Jackie Chan - the Fred Astaire of our age?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by andrew markworthy, Sep 21, 2003.

1. andrew markworthy

I wouldn't want to push the analogy too far, but has anyone else noticed the similarities between Jackie Chan and Fred Astaire movies?

(a) They are both noted for intricately choreographed set pieces.

(b) The bits between the choreographed set pieces either completely suck or are usually just filler.

(c) Both their movies are usually described in terms of 'oh that's the one where there's the fight on the rooftop' or 'that's the one with the dance in the park' etc. I.e. in terms of the set pieces, not the plot.

I can't think of any other actors (other than some of those in the silent era) who are quite so noted for set pieces rather than entire films.

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

My ex made an interesting comment after watching Shanghai Kights. She said Jackie Chan's fight scenes looked like Danny Kaye with Kung Fu.

3. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

4. Kirk Tsai

Kirk Tsai Screenwriter

I can see the analogy between Astaire and Chan, though from what I've seen of Astaire, his movies can be more coherent and well rounded. Still, I'd follow Jackie anywhere. In terms of comedy and action mix, I think he is most compatible with Harold Lloyd. They are both eager to please the audience, and have a go-getter mentality.

It's a slight shame that many Americans only know him from his American movies, where he performs less of his daring stunts. I rewatched Project A the other day; his agility back then was downright scary. The Police Story movies are amazing. Drunken Master 2 (American release: The Legend of Drunken Master) is one of the greatest physical performances of all time. Even his later HK pictures, which tried to be more James Bond-ish in their settings and lacked good storytelling, featured Jackie at his genuis.

He's been awarded the Best Actor award for the Golden Horse award (Taiwanese equiv to Oscars), perhaps not justifyingly, and it's clear that he'll never win an Academy Award. But I think by the end of his career, he should receive an honorary Oscar. He's brought so much joy to audiences around the world.

5. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

6. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Gimmie a break! [​IMG]

7. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

8. DAN NEIR

DAN NEIR Guest

td: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] to those who thread fart.
    Chan deserves a lifetime oscar.

9. Gregg Shiu

Gregg Shiu Second Unit

Jackie Chan is still pretty damn amazing. I agree I wish his American films were up to the caliber of several Hong Kong releases, but he still manages to showcase his talents no matter what. However, I hope to God he'd stop doing films with wire-fu (ala Tuxedo or Medallion) because it just takes away from the magic that is Jackie Chan. And...

10. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy

11. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

12. Nick P

Nick P Second Unit

I love Jackie. He is such a likable character in all his movies and I assume he is in real life too. I'd be devastated to find out he was a wife beater or something like that. Seriously, I'd be crushed. Yes he does deserve a lifetime achievment award from the Academy.

13. Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson Supporting Actor

Sorry guys but I don't see it. He is somewhat funny in his movies, but I've seen nothing that shows he deserves a lifetime award. Perhaps something like Rush Hour 3 will change my mind but I highly doubt it. His movies before America are nicely choreographed and have decent action but I see nothing that says lifetime award. Really, he does the samething over and over with different surroundings and items, no real diversity to this guy.
    Thank you

14. Gregg Shiu

Gregg Shiu Second Unit

I have to disagree with the above statement, his movies all showcase a diverse display of well-coordinated, fluid stunts and martial arts. Though I'm not so sure where I stand with giving Jackie a lifetime award here in America, he most certainly deserves the recognition he gets, if not more. If someone else could do what this man does, we would've seen a copy by now.

15. andrew markworthy