Jackie Chan.. import vs Disney questions..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by stephen la, Dec 5, 2001.

1. stephen la

stephen la Stunt Coordinator

jackie's hong kong movies completly blow away the rush hours..

Im trying to get a good collection going of his hk films.

I know disney releases some..they have a great picture.. but they are dubbed in english only.I sort of like the bad dubbing..I think they do a good job for a comedy....but sometimes the disney versions are edited for content..like the end of drunken master..

Im planning to get twin dragons..the movie where he plays 2 twin brothers.. but cant decided on the import or the disney relase.. I havent seen the disney relase of it.. so I want to know if any footage is edited / removed..

if so I will get the hong kong version.. even though its only subtitled

is there a site with the differences for his disney vs hong kong versions of the films.. to see what was cut. etc..

thanks

2. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

The Dimension Home Video version of Twin Dragons, distributed by Buena Vista Home Entertainment, cuts ten minutes from the film. Another stupid change is that the character Tarzan becomes Tyson in the English dub.

Even though the Universe Video & Laser Co. Ltd. release of Twin Dragons has only a decent video transfer, this version retains all the footage and is subtitled in English. This is a R0 Hong Kong release.

Not only that, YesAsia.com has Twin Dragons on sale for $8.49 U.S. which is far cheaper than the cut and dubbed R1 version.

You might also want to pick up Gorgeous from YesAsia.com since that is also on sale for $10.99 U.S. The R0 Hong Kong Universe Video & Laser Co. Ltd. release is the uncut version of the film. Albeit Columbia Tri-Star offers an audio commentary with Jackie Chan, you lose 22 minutes from the film. The Hong Kong release even has added-value materials: The Making of Gorgeous, Video Interviews with Jackie Chan & Vincent Kok, Press Conference footage, and music video. The Hong Kong release features optional English subtitles for the film, the documentary, and video interviews. The press conference and music video are not subtitled.

3. stephen la

stephen la Stunt Coordinator

cool..thanks alot.. Im on those 2.. any other recommendations.. I have the american releases of rumble in the bronx.. mr nice guy.. supercop (the hanging from helicopter stunt one) gorgeous & legend of druken master should I buy the imports of these too? for the edits

4. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

You might have a hard time finding Rumble in The Bronx. But the other titles you listed are not hard to locate.
    Although Thakral is the the only distributor who is selling a version of Drunken Master II(The Legend of Drunken Master in the U.S.) with English subtitles. Problem is, the film is cropped from 2.35:1 to 1.78:1 but you do get the original ending.
    Police Story III: Supercop R1 is missing about two minutes of footage. A new title sequence was created as a different soundtrack with a new music score. Jackie Chan's character changes from Chen Chiachu to Kevin Chan. Michelle Yeoh is credited as Michelle Khan in the credits.
    Mr. Nice Guy R1 is cut by over 20 minutes and features a new score.
    Rumble in the Bronx is missing some footage as well. The IMDB lists the cuts here: http://us.imdb.com/AlternateVersions?0113326 and the end title song was original sung by Jackie Chan. The R1 release omits the song.
    Your best bet if you like Jackie Chan films is to get the import DVDs. These present the original uncut and unaltered films. True, you have to read the movie but it is much better than losing footage or hearing a different score.
    As a side note, most of the U.S. & Canadian R1 releases of Jackie Chan films have Jackie Chan redubbing his own voice in English. Which is why some people may prefer the dubbed versions since its actually him speaking English.
    And one more thing...
    www.asiandvdguide.com
    Search for a favorite Jackie Chan film then see if its cut. Or try the IMDB(us.imdb.com) and see if the edits are listed for the films.

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

It should be noted that everything since I believe Mr. Nice Guy has an OSL of English, so they are not dubbed. However, the R1s are still often edited and butchered in other ways