What's new

Jackass DVD's-How TV Shouldn't be Done (1 Viewer)

Ike

Screenwriter
I admit it-I find Jackass funny. I'm not all that ashamed either-it's a real life cartoon. It's stupid and it knows it's stupid. So does Jerry Springer-but what separates it is that it's actually entertaining. And for my own ego, I'll say that the two volumes are sandwiched in between Hong War Kwai's In the Mood For Love, and Spielberg's Jaws. :D All right, now that that's out of the way....
The DVD's are a huge disappointment. For one-they are still completely censored. Every 'F' bomb, butt crack, and accidental human feces remains as was aired on TV. It'd be nice if they could have at least unbleeped it-with the movie doing so well, it seems odd that MTV got tepid with the DVD.
Second, this is a "best of". Not even best of the season-best of shows. It's like a long clip show. They take skits from the seasons, and link them together. Since many of the episodes had little funny asides, running gags, and such, it'd be nice if we could have had season sets.
Even worse, is some of the music in the bits, one of the highlights of the show, has been changed. The stretcher scene now no longer has The Pixies "I've Got a Broken Face" running behind it. The Rolling Stone cover shoot ends before Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone". I'm sure there are more, but those stuck out like a sore thumb.
Next, the features are useless-a trivia game, and a photo gallery. The menus are funny, but that's not much. The Steve-O video by Trimark had better features than this.
Third, despite being cheap individually, the content that is spread over these 2 DVD's could have easily fit onto one. So you are really paying $28 or so for 1 featureless DVD.
That said, however, I still don't regret buying them, because I'm an idiot that finds people getting hurt and farting funny. :D

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Thanks for that info, I was going to buy these.
Now I'll just wait for season sets :rolleyes
or just stay content whenever the Movie DVD comes out

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Yeah, same here. The censored stuff doesn't bother me that much since that's how it originally aired (although a 2nd uncensored audio track would have been neat.)

But edited clips and whatnot means no sale for me.

TedT

Second Unit
Ah, too bad I didn't see this post until now! Guess I should return the set I bought today during lunch!

Why oh why didn't they make it on one DVD! Edited?!?! Censored?!?! ARG!

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
It's too bad... because they could fit all three seasons of the show, plus bonus materials, on 3 dual layer discs and 1 single layered disc (to hold the extras and the "gumball rally" episode).

Ike

Screenwriter
The other thing, since this is like a Greatest Hits of Jackass, classics are left off: I'd trade Snake River BMX for Johnny getting maced, stunned, and tazered. I'd take Goldfish trick over Broken arm. I'd take the night monkey stuff over American Werewolf. I'd take the porta-o-potty dump over the shortened Rolling Stone cover shoot.
I don't see how the most famous bits from the start of the show-Johnny getting stun gunned, and the port-o-potty dump-were left off. It smells a little like MTV were trying to go more for what couldn't be copied by dummies at home. Thus, there's too heavy an influence of skits (which I never thought were something Jackass did well), and too little of what made the show great-people getting hurt.
Also annoying is the TV crawl telling us not to try this at home-get that off my goddam screen. You told me once. That's enough.

Chad Parks

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, what a disappointment. I would have shelled out instantly even for a basic season 1 disc. But with the way there are, no thanks!

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
I like the show alot too. I think I will pass on this. It sounds like the funniest stuff got cut :thumbsdown: Also I'd prefer like everyone else here a season set. But I don't believe MTV has even released a season set of anything. Which is a shame because I would have bought celebrity death match.

Ike

Screenwriter
It sounds like the funniest stuff got cut :thumbsdown:
It honestly does seem like there was a volume 1, containing the more famous stunts, that is not available. Maybe there's a story behind this.
Just to reiterate, though I'm extremely disappointed, I'm still glad to own these. Though I still think of what could have been, what's here is funny. I can, however, understand someone not wanting to purchase this.

Eric Meske

Stunt Coordinator
MTV released Season 1 of The Real World, and is going to release The Osbournes: Season 1 next year, in an uncensored and censored version to boot.
Actually, I believe the Osbournes is being released by Disney and not MTV, so that's kind of a separate issue.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Yeah, I won't be picking these up either. I understand the reason they are censored on MTV, but censoring these on DVD is ridiculous!

Jeff

James Reader

Screenwriter
MTV also released WWF Tough Enough as a season set (although strangly they wanted to charge another $20 for a sepearate 'Behind Tough Enough' instead of including it in the set).

Ike

Screenwriter
Actually, I believe the Osbournes is being released by Disney and not MTV, so that's kind of a separate issue.
Not really-MTV and Disney are releasing season box sets. This is MTV and Paramount, and Paramount has released season sets-they are quite prolific in Star Trek season sets.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Glad I checked this out, I never saw Jackass except for one episode a friend taped and was jazzed as hell to pick up these discs! Guess I'll rent instead, and hope for season sets.

I would of prepared full episode discs to a clips disc, clip shows never work, IMHO, as they don't flow.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Yes, but MTV has total control over their properties in how they are released. Paramount is a distributor only

Users who are viewing this thread