What's new

UHD James Bond films in Ultra HD blu Ray? (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I'm guessing that Spectre will not come to the format this year?
Was wondering if I should hold off my purchase if it is coming and is bundled with uhd bd / blu Ray combo.

Bond 25 still makes the most logical sense.
The first wave of bond blu Rays came right before quantum of solace was released in theaters. 2008.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I am holding off my purchase of Spectre till it comes out on UHD! My pay really sucks and I can no longer afford to be double dipping and buying movies over and over. So right now most of my movie purchases are on hold as I try to save up for a UHD player and buy a .45 cal semi auto pistol! My main goal for my home theater is to purchase a 4K UHD projector and a 120" screen so UHD is my goal and I am not planning any further than that!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Dave Moritz said:
I am holding off my purchase of Spectre till it comes out on UHD! My pay really sucks and I can no longer afford to be double dipping and buying movies over and over. So right now most of my movie purchases are on hold as I try to save up for a UHD player and buy a .45 cal semi auto pistol! My main goal for my home theater is to purchase a 4K UHD projector and a 120" screen so UHD is my goal and I am not planning any further than that!
I have the exclusive target version on preorder but am having the same thought.
I'm guessing we may not see bond uhd blu Rays until bond 25 in 2018.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
My neighbor will most likely be purchasing Spectre on Blu-ray so that is another reason to not rush out and double dip on this title. I already own the 50th anniversary blu-ray set so with my neighbor buying it and my set I have no reason to buy it on 1080p blu-ray then on UHD blu-ray.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Dave Moritz said:
My neighbor will most likely be purchasing Spectre on Blu-ray so that is another reason to not rush out and double dip on this title. I already own the 50th anniversary blu-ray set so with my neighbor buying it and my set I have no reason to buy it on 1080p blu-ray then on UHD blu-ray.
Makes sense.

I wonder if MGM will have some uhd film titles released in March or April.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Spectre and Skyfall could make a wonderful UHD releases, due to Sony's involvement.

The earlier films, doubtful, as MGM was unable to even create decent HD level data for much of their 50th program.

I don't see them investing in the catalog titles.

RAH

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Robert Harris said:
Spectre and Skyfall could make a wonderful UHD releases, due to Sony's involvement.

The earlier films, doubtful, as MGM was unable to even create decent HD level data for much of their 50th program.

RAH

If you don't feel that many of the Bond series will be released there is no hope for most of my favourites. Wrong thread but do you think North by Northwest will be released on UHD?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
For what it's worth, Skyfall isn't a 4K title. I think they may have issued a 4K DCP, but the camera resolution was limited to 2.8K, so it'll never truly be 4K. Spectre was shot on film but fortunately was finished with a 4K DI.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Robert Harris said:
RAH
If true my interest in the format has been greatly diminished.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Robert Harris said:
RAH
Earlier in this thread some commented of what appeared to be new transfers or prints that were screened theatrically last fall.

I'm a bit puzzled if MGM would not want to do new 4K transfers for bond. If the Lowry 4K transfers were not done properly? I'm a bit confused I guess.
Dr no - live and let die and moonraker were scanned at 4K by Lowry in 2004-2005. All of the other bond films were scanned at 2k. For blu Ray goldeneye, the spy who loved me had new transfers.

What am I missing in terms of the 4K scanned films coming to uhd?
In addition I thought it made sense that new 4K transfers for the other films scanned originally at 2k made sense.
I believed that these new transfers were screened last fall theatrically and would be released eventually on the new uhd bd format with bond 25.

Thoughts? I'm trying to understand your comments on the 4K scanning by Lowry as well.

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
Lowrey did their nine films in 4K, but that was more than ten years ago. I can't imagine Fox using these as the basis for UHD releases, considering how technology changes over time, and how some of these masters weren't that impressive looking to begin with. Fox even tweaked their masters before they were released to blu-ray starting in 2009, fixing some of the glitches that were discovered by the fans on DVD, including framing and colour issues, and Fox decided to redo The Spy Who Loved Me from scratch and without Lowrey which is now ironically one of the best looking of the classic Bonds.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Mikey1969 said:
Lowrey did their nine films in 4K, but that was more than ten years ago. I can't imagine Fox using these as the basis for UHD releases, considering how technology changes over time, and how some of these masters weren't that impressive looking to begin with. Fox even tweaked their masters before they were released to blu-ray starting in 2009, fixing some of the glitches that were discovered by the fans on DVD, including framing and colour issues, and Fox decided to redo The Spy Who Loved Me from scratch and without Lowrey which is now ironically one of the best looking of the classic Bonds.
Was it the actual scans that were not received well or all of the color correction and adjustments made to contrast etc?

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Osato said:
Was it the actual scans that were not received well or all of the color correction and adjustments made to contrast etc?
Both.

I would think that for UHD Blu-ray they would have to revisit at least 50% of the titles at a substantial cost. At the moment MGM is the studio least likely to do this and as they have refused outside funding at least for The Alamo that possible solution is also unlikely.

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
It's unfortunate that Lowery's efforts were so variable in quality. They really seem to depend on the technician who was assigned to the specific film, and there was no one apparently supervising the overall quality of the series. This would explain why several films including Thunderball and You only live twice we're such poor reflections of the original prints. I don't know how many more times the studio will bother to do a full the bottom up restoration of these films, given the collapse of the physical media market. There is also now the complication that all the work done on remastering them 10 years ago is being stored digitally on hard drives. I don't even know if Fox has a way to extract the information from these hard drives and build (and correct where necessary) upon The Lowrey masters, or if they need to start from scratch by pulling the negatives again.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Mikey1969 said:
It's unfortunate that Lowery's efforts were so variable in quality. They really seem to depend on the technician who was assigned to the specific film, and there was no one apparently supervising the overall quality of the series. This would explain why several films including Thunderball and You only live twice we're such poor reflections of the original prints. I don't know how many more times the studio will bother to do a full the bottom up restoration of these films, given the collapse of the physical media market. There is also now the complication that all the work done on remastering them 10 years ago is being stored digitally on hard drives. I don't even know if Fox has a way to extract the information from these hard drives and build (and correct where necessary) upon The Lowrey masters, or if they need to start from scratch by pulling the negatives again.
Got it. There's a documentary about the scanning in the dr no blu Ray extras.
I guess my thought is that all of the films negatives were scanned. From there it would be making changes to the original scans. ?
So my thought would be that at least for the Connery films they have the original scans and the. It's just a matter of redoing the color timing, contrast, etc?

Overall I think MGM and fox will spend the $$ for the bond series as they will want to offer all of the films in 4K. Even if it is just streaming but as often as they reissue I'm sure there would be uhd blu Ray discs too.

There is also the matter that new transfers or prints have been completed and many were screened last fall. If I recall most of the films originally having 2k scans appeared to have new prints. This is relying on comments of viewers who saw the films last fall in theaters.

I think it will be a while, but it could happen this year with uhd bd launch and even the spread use of 4K streaming content.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Mikey1969 said:

A number of the films have already been remastered in 4K since the Lowry versions. It seems that any of the titles that were initially given 2K masters have been redone. All of the Bonds are currently available as 4K DCPs. I haven't seen all of them, but I have seen a few and they're definitely new, superior masters.

Unfortunately, it also seems that the titles that were done in 4K originally have not been remastered.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Worth said:
A number of the films have already been remastered in 4K since the Lowry versions. It seems that any of the titles that were initially given 2K masters have been redone. All of the Bonds are currently available as 4K DCPs. I haven't seen all of them, but I have seen a few and they're definitely new, superior masters.

Unfortunately, it also seems that the titles that were done in 4K originally have not been remastered.
Thanks for posting!

Are you saying uhd 4K copies of the films are available now via download?

I still think any new transfers / releases and uhd will not be out until bond 25. That seems to be the pattern.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Osato said:
Thanks for posting!

Are you saying uhd 4K copies of the films are available now via download?

No. They're available to cinemas.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks