Jackie Chan's POLICE STORY - Uncut, finally

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt_Stevens, Aug 2, 2001.

1. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

HONG KONG LEGENDS' (HKL) web site has been updated to include more covers of future releases, including "POLICE STORY", Jackie Chan's all time greatest modern set film. It has long been available only in butchered, dubbed, rescored pan & scan versions, but now, we will finally get to see it the way it was meant to be seen.
    Yes, this is region 2 PAL, but I felt that with the number of people who come here that have PAL capabilities, the word needs to get out. Very few people go to the Region forum, so moderators, please let this stay here.
    Thanks
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman

2. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    I thought the Hong Kong release was uncut?
    Jeff

3. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

The Hong Kong release is terrible. It may be uncut, but the print was pretty bad (and zoomboxed), the transfer was a PAL to NTSC conversion that had excess DVNR, resulting in an unstable image with ghosting and artifacts everywhere. The subtitles were from the same laughable translation used for over a decade, filled with spelling errors and sentences that are frequently impossible to understand.
    But worst of all, Media Asia remixed the sound, resulting in a a forced 5.1 with all new sounds that were constantly out of synch, lacking in bass, but ripe with distortion and shrillness. A real disaster that actually sounds ten times worse than the original mono track (much like the A Better Tomorrow films). I sold mine just weeks after buying it when it was first released.
    So this is a first. POLICE STORY, uncut, restored, properly subtitled with a soundtrack from the ORIGINAL sound elements. Anyone that has viewed Hong Kong Legend's releases knows that they are always respectful to the original sound of the mono soundtracks and only expand the ORIGINAL ambient sound slightly, for a greater effect. These are not forced soundtracks, thank God.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Note: I find it troubling that this subject could not be kept in the normal DVD section. DVD players that convert PAL to NTSC are becoming almost common place (and will be, thanks to the new Malata player) and the word needs to get out that these Hong Kong films finally are being given the respect they so richly deserve.
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman
    [Edited last by Matt_Stevens on August 02, 2001 at 02:49 PM]

4. Gunnar Syren

Gunnar Syren Stunt Coordinator

Wow!
    I love HKL's releases. And Police Story is my favorite Jackie Chan film. AND this release has a commentary by Bey Logan. His commentaries are almost always great.
    This is a must buy [​IMG]. Another of my old VHS tapes goes into retirement...

5. Garry I

Garry I Stunt Coordinator

For those who don't know, it is going to be released on september 24th(it has been broought forward), not october 22nd and Game of death will be released on Octoer 22nd(Delayed from september). This is definately the one to get.