What's new

James Bond 007 soundtracks - Golden Gun, Spy, Moonraker, View To a Kill & Octopussy (2 Viewers)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Hey Osato, are those vinyl Bond scores new releases? Are they expanded versions?

BTW, if I didn’t thank you earlier, thanks for the turntable recommendation. I’m still not there yet in decided how to proceed but will hopefully sort that out soon. I want to listen to the vinyl Star Trek TMP score. :) And I just got the Superman The Music bluebox set and have been indulging in that this weekend, that’s a contrast from Bond!

Nelson - these are old vinyl versions. Not expanded.

Someday!!

The 2 newer Star Trek vinyl lps of tmp and khan are amazing!! I have the cds but have never heard them sound this good!!!

brioni

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
Loving the die another day expanded cd. I noticed that it plays very well in the car.

I listened to you only live twice, diamonds, and Octopussy yesterday too. Vinyl versions.

Rest In Peace John Barry.

I've been playing Die Another Day in the car as well. Meant to say sooner - I could listen to those Cuban tracks all day long. Sounds like they had a good time recording it! and I've always liked the original version of wheel chair access - that baseline :cool:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I've been playing Die Another Day in the car as well. Meant to say sooner - I could listen to those Cuban tracks all day long. Sounds like they had a good time recording it! and I've always liked the original version of wheel chair access - that baseline :cool:
Agreed!!!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Gave The Man with the Golden Gun soundtrack a listen yesterday. Still one of my favorites despite not being one of Barry’s best.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
Gave The Man with the Golden Gun soundtrack a listen yesterday. Still one of my favorites despite not being one of Barry’s best.
Even ignoring the brass attack of the title song, I still consider this a lesser listening experience. John Barry is at his best with lush string arrangements, and the album seems to have very little of this. I like most of the score in the film once Bond arrives on Scaramanga's island. It also doesn't appear to be recorded or mixed properly in relation to other Barry Bond scores. Very narrow stereo image, almost mono sounding.
golden-gun-soundtrack.jpg

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Even ignoring the brass attack of the title song, I still consider this a lesser listening experience. John Barry is at his best with lush string arrangements, and the album seems to have very little of this. I like most of the score in the film once Bond arrives on Scaramanga's island. It also doesn't appear to be recorded or mixed properly in relation to other Barry Bond scores. Very narrow stereo image, almost mono sounding.
golden-gun-soundtrack.jpg

They had the tapes for expansion in 2003, but time and money meant we didn’t get it.
Maybe La La Land can make another miracle happen and get it released.

I love all the strings and all the weaving of the theme in the score.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
That's good. at least they exist. I thought they disappeared with the Moonraker sessions. I think Barry redeemed himself on King Kong after the so-so MWTGG.

I think I posted the article in this thread a few pages back.

Moonraker is interesting. It’s considered “lost” which is easier than saying no one has looked for it. Someday. Again maybe a La La Land miracle.

They are aware that people want this soundtrack expanded.

I highly recommend James Bond radios interview with Neil S. Bulk:
http://jamesbondradio.com/die-another-day-expanded-soundtrack-neil-s-bulk-interview-music-bond-012/

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Osato, thanks for the link to James Bond radio, will check that out.

In the mean time, thought I'd post about this CD from Japan. At first it looked interesting , but then looking at the track listings, it is the same as the US MGM EMI Capitol releases from 2003, the date on my CD. the main difference is to doesn't have the bonus tracks. I guess this is a licensed product to Universal Music Japan. Thought maybe there was something interesting here. Perhaps not.

s-l1600.jpg

Credit image from eBay. :)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

In the mean time, thought I'd post about this CD from Japan. At first it looked interesting , but then looking at the track listings, it is the same as the US MGM EMI Capitol releases from 2003, the date on my CD. the main difference is to doesn't have the bonus tracks. I guess this is a licensed product to Universal Music Japan. Thought maybe there was something interesting here. Perhaps not.

View attachment 45214

Crazy!!

Thanks for the post!!

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
A: As mentioned earlier in this thread, UMG owns the Capitol Records catalog (which includes the former United Artists records) as part of their acquisition of most of the now defunct EMI's catalog in 2012. So its not a "license" at all.

B: Japan likes original LP sequencing.

C: Its very possible UMG only owns the rights to original LP program and would have to renegotiate with MGM for the bonus material.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
A: As mentioned earlier in this thread, UMG owns the Capitol Records catalog (which includes the former United Artists records) as part of their acquisition of most of the now defunct EMI's catalog in 2012. So its not a "license" at all.

B: Japan likes original LP sequencing.

C: Its very possible UMG only owns the rights to original LP program and would have to renegotiate with MGM for the bonus material.

Good information!

Thanks for the post. Hopefully umg is easy to work with and future 007 expanded scores will continue after the recent wb/ la la land Die Another Day releas.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin

View attachment 45214

I have this disc. Unless you are a fan of Japanese replica sleeves or SHM discs, there is nothing for you here. The package is a faithful reproduction of the gate fold album on very heavy material. Purely for collectors with disposable income. Track listing is the same as the UA release.
20160629_3a2391.jpg

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Has anyone heard if the next 007 expanded soundtrack is in the works from la la land?
I’m assuming it would be The World Is Not Enough?

Thanksgiving always seems like when the Star Trek film soundtracks were announced.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
Has anyone heard if the next 007 expanded soundtrack is in the works from la la land?
I’m assuming it would be The World Is Not Enough?

Thanksgiving always seems like when the Star Trek film soundtracks were announced.
Don't expect any official news on what's in the works. The labels that release these expanded soundtracks don't like to announce titles early. Delays and problems can occur, even including cancellations. This makes the release anti-climatic. When all the ducks are in a row, we find out. Usually the week of release.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Don't expect any official news on what's in the works. The labels that release these expanded soundtracks don't like to announce titles early. Delays and problems can occur, even including cancellations. This makes the release anti-climatic. When all the ducks are in a row, we find out. Usually the week of release.

Understood. Hopefully November ish. : )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks