What's new

Jackie Gleason "GIGOT" (1 Viewer)

DEAN DE FURIA

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone remember this great 1962 movie with Jackie Gleason playing a lovable mute pauper? I've been trying to find a decent video copy of this for years. I taped it in EP on late night TV about 17 years ago and it just didn't weather the years well. Anyone?

Reactions: PMF

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
My parents were just asking me if this was available on DVD. As it was directed by Gene Kelly, perhaps good sales on the upcoming GENE KELLY discs will encourage the release of this film. Does anyone know who owns the rights? IMDB says Warner Bros (1967-????) but that of course is not definitive.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Yes,

i've seen it on TCM.

Gleason's performance is great.

i know it was a pet project of his,

but panned at the time for being too schmaltzy.

• Insightful

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
directed by gene kelly.

i have it on tape but havent watched all of it yet.

seems to be a forgotten movie.

• Agreed

CherylWI

Stunt Coordinator
I wonder if there is any chance this will ever be released on dvd. None of the original Honeymooner episodes have made it to dvd. So maybe the studios feel there is lack of interest for Jackie Gleason vehicles. When i saw your thread I was hoping to read that Gigot was on the to be released list. This movie has a very nostalgic, foreign movie kind of feel to it. I especially love the cat.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Due to the success of the TV-movie reamke "The Wool Cap" (starring William H. Macy) is there any chance this fine film will appear on DVD?

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
One of my favorite films from the 60s. But I have to content myself with the excellent Jackie Gleason LP of the soundtrack. Wish I had it on Blu-Ray, or even DVD. Thanks for the memory.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
bryan4999 said:
amazon lists it as 1.33, is that correct?
I saw GIGOT when it opened, at the Loew's State in Utica, NY. I remember the photography and production design (by Jean Bourgoin, Auguste Capelier & Alexandre Trauner, respectively)being really stunning. And it was shown in 1:85:1. If this is one of the Fox Cinema Archive MOD's, the visual quality of these releases are extremely erratic. And post 1952 films, Cinemascope as well as widescreen, are usually pan and scan. Still, if one loves the film, and hasn't seen it in 50 odd years........

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
It's letterboxed, but not anamorphic. Transfer's not the greatest. Not P&S, though.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
JoHud said:
It's letterboxed, but not anamorphic. Transfer's not the greatest. Not P&S, though.
Joe, thanks so much for the information! I have a feeling that this may be the same master used for the VHS release, which I recall also being letterboxed. I admit I'm dying to own this, but the beautiful quality of the image is what I remember most about the film, so I'm very hesitant. On a scale of 1 to 5, how would you rate the disc visually?

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I'd rate it 2.5. It looks like an older analog transfer. Could be the same video master for that VHS release.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
JoHud said:
I'd rate it 2.5. It looks like an older analog transfer. Could be the same video master for that VHS release.
Thanks so much Joe for your quick response!

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
Turner Classic Movies is showing "GIGOT" on February 17, 2014 at 8:00 pm. Just noticed this on their schedule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
There is no good DVD of "Gigot". The Mod disc being sold is 1:33:1. The original film is in Cinemascope.
This is Jackie Gleason's forgotten masterpiece. Fox film.

• Agreed

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Saw “Gigot” in the later portion of my single-digit years. Once more, again, as a teen. Television viewings in both cases. Unforgettable and Jackie’s answer to the humane silence of The Little Tramp.

Gleason being directed by Gene Kelly; along with DP Jean Bourgoin (Mon Oncle, Black Orpheus, The Longest Day); and still not yet available on BD?

MIA to say the very least; and for our future notations, “Gigot” was distributed by 20th Century-Fox.

Last edited:

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Well, if being a Fox film means it in Disney's hands now, it will be a cold day in the far subbasement when "Gigot" gets released. If it ever does come out, it won't have been released by Disney. It will have escaped!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks