Jack Valenti Resigns as head of MPAA

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Chris, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

2. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

Valenti has announced that he is stepping down from his post last April. He has urged the MPAA to hurry up in hiring his successor. I don't know why this is just now making the rounds of some of the news organizations.

~Edwin

3. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

news.com speculates that they've already picked a new chief lobbyist -- a former Cabinet secretary.

4. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

*laugh* yeah, good luck with Glickman [​IMG] If that's serious I'm going to laugh.. what is up with hollywood hiring the non-suited [​IMG] (George Mitchell at Disney; Glickman for MPAA?)

5. Joshua_W

Joshua_W Second Unit

The MPAA is a lobbying group, so they want someone with political/Washington connections.

6. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Hmmmm...why do I suddenly have the urge to burst into song with a little number from "The Wizard of Oz"? [​IMG]

7. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Now if we could only get Michael Eisner out of Disney and Rick Berman out of Star Trek, I would be a happy guy. [​IMG]

8. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

yeah it's probably a good move in stopping the "indecency" amendment that Sen. Brownback put on the defense bill (and was quickly passed through).

Sure the MPAA deals solely with movies, but it's gotta be freaking them out too.

9. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

It's too bad they can't get Arnold to take the job!

Glenn

10. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Supporting Actor

The whole time ya'll are talking about Glickman, I'm thinking of Jiminy Glickman (aka Martin Short). That would be fun.

Jack's had an amazing career in spite of being the third shooter from the grassy knoll. [​IMG]

Peace,

DM

11. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

That's Jiminy Glick.

Anyhow, who can say how things will change? According to Wired, Valenti will still have a hand in film ratings. That's an area that is badly in need of revision. It seems so arbitrary at the moment. We have films like SCHOOL OF ROCK getting a PG13 for saying something along the lines of "He must be high," yet SW:TPM gets a PG even though a scary horned guy is sliced in half with a spray of blood.

As for the lobbying end of the MPAA, I hope that the new leader has a better grasp of where technology is headed so that the MPAA can adapt to instead of fight technology. With Internet speeds increasing, I can see a time where you can pay to download an entire DVD and burn it yourself, ala iTunes. With the right DRM, I can see this becoming a huge revenue stream for the studios.

Valenti has fought change tooth and nail. I'm glad he's gone.

12. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    I think anyone could be better than Valentis backward ways of thinking about movies and their ratings.

13. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

Wow it's the end of an era. Valenti has been head of the MPAA since what, 1908?? [​IMG]

On a semi-related note, I met his son when we used to work for the same company a few years ago. I think his name is Joseph? Nice guy, looks just like his dad.