What's new

Jackson's HEAVENLY CREATURES not to be so special after all? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
While it does look like we're getting an anamorphic 2.35:1 transfer of the 99 minute cut, there are no other special features listed, and the $19.99 price point looks like a bare bones effort. 9/24 street date.

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
A shame, as this is a movie that can be further appreciated by a commentary and/or documentary, considering the interesting true-life story it was based on.
Oh well, for that price and an anamorphic transfer, it's hard to complain!
EDIT: For those that are interested in the making of the movie and the controversy surrounding it, here is a rather exhaustive HC site:
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Studio/2194/

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
The biggest concern for me was getting the film in it's OAR and anamorphic. Somewhere along the line, we will probably get a disc with a plethora of extras but for now, just getting this wonderful film in a watchable format is enough for me.

Bruce

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
With the rumours recently that an SE was planned, it is dissapointing that no extra effort for supplements or the extended cut are being made. I'll probably pass on this for now, since I suspect this is another attempt at double dipping. I agree that an anamorphic transfer in the correct aspect ratio is the most important thing (assuming BV doesn't pull another Purple Noon/Bell du Jour scam on us), but given Jackson's stature now, an SE has to be in the offing somewhere.

I'm surprised this thread has gotten as little attention as it has, I thought there was more interest in this film.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
:thumbsdown: :angry:
This is very very disappointing. I had been using this as a gauge for future PJ (re)releases such as the Frighteners and Dead Alive. But seeing this drops any hope of an SE of the Frighteners right in the toilet. If they don't even want to give his most widely acclaimed film (at least until LotR) an SE given the amount of time they've had, what hope does that give for his more cult releases.
I sincerly hope that this is just a double dip approach that they are taking. While I find the practice of releasing a bare bones release without mentioning any other impending SE release, I would rather have that happen than to have no SE releases at all.
The really bad thing is that we will all hold off on purchasing it because we sense an SE rerelease and they will take that as an indication that there is no interest in his earlier work.
Well, on the bright side, at least we will have an anamorphic OAR release of this wonderful film.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Annoyingly, Nigel Black and Amanda Jenkins are both credited with "video diary" on the end credits of the film, so it's not like there's no materials to work from.

Julie K

Screenwriter
Like with all PJ films, there should be absolutely tons of extras floating around.

I'm very disappointed in this news and also think this bodes ill for a Frighteners SE release.

Jim Bivins

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not that disapointed, that's just money that I'll take to another studio!

Get with the program Miramax!

Jim

Shane Gralaw

Second Unit
I'm not disappointed. As often as I watch the supplements on my other discs, I probably won't miss them on this edition. According to DVD Journal, PJ prefers the shorter cut and I think the pace is absoutely perfect so don't really want the longer cut to potentially spoil that. An anamorphic transfer of my favorite film is all I need to be happy.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I don't think the desire of fans was ever to have the longer cut instead of the shorter one, the idea was to have BOTH versions available, like the Legend release. I highly doubt this will be the last release of this film with two more Lord of the Rings titles due in the next few years. I suspect this is simply another in a long line of bare bones first releases which will be followed some time later with a proper special edition.

Larry P

Stunt Coordinator
I too will have to pass; and opt to wait on a potential and inevitable special edition release (which contains the longer cut hopefully) :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks