Jaggies still appear on progressive-scan GameCube games

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thik Nongyow, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Thik Nongyow

Thik Nongyow Stunt Coordinator

On August the 4th, I received in the mail the component cable for the Nintendo GameCube. I want to use this cable so compatible games would be shown in progressive-scan. I put "Super Smash Bros. Melee," a progressive-compatible game on the GameCube and followed the directions to enable progressive-scan mode, but I disturbed that even though the picture quality is an improvement over S-video, I still see the "jaggies" that are typical of interlaced games. They are more evident in highly detailed stages like "Kongo Jungle," even though I have the deflicker enabled. Even with the disappointment, it seems that characters look much better in progressive-scan mode.

I have an HDTV-ready TV that accepts progressive-scan signals, but what could be causing the jaggies to appear, even with the deflicker enabled? Is it had to do with the GameCube hardware, or something else?

Any helpful explanation is appreciated.

2. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

Jaggies still appear because of a lack of anti-aliasing in the game; that's my guess, anyways. Much like your computer monitor, playing PC games displays "jaggies" unless you have a card that does anti-aliasing, even though the signal to your monitor is deinterlaced.

I really saw an obvious difference when I hooked up the component cables to my Gamecube; brighter colors, better saturation, and much more detail in the textures.

3. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

I bet alot of it depends on the specific game. I've heard Rogue Leader looks incredible in progressive scan.

4. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

It's because the games are running in 640x480, and with most HDTV sets you are going to see all of that resolution with no softening of the image.

Look at a game running in 640x480 on your PC, you will see 'jaggies' there as well.