Jackpot: anybody seen this?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mario Bartel, Dec 29, 2001.

1. Mario Bartel

Mario Bartel Stunt Coordinator

Oct 20, 1998
    Always on the lookout for treasures hidden amongst the walls of mega-releases at the video store, I picked up Jackpot the other night.

This is the sophomore film by the Polish brothers, who you may remember from their dark and sad tale about cojoined twins, Twin Falls, Idaho.

This time they've created one of the saddest road/buddy movies I've ever seen, following the adventures of a down-and-out karaoke singer (Jon Gries) and his manager (a wonderful performance by Garrett Morris).

As they did with Twin Falls, the Polish brothers make the most of their modest budget, with stylish photography and bold, vibrant colors that are nicely captured on the dvd. I'm pretty sure the packaging also said the sound was 5.1, but, try as I might, I could only get ProLogic, not that it would have made much difference in such a small film.
  2. JohnS

JohnS Producer

Jan 17, 2001
    John Steffens
    A very dull and stale story. It has terrible, unecessary and at times confusing editing.
    I had no idea what the characters wanted to do or tried to do during this movie. It had no point and didn't go anywhere. Plus the description on the DVD case, remotely had nothing to do with really what happeaned in the movie