What's new

James Bond 007 soundtracks - Golden Gun, Spy, Moonraker, View To a Kill & Octopussy (2 Viewers)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Interesting and thanks Osato.

I'm not sure I like the idea of reconstructing Moonraker with all new recordings. I'd rather have the real thing. Are the recordings really lost forever in Paris?

Although I do own re-recordings of several Star Trek TOS episode scores from Label X and the Hitchcock Vertigo score by Herrman, they are all really well done and pretty faithful. I'd rather have the real thing. But the re-recordings can be very nice as they might be just better recordings!

Perhaps this, as you said Osato, will show EON the interest in the scores and they can find all the original tapes.

brioni

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
It’s a good idea to reconstruct because at the very least its generating some awareness to the “powers that be”, that they need to get into gear and start looking at expanding more scores.

In this case, its been noticed the acoustics for the original recording were not as good CTS Wembley – Barry’s usual recording studio. This will be in digital 24Bit 96Khz plus there are also possibilities that we might see SACD/blu-ray or other hi res versions, and who knows….this might open the door to expanded re-recordings of Octopussy & AVTAK. They are the most likely successors.

No, the tapes are not lost forever in Paris. That is outdated information which I shed light to previously. Its been implied on social networks that La La Land have been making enquiries to expand the Bond’s but EON are the stumbling block. Jon Burlingame confirmed to me that they need to give the greenlight because they have the rights to the session masters.

What I don’t quite follow is why Tadlow are looking to crowd funding for this project. The Barry/Bond combination would be low risk compared to many of the other more obscure re-recordings they’ve done. Still it would be quite incredible if it sees the light of day and I might pledge £20 as it seems kinda cool to get a credit on the CD and be a part of it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/681802762/moonraker-new-recording/

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Brioni, that's good news the Moonraker tapes are not really lost! And La La Land will be a great asset to EON should they agree to allow them to do the soundtracks. It was cool to read the link posted here a few months ago with the interview with Lukas Kendall and his work on the Bond remastered CDs.

I agree even the kickstart effort will raise awareness of the interest. If they get funded that will shed even more light to the interest!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
brioni said:
It’s a good idea to reconstruct because at the very least its generating some awareness to the “powers that be”, that they need to get into gear and start looking at expanding more scores.

In this case, its been noticed the acoustics for the original recording were not as good CTS Wembley – Barry’s usual recording studio. This will be in digital 24Bit 96Khz plus there are also possibilities that we might see SACD/blu-ray or other hi res versions, and who knows….this might open the door to expanded re-recordings of Octopussy & AVTAK. They are the most likely successors.

No, the tapes are not lost forever in Paris. That is outdated information which I shed light to previously. Its been implied on social networks that La La Land have been making enquiries to expand the Bond’s but EON are the stumbling block. Jon Burlingame confirmed to me that they need to give the greenlight because they have the rights to the session masters.

What I don’t quite follow is why Tadlow are looking to crowd funding for this project. The Barry/Bond combination would be low risk compared to many of the other more obscure re-recordings they’ve done. Still it would be quite incredible if it sees the light of day and I might pledge £20 as it seems kinda cool to get a credit on the CD and be a part of it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/681802762/moonraker-new-recording/
Why is eon unwilling to green light the project?
Great to know la la land could be involved!!

Matthew Grice has been posting some good re recordings on his for your ears only Facebook page: https://m.facebook.com/groups/766513713406944?src=email_notif

In addition he has posted a petition for the soundtracks to be expanded and re issued.

Looking forward to good news soon!!

brioni

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
I've done a £20 pledge. It's worth it to get the CD, you can't beat listening to orchestral music in lossless.

It would seem that La La Land had made some general enquires but it hasn't been successful. EON just won't comment, they seem to shutdown on the subject so the feeling then becomes that they are simply not interested.

That might not be the case, because we know logistically there are quite a few other companies involved. There is a perception that they are not interested in the older films but we know Barbara Broccoli was a big supporter of John Barry, even paying homage to him in Skyfall. I would like to think that she could manoeuvre one of her many assistants into arranging this but perhaps the timing isn't right? Either way its highly frustrating when they are able to accommodate fans with many other categories of merchandise....toys, books, comics, home video....but the soundtracks get the short end

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
brioni said:
I've done a £20 pledge. It's worth it to get the CD, you can't beat listening to orchestral music in lossless.

It would seem that La La Land had made some general enquires but it hasn't been successful. EON just won't comment, they seem to shutdown on the subject so the feeling then becomes that they are simply not interested.
That might not be the case, because we know logistically there are quite a few other companies involved. There is a perception that they are not interested in the older films but we know Barbara Broccoli was a big supporter of John Barry, even paying homage to him in Skyfall. I would like to think that she could manoeuvre one of her many assistants into arranging this but perhaps the timing isn't right? Either way its highly frustrating when they are able to accommodate fans with many other categories of merchandise....toys, books, comics, home video....but the soundtracks get the short end
100% agreed this is so frustrating!!!
I don't understand why eon is so resistant to the idea either. It makes zero sense!!!

I'm hoping something good comes of all of this and that eon will awaken as well.

I'm hopeful that they will be released because of the Star Trek score releases which have been done so well.
La la land would do amazing work on all of the scores as well.

Would there be legal issues that are much different than the trek scores?
If I recall the bond scores had to be left in album track order but track were extended and additional music was added to the end of the original track listings.

I wish there was a way or person that could talk with eon directly about the issue.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
What would eon's (or any studio's reason for that matter) be to not reissue and expand a blockbuster film soundtrack?

If paramount was all in on ALL of the trek scores being reissued why isn't eon as confident with the bond scores?

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Nelson Au said:
Interesting. Maybe EON put a cease and desist order on the Kickstarter project.
Most likely?
Hopefully this means the real McCoy is coming???

brioni

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
Hard to say what's going on as James Fitzpatrick also wrote the following on the Film Score Monthly message board:

The project is still viable it is just that some of the goalposts have been changed...and if the negotiations are successful then I will fund the recording myself. So nobody loses out...just a matter of timing and no funds were actually taken

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
brioni said:
Hard to say what's going on as James Fitzpatrick also wrote the following on the Film Score Monthly message board:The project is still viable it is just that some of the goalposts have been changed...and if the negotiations are successful then I will fund the recording myself. So nobody loses out...just a matter of timing and no funds were actually taken
Bizarre!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Any official confirmation as to the reason the project was cancelled??

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks