What's new

UHD James Bond films in Ultra HD blu Ray? (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I agree 100%. Latest-release superhero franchise films don't make the new format (plus new TV, disc player) remotely tempting. Bond in 4K would make me jump in head first!

Agreed.

There will be more movement with them on disc I believe when bond 18 is released.2018 seems logical based on Daniel's commitments. The bond films are turned around in about a year. So distributor news and script news should happen in 2017. 2016 is a lost year for bond as there was no 25 news. Any motion on 25 will not happen until MGM can make a new film distribution agreement. The previous one with Sony expired with spectre.

For uhd, I believe many of the later Roger Moore films on were newly mastered at 4K for uhd. The Connery films, ohmss, live and let die and Moonraker are 4K scans.
This is based on recent theatrical screenings of the films when spectre was in theaters.

It was curious that 5 films are missing from the Hulu list. I wonder if further mastering or color timing is happening for any of the films?

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Agreed.

There will be more movement with them on disc I believe when bond 18 is released.2018 seems logical based on Daniel's commitments. The bond films are turned around in about a year. So distributor news and script news should happen in 2017. 2016 is a lost year for bond as there was no 25 news. Any motion on 25 will not happen until MGM can make a new film distribution agreement. The previous one with Sony expired with spectre.

For uhd, I believe many of the later Roger Moore films on were newly mastered at 4K for uhd. The Connery films, ohmss, live and let die and Moonraker are 4K scans.
This is based on recent theatrical screenings of the films when spectre was in theaters.

It was curious that 5 films are missing from the Hulu list. I wonder if further mastering or color timing is happening for any of the films?

Amazon prime has dropped all of the films from prime except spectre.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
A couple of tv spots from the spy / Moonraker double bill....

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Any Hulu 4k users that have watched the bond films In 4k??
Thoughts, comments or video / audio comparison reviews?
Just curious.

Thanks!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don't have a UHD setup yet nor access to Hulu, but I'd be very interested to know if a) there's a UHD version of OHMSS and b) if the color timing in the opening sequence has been fixed.

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
Agreed!
What a fantastic soundtrack on that film! I never get tired of that score by Barry!
The first reboot. First use by Barry (in a Bond film) of synths. First Bond film to end on a downbeat....

The remastered soundtrack CD is great. Some unused takes, including the attack on Piz Gloria that was replaced with the Monty Norman theme. Recommended. ;)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
The first reboot. First use by Barry (in a Bond film) of synths. First Bond film to end on a downbeat....

The remastered soundtrack CD is great. Some unused takes, including the attack on Piz Gloria that was replaced with the Monty Norman theme. Recommended. ;)

Agreed.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Have it, love it! Gave serious consideration to using the main title theme as my walking-down-the-aisle music (it turns out guys get music now)..ended up with something else, I'm just not that cool :)

Even though I haven't been overwhelmed with UHD enthusiasm, a properly remastered 4K set of Bond movies that fixed every problem with the Blu-rays would accelerate my interest in the format.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Any Hulu 4k users that have watched the bond films In 4k??
Thoughts, comments or video / audio comparison reviews?
Just curious.

Thanks!

Just bumping this post again.
I would like to hear / read about a comparison of the 4k versions on Hulu.

JoeBond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph Myers
Just bumping this post again.
I would like to hear / read about a comparison of the 4k versions on Hulu.
I have Hulu but don't have a UHD set up. This may have been mentioned but Goldeneye looks a lot better than the Blu-ray. Looks more detailed and film like. Checked the main titles and they are outside the TV safe zone. The UE DVD had the issue of the titles not going to the edge of the frame like they should. Going by this I would say it's not the cropped version either. I haven't viewed any other films though.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I have Hulu but don't have a UHD set up. This may have been mentioned but Goldeneye looks a lot better than the Blu-ray. Looks more detailed and film like. Checked the main titles and they are outside the TV safe zone. The UE DVD had the issue of the titles not going to the edge of the frame like they should. Going by this I would say it's not the cropped version either. I haven't viewed any other films though.

Great news! Thanks for the review.
If you end up seeing any of the others it would be great to hear about them as well.

With bond 25 in limbo the timeframe for bond on uhd disc is most likely up in the air as well.
Bond releases brought me into DVD and blu ray. I waited for the films in the format.
I'm glad the Dolby vision has been finalized and the first uhd title is coming this summer too.

Uhd will require hardware upgrades for me.

JoeBond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph Myers
Great news! Thanks for the review.
If you end up seeing any of the others it would be great to hear about them as well.

With bond 25 in limbo the timeframe for bond on uhd disc is most likely up in the air as well.
Bond releases brought me into DVD and blu ray. I waited for the films in the format.
I'm glad the Dolby vision has been finalized and the first uhd title is coming this summer too.

Uhd will require hardware upgrades for me.
Looks like they pulled all the Bond titles off Hulu except for Spectre.

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
We don't get Hulu in the UK, but I would love to have seen the 4K Bonds. As I said on this thread last year, I think the Bonds on UHD are the ONLY titles that would get me to upgrade to 4K...

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Interesting news, I don't have any UHD gear yet either. And I don't indulge in services like Hulu. If the Bond series does go to UHD releases for home video, I'd be interested in upgrading.

I watched the Thunderball blu ray last night, after not having seen it for a while. I thought it looked great. Though I kept seeing those thin vertical lines that were pointed out after the films were remastered. So I'd wonder if those defects are still going to be there. Interesting experience as for the first time seeing this film gave me more of a feeling that it's really crossed the line into a vintage film. I suppose for many that happened long ago. It's probably feeling old to many younger viewers. But to me, what surprised me in seeing it is that it still feels modern, but vintage at the same time. Same goes for Goldfinger.

I guess how I can define the feeling is that I've been studying vintage wrist watches of this era. When I see them for sale, I see how old they look from how the lume on the markers have turned a creme color giving it a patina the watch collectors look for. And how the stainless steel has marks from years of use. Or how the crystal has fine scratches.

The Breitling Navitimer worn by Derval and the Rolex Submariner Bond wears still look more or less the same today in their modern versions.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
We don't get Hulu in the UK, but I would love to have seen the 4K Bonds. As I said on this thread last year, I think the Bonds on UHD are the ONLY titles that would get me to upgrade to 4K...
Agreed!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks