What's new

James Bond: Everything or Nothing Xbox Impressions (1 Viewer)

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Has anybody had the chance to try the James Bond demo on this month's OXM game disc? Looks very well done in terms of graphics and style (very much in keeping with the Bond universe), but I find the controls lacking. The demo gives very little overview of the controls and I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to simply duck. Not a bad skill in a firefight. ;) The shooting seems a bit loose as well, providing little sense of actually aiming at something (nowhere near as tight from a 3rd person perspective as Metal Arms). What are some of your thoughts on this title?

PS. The disc also includes a demo for The Suffering which was overall pretty weak IMO.

James T

Screenwriter
Ever since the Indiana Jones demo, I've stayed away from Xbox magazine demos. The demos may be alright, but the levels are either a beta level or the level is taken out of context which may hurt the playing ability.

The game does look really good, though. I've seen tons of ingame footage, which makes me want to run out and buy at first chance.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I thought it seemed okay but the lack of familiarity with the controls made it tough going. It seems like I'm having that problem more and more often with demos :)

The Suffering was pretty bland, although it did have some funny moments.

I liked Wrath, though. Seems like a good updating of Archon.

DwightK

Second Unit
I never made it past the first 3 or 4 bad guys. Saw the one at the console (about 10 seconds into the demo) went to shoot and realized there was NO AIMING. Started over and tried to see if I missed something. Went for the 3 guys and realized I couldn't shoot down in elevation a couple steps over a railing even though the bad guys could shoot up at me.

Turned it off.

Unacceptable.

James T

Screenwriter
I just reffered to Indy because the game's level was taken out of context. I didn't care about the demo, but I loved the full version of the game.

I prefer a rental as the real demo of a game.

Dean Martin

Stunt Coordinator
I thought it was wicked good. Insane action that we really havn't gotten out of a Bond title or any title lately.
Rapelling down an exploding building was cool but even better firing at rapelling bad guys as you went.
It was also cool that there were multiple ways to eliminate enemies, such as releasing vent steam rather than just inane shooting.
The Motorcycle chase down the highway chasing Jaws was insane. I haven't completed it yet but it is super fast and gives you an incredible element of speed. Hopefully they can polish it up a bit by release time.
On the same disc I was equally, if not more impressed by 'The Suffering' which looks like a really frighteneing survival horror game that plays in 3rd OR first person.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Pull the left trigger to lock aim. It's not great but it's better than spraying bullets like a firehose.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I'm eagerly awaiting this one and the EBgames pre-order bonus CD (containing the title track) is just icing on the cake. EA Games must have seriously overspent making this title, with all the name actors voices and likenesses... it looks and feels just like a movie in the series.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member

Will have to try that. Agreed with Dean re: the motorcycle chase. Pretty wild. Doesn't help at those speeds when people keep changing lanes in front of you! Also realized it's pretty difficult to aim missiles when you swaying back and forth on a bike. ;)

Dean Martin

Stunt Coordinator
I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn until I used the aim lock. I would have preferred not to have to use an auto aim though but it's still ok.
I still haven't figured out how to disable Jaws' tanker but I did get past it and in front and knocked a few rockets into him and brought his energy down but then I could not seem to get any further.

James Lee

Stunt Coordinator
To take out Jaws' tanker, ride up alongside it and let loose with the sidemounted flamethrower. That takes down the health meter pretty quickly.

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
"I just reffered to Indy because the game's level was taken out of context."

I didn't know you could take a demo level "out of context." You can take a quote out of context. By isolating it apart from the sentences surrounding it, you can change the meaning of what someone said. But I don't see how you can do that to a game. Was the level in the demo much more fun if you played the level before and after it? Do you think demos should only contain the first level of a game?

Dean Martin

Stunt Coordinator
Finally got around to beating that tanker, the flames did the trick.
I didn't notice before how you can slide under the gas tanker truck, very cool. 3 more days!

Dan B

Screenwriter
Did you notice that you can even flame the first tanker _while_sliding under it. :)

Gamespot gave the game a pretty good review; I thought the demo level with the rapelling was kind of blah but I have high hopes for the game based on what I've heard and played.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
The demo seems pretty solid. The controls are a little less that what I'd like, but the graphics are much more than I expected.

Plus, there's nice eye candy every time you hit pause. ;)

I'm looking forward to this one. I was expecting some sales on it this week, but no luck.

-Dave

Dean Martin

Stunt Coordinator

I noticed that as I was sliding from underneath I accidentally pressed the fire button and flames emitted from the bike which was cool because I thought it was merely a cut scene.

Jon Teddlie

Stunt Coordinator
Dave, I don't know if you have a Fry's Electronics in your area but they will have the game on all consoles Thursday for $36.00

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Man, that's a great price. I can't remember seeing a new release that cheap since....ever. No Fry's around here though. :frowning:

-Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks