What's new

jackie chan movies..is that his real voice? (1 Viewer)

stephen la

Stunt Coordinator
picked up some hong kong dvds.. city hunter.. twin dragons.. gorgeous..

I have some ?'s

what langauge is the original language track? cantonese,mandarin, chinese, or simplified chinese?

niether sound like jackie chan? can someone explain this? thanks

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
In Hong Kong it was (and still to a degree is) common practice to shoot w/o production audio and loop the dialogue later, even with different actors than are on screen! Jackie's own voice is not used in many of his HK films(and Jet Li isn't doing himself in Fist of Legend), like Drunken Master 2

Cantonese is OSL for 99% of Hong Kong films, Jackie should be himself in "Gorgeous", because that was made after he started shooting production audio.

stephen la

Stunt Coordinator
thanks Jeff.. it sounds odd..that a mega star there such as jackie chan didnt record his own voice on his movies until recently..

I also noticed from looking at their lips in the american/uk dubs..that the non hong kong actors speak english in their parts..

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Jackie Chan has started shooting English as OSL for his movies, starting around Mr. Nice Guy. I guess they figure that HK audiences are so used to seeing badly matched dialogue they don't care it's dubbed ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks