What's new

Mark Y

Screenwriter
If you take all the episodes from the 4 MPI "Color Honeymooners" releases and all the episodes from the largest set of this upcoming Jackie Gleason Show In Color release, that should add up to about all of the episodes from the Jackie Gleason show that ran from 1966-1970, shouldn't it?

That's what I thought at first. But compared to lists of the Gleason shows of the era on the internet, this won't be all of them.

It will be great to get more of the Jackie Gleason Show available on disc, but I wonder why the American Scene Magazine years keep getting overlooked? I hope the shows still exist and are in decent condition.

Material from the American Scene Magazine series existed in the mid-1980s, as there was a half-hour syndicated series on black and white video. They looked and sounded good at the time, but since then, who knows? (For some reason I seem to recall Fox as the distributor for the syndicated series, which of course means nothing in terms of who owns the video rights.)

My guess is they belong to the Gleason estate. I don't have the Classic 39 Blu-Ray set, but "The Adoption" is on it as an extra. I would think it would say who they licensed it from, if CBS/Paramount does not in fact own it.

Three of the four Honeymooners shorts on the single disc release, eh? Sneaky devils.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Probably a dumb question. I have the Honeymooners Classic 39 BD set and the 15 disc "Lost Episodes" DVD set. If I buy the ten disc Time Life set, would I then have everything that's available on disc? Or are the "Color Honeymooners" sets something else entirely?

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
Josh, I believe the Color Honeymooners are a whole different set, but that's just a best guess at my end. There were 4 volumes of that show available on DVD.

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
That is correct. MPI also released three of the four 1970s specials separately.

Mark, which of the special episodes hasn't been released yet, and what specifically was the name of that episode?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Damn, it looks like the Color Honeymooners DVDs are out of print and going for small fortunes on eBay.

Let that be a lesson on waiting. Just now I'm going through a Honeymooners binge. I've had that 15 disc "lost episodes" set since it came out (2011?) but only now just getting to it. On one hand, I can't believe I waited this long, but on the other hand, what a treat to just be able to pull it off the shelf in a moment of need.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
This seems as good a place to ask as any...

Any recommendations for either a Jackie Gleasion biography and/or book about the making of the show?

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Mark, which of the special episodes hasn't been released yet, and what specifically was the name of that episode?

One of the two Christmas ones. Off the top of my head I don't remember which one, or the specific title of it.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Josh, I believe the Color Honeymooners are a whole different set, but that's just a best guess at my end. There were 4 volumes of that show available on DVD.

Wow. Glad I got caught up with those. I bought the first volume when it came out, but it was the only one I found in a store. I had to pick the others up later, and it looks like I got them just in time.

I recorded "Life Upon The Wicked Stage" from Goodlife (edited), but that will have to do.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
On the backs of the MPI releases of "The Honeymooners Specials", it gives the following information:

Second Honeymoon 1976 First of the four specials
Valentine Special 1978 Third of four specials
Christmas Special 1978 Last of the four specials

So it appears it must be the first Christmas special that remains unreleased.

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
Last edited:

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
On the backs of the MPI releases of "The Honeymooners Specials", it gives the following information:

Second Honeymoon 1976 First of the four specials
Valentine Special 1978 Third of four specials
Christmas Special 1978 Last of the four specials

So it appears it must be the first Christmas special that remains unreleased.

Chris, the missing episode is [indeed] one of the two Xmas ones and the one missing is in regards to Ralph planning to take his wife Alice on a trip to Miami Beach but he has to stay home to direct the Xmas play for his boss, Mr. Marshall, as played by Gale Gordon.

It's actually on Youtube as i elaborated on further above this posting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks