What's new

Jack the Ripper - Opinions? (1 Viewer)

My wife has always been a fan of almost any movie that tells this story. What are some of the best titles for this story that are available on DVD?

Thanks.

Robert Saccone

Premium
I think there are two items available. The movie Jack The Ripper starring Klaus Kinski which is completely fictional. The other is Jack The Ripper the Television Series hosted by Boris Karloff. I believe it is made up of 3 individual stories. One of them is on the Ripper.

I wish that Murder By Decree, A Study In Terror, and Jack The Ripper (1988) would come out. There was also a 6 hour BBC Miniseries done in 1973 (?) which was the basis for Murder By Decree which would also be interesting..

TomF

Stunt Coordinator
You and your wife are probably already planning to pick up the From Hell DVD when it comes out next year. I thought it was an excellent fictional account of the Ripper--great seedy atmosphere and of course Johnny Depp.
Another of my favorite Ripper movies is unfortunately not out on DVD but hopefully will make it soon. It's called Time After Time and is about the Ripper going to the future (1979) in H.G. Wells' time machine. Malcolm McDowell and Mary Steenburgen are both great.
If you like Star Trek, the original series did an interesting episode on Jack the Ripper called Wolf in the Fold. It's available in volume 18 of the Star Trek DVD series.
Tom

Rob T

Screenwriter
and B5 did an episode called comes the Inquisitor that focuses on Jack the Ripper. Hopefully, it'll be released ASAP when Warner realizes that there is a fairly large market for this show on DVD.

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
I have the Jack the Ripper miniseries (1988 methinks) with Michael Caine. It's might be a R0 disc (maybe R2) but it is in PAL. Thanks goodness for the Apex ;).
Some agreements: Murder by Decree would be nice on DVD, but who has the rights??
Time after Time : David Warner is an excellent ripper.
An addition: Study in Terror was pretty good. John Neville made a very interesting Holmes.
Cheers.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
On their site, Anchor Bay Entertainment lists Murder By Decree as a 2003 "in the future" release. It wasn't listed the last time I visited the site so it must be a new acquisition.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
The best Jack the Ripper film IMHO is the 1944 John Brahm classic THE LODGER with Laird Cregar as the tortured soul who hides out in a boarding house while detective George Sanders is hot on his trail. It's rumored to be in the works for DVD early next year, and is frequently shown on American Movie Classics and the Fox Movie Network.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks