy yourselves!" when you hit the 'play feature' button.

I bought the 50th anniversary gold box set Blu-ray. The cover art on that was pretty good, featuring all the actors who have played Bond, although, curiously enough, not in the right order: Roger Moore, followed by Sean Connery, Daniel Craig, Pierce Brosnon, George Lazenby and finally, Timothy Dalton. You would have thought chronology would stand for something!

The 'insert' style for the discs in the 50th release (no hub) wasn't appealing and made it hard to remove the discs without damaging the corners of the hard cardboard holding them in place. Also, the interior 'art' was basically a bunch of excised frames and stills from multiple movies but with no write-up on the franchise as a whole or each of the movies individually. Disappointing. But a miracle of loveliness compared to the black 'gun barrel' cover art that presently envelopes a slimmed down square box re-issue of these movies on Blu-ray. Honestly, the studio has taken a diamond franchise and made it look like a non-descript $5.99 bargain basement bootleg. The individually packaged Blu-ray cover art is pathetic. Even I can do better air-brushing than this! Badly done!

The special edition menus are fantastic, I agree!

I think mgm has reissued the 007 films too many times. That is the same disc with different artwork.

Again I think they are attempting to streamline them all covers and discs.
In the process they have made them a bit dull and all the same...

Hopefully they reconsider for UHd.

Sadly all the home theater divisions are gone so the creativity kind of went with them!!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Just a quick aside, I’ve pretty much completed reading Roger Moore’s memoir, My Word is My Bond. Just a few pages left on the last chapter. It was very interesting to read and it’s got me reevaluating his Bond films. Plus as a person, you see a very different persona from Bond of course. His work for UNICEF is the more impressive side of his later work after Bond.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks