Jackie Chan- The movie Thunderbolt help me find it!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jeff Adams, Jun 4, 2003.

1. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Hey guys, I have searched for this movie all over and can not find it. Any suggestions?

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

http://www.dddhouse.com/cms/dddhouse...productID=1922

The DVD is distributed by Warner, which means the english subs have intentionally not been included. The VCD has subs however. I don't know if it was shot in English or not, as the film isn't even listed on IMDB.

Great scene in a pachinko parlor though.

3. Christian P

Christian P Stunt Coordinator

Hi!

IMDb-Entry.

I have the german DVD. Anamorphic widescreen, German DD 5.1, Englisch Dolby Surround (with german subtitles only).

Regards
    Chris

4. PaulaJ

PaulaJ Supporting Actor

Ebay always has lots of copies of the HK DVD of Thunderbolt available... so just go there, click on "movies," type Thunderbolt into the search engine, and you'll find what you're looking for.

5. Corey Hall

Corey Hall Agent

6. Jason Hennigan

Jason Hennigan Stunt Coordinator

Jason Hennigan
    The IMDB lists Thunderbolt under its other English title, "Dead Heat." (I forget which country used that title).

A friend of mine has the Mandarin Region 0 version, but I don't listen to HK films in Mandarin, so I don't have it. I do have a VHS version with the original language track, which is really cool. It's a mix of Cantonese, Japanese, and English (and maybe another language, I don't remember).

However, this film is definitely worth getting. The Pachinko scene is very good (until the part where Sammo Hung worked on it, and screwed it up), and the racing scenes are interesting (sped up footage).

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0114126

7. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

Thunderbolt is finally getting a legit release in the U.S.. New Line is putting it out in January:

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemid=NLD010037

Early specs at DDD state it has the Cantonese track. Hopefully it will be uncut and subbed so I can finally retire the old HK ld I have.

--Ian

8. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

Anybody get this yet? I was just wondering if it is indeed uncut. The posted running time from various sites says it is 84 minutes and I don't have a LD player right now to compare to my old HK disc.

--Ian

9. Jeff Krispow

Jeff Krispow Stunt Coordinator

As you stated, nearly ever retailer website lists THUNDERBOLT as having a running time of 84m, which would mean that this version would be cut by nearly 27m. Even New Line's own website (and publicity site) lists an incorrect run time
    (93m) .

However...

It looks like we lucked out -- according to the back cover of the actual DVD, the listed running time is 111m!

I unfortunately don't have a larger shot of the back cover, but in this one posted over at DVD Empire, sharp-eyed readers will be able to juuuuuust make out the 111m run time in the super tiny print (it's the very bottom grid, 3rd box in from the right side):

[c][​IMG][/c]

So far, only one retailer seems to have updated their listings to reflect the correct run time (Barnes & Noble, of all places).

Also, I found one review of the new DVD thus over at FilmGuru.net, which also lists the DVD as being 110m.

Anyway, it seems like a safe bet this IS the full cut of the film. Woohoo!

10. Jeff Krispow

Jeff Krispow Stunt Coordinator

Just as an FYI, my copy of THUNDERBOLT arrived today, and as I stated in my previous post, it is indeed the full uncut 111m Hong Kong version.

New Line did an OUTSTANDING job on the DVD, and even included a specific feature that managed to take me utterly by surprise... in a GOOD way (something not easy to do these days).

As noted on the packaging, the THUNDERBOLT DVD includes both the original Cantonese DD 2.0 Surround Stereo track as well as the standard, dreadful English dub (DD 5.1).

However...

What the packaging doesn't tell you is that New Line also included two different English subtitle streams -- each language track has its own specific subtitle stream.

In other words:

The original Cantonese-language track features a "literal" translation of the original dialogue! Even better, prominent on-screen Chinese text (such as signs) are also translated via the subtitles, so you know what they say!!! (Note: In addition to Cantonese, the film's original audio track also contains quite a bit of English dialogue -- only the Cantonese dialogue is subtitled; not the English...)

Alternatively, the dubbed English DD 5.1 track has its own corresponding "dubtitle" track featuring the altered rewritten dub-version text. Contrary to the Cantonese "literal" subtitle track, none of the prominent on-screen Chinese text gets translated -- not really a surprise.

Just as an FYI, even though there is a "CC" (closed-caption) logo on the packaging, no closed-caption signal is actually present on the DVD.

New Line has also made the selection of the proper subtitle stream essentially moron-proof. Only a single English and Spanish subtitle selection is apparently offered in the set-up menu -- however, when you select "English" subtitles, the DVD automatically plays the English subtitle stream corresponding to your audio/language choice. (Subtitle Track 1 = English dubtitles; 2 = Spanish; 3 = Cantonese literal translation.)

New Line definitely needs to be commended for this DVD presentation -- not only do we get a Jackie Chan film uncut from them for once, but its original Cantonese language audio track is intact, and the disc comes with both "literal" and "dubtitle" subtitle streams!!! What more could anyone ask for? (Well, extras would be nice).

Here's hoping that New Line will reissue all their previous Jackie Chan releases in the same manner!

11. Jason Hennigan

Jason Hennigan Stunt Coordinator

Jason Hennigan
    That is excellent. I was hoping this was uncut, and the two sub options is very good (and very overdue).

Of course, I haven't found it locally yet.

12. Random Hero

Random Hero Second Unit

From what I've heard from a friend who's seen this disc, the literal/translated track just seems to be a dubtitle track with a bit of tweaking. You can tell because there are sometimes subtitles that appear when no one is speaking. Also, sometimes the subtitles match the dubtitles on the other track.

If you don't mind this little annoyance, this is a great edition to pick up. I hear the transfer is excellent.

13. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    try blockbuster to rent it.
    my store got about 20 of them.

i was surprised to see so many.

whats it about btw?