What's new

Jackass Movie: Not at Wal-Mart or K-Mart (1 Viewer)

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
Video Business Magazine is reporting that both Wal-Mart and Kmart have decided not to carry Paramount Home Entertainment's Jackass the Movie when it debuts March 25.

The decision, according to a spokeswoman for Wal-Mart, was "based on what we believe our customers want." Paramount, for their part, had no official comment.

As much as I loathe Wal-Mart's monster buying power, and therefore their "say" in the business of DVD production, this decision is going to put a serious crimp in Paramount's sales numbers.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Jackass will still sell lots of copies even if not being carried at the hell hole that is Wal-Mart. Target will still carry it and a few unrated DVDs (American Pie 1 & 2) have had great sales even when not being carried at a major chain like Wal-Mart. Granted Jackass is only rated R, but still.

And Wal-Mart are the biggest hypocrites in the world. They won't carry Jackass, uncensored music, or unrated DVDs; but that doesn't stop them from carrying Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2 on VHS and DVD (both Unrated titles).

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I think in light of the issue that Jackass breeds copycats is a very good reason why a family oriented store shouldn't carry it. I know we have our choice to buy it or not, but controlling minor's right to purchase by not having it is not all together a bad thing. I'm for it. I've noticed that both Walmart and K-mart don't carry movies like Faces of Death, or College Girls go wild or Playboy's greatest models or something like that. Eventhough staff is suppose to check I.D. to make sure the purchaser of movies R-rated is not a minor, but it's not fail safe.

Matt Rexer

Stunt Coordinator
I think in light of the issue that Jackass breeds copycats
Because we all know that before JackAss, teens *never* did stupid things. I just hope Wal*Mart doesn't sell whatever movie Hitler was watching right before he invaded Poland...

No matter how desparate, I will never -- ever -- buy anything from Wally World because of stuff like this [not even gonna mention CD censorship].

Michael Hall

Stunt Coordinator
Whether you liked the "Jackass" movie or not, this is yet another case of the Wal*Mart empire showing how big it's collective you know what is. As a corporation, they're out and out predatory in their business practices, moving into small areas with a thriving downtown community and driving them all out of business. The town I grew up around had a rather sizable downtown mom and pop community, and then WM moved in and now it's not a downtown anymore: it's a ghost town.

There was an excellent documentary (whose name I cannot recall) on PBS about six months ago about Wal*Mart trying to move into a small area near Norfolk, Virginia and the townspeople who opposed a move, considering it would kill their downtown, homey atmosphere, and there was a Wal*Mart literally about ten minutes up the road. The town council was implied to be in WMs pocket, so the townspeople voted them out at the next election; but as a final, f--k you to the people of the town, the lame duck council passed the referendum to allow WM to move in anyway. I haven't done any checking into if the WM has already been built, but WM is fighting tooth and nail to build a Supercenter in the historic town of Abingdon, VA, and the townspeople are fighting tooth and nail to keep them out. And again, there are two WMs literally five minutes up the road from Abingdon, VA.

And keep in mind that this is the same company that was once persuaded by Jimmy Swaggart to ban "Tiger Beat" magazine from its shelves. And don't get me started on the evils of the "squiggley dance." Ugh.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
moving into small areas with a thriving downtown community and driving them all out of business.
A new Wally World was opened up near me recently. It's located in a shopping center that looks just like an old towne or village. They drive all the little stores out of business, then create an artificial edifice to look just like them. I'm sure most people don't think twice about it either.

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
I saw that documentary! What an eye-opener... especially the lawyers that fly in on the Wal-Mart jet whenever there's talk of "unionizing".

And don't forget that Wal-Mart was also the same company that took a "Peanuts" T-shirt off its shelves because a single customer was offended by Lucy saying that "one day she would be President".

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Jackass is very much a movie that, if people can't buy it at Wal-Mart, they will simply buy it someplace else. Heck, even grocery stores and convenience stores stock DVDs. I can't imagine that sales will be that greatly affected.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Is anyone actually surprised by this? It's an everyday thing for retailers to pass on titles that could be viewed as questionable. I've been looking to catch DOA beach volleyball on sale locally and the only retailer i've found carrying it is Circuit City. The same people who would object to their children playing DOA probably wouldn't object to Doom.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Anyone know when that Documentary will be repeated? Sounds like an interesting watch...

too bad something can't be done about companies like this. I'm sure there are no small amount of poeple who would LOVE to see something done about Wallmart.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
YAY! Wal-Mart finally does something right for once! The people who made this movie should be hauled off to JAIL. I don't see how they managed to get this stuff past the MPAA! It's ludicrous that they would allow any studio to release these horrible crimes on tape. I am appaled at the membership for wanting this to be seen by anyone. I saw a documentary about the series that came before the movie, and it's horrible how they treated those people.

John C

Stunt Coordinator
In response to the last thread, what horrible crimes are you referring to? What people are you referring to as being treated horribly? You need to be very specific when you are referring to these kinds of things so we can see where you are coming from. I personally thought Jackass was equally disgusting and hilarious.

Michael Hall

Stunt Coordinator

This was told to me about six years ago by a longtime Wal*Mart employee and I recently had it confirmed that as recently as two years ago, it was still being done in at least one area. It's not indicative of the evil of WM, but it's still pretty damned silly.

Basically, instead of having "managers" and "employees", WM has "team leaders" and "team members." They work on shifts with each other, and have a mini-"pep rally" meeting together before going into work in their break room. At the end of the team meeting, they do the Wal*Mart chant.

"Gimmee a W!"
"Gimmee an A!"
"Gimmee an L!"

At this point, instead of going straight to "M", they include the dash (see more on this below), but instead of saying "gimmee a dash!" they say "Gimmee a Squiggley!" and do this ridiculous full body wormish convulsion that when demonstrated for me, reminded me of a cross between Axl Rose in the "Welcome to the Jungle" video on meth and Elaine's dancing (which George referred to as a "full body dry heave") on "Seinfeld."

That, my friends, is the evil of the "Squiggley Dance." Makes you think, doesn't it? :)

Oh, and by the way, another inside Wal*Mart story. If you're wondering why "Wal-Mart" suddenly became "Wal*Mart" a few years ago, it's because according to Wal*Mart corporate headquarters, "Sam Walton is now a star in the sky!" Personally, I type it just to be faceitous. :)

Anders Englund

Second Unit
I don't see anytyhing wrong with a company trying to expand in any way they can. That's buisness. But trying to dictate what people should watch is another thing. Ít's impossible to NOT offend anyone, so why even bother? I personally get offended when others get offended over stupid things (but that's about the only thing that gets to me). Makes me ashamed to be part of the human race. If everyone did their best not to offend ME, I'm sure we'd all be much happier. :angry:

--Anders

Vic_T

Stunt Coordinator
Wal-Mart is a bunch of hypocrites. I was there a couple days ago and saw "Two Moon Junction" and "Embrace of the Vampire" (R and Unrated)and there. But I suppose titty movies are OK, as long as no one says a dirty word. When my brother worked there he said they refused to carry the soundtrack to Natural Born Killers because of the profanity, but they carried the movie (all the profanity on the soundtrack was from sound bites of the movie). Of course, Wal-Mart caves in to the groups that blindly point fingers at music and video games because it keeps their wholesome image alive. Wal-Mart is about as far from wholesome as I can see; they appear to be rather cut throat in most of their business tactics.

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
I personally get offended when others get offended over stupid things
I couldn't have said it better. If you don't like it don't watch it / buy it. No one forces you to buy something you don't like. This new kind of censorship is retarded. Thankfully I don't shop at Wal Mart because of there Music CD policy. If I want to listen to censored music I'll listen to the radio. When I buy a CD I don't want to hear a bunch of air or beeps in place of words that some holy doers find offensive. Which in my opinion they shouldn't be listening to that kind of music anyway just because a certain curse word is replaced it doesn't change the meaning of the song. People get all up in arms over certain scenes in movies or certain words in music and for what. Its not like you can make everyone in this world believe the same as you. If that happened this rock would become alot more bland than it already is. ;)

jonathan_govols

Stunt Coordinator
Well chances are there wouldn't be any widescreen copies at my local Wal-Mart or K-Mart so it dosent matter to me anyways. I'll pre order it on the net.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks