What's new

Jack The Ripper from Severin Films (1 Viewer)

disctrip

Supporting Actor
Real Name
hank freitas
https://severin-films.com/shop/jack-the-ripper-blu/ They are releasing a limited edition and they are using the original artwork from the Monarch Books paperback movie tie-in edition. Is that legal?
Jack-the-Ripper-ROSS-ELLIS-O-SLEEVE2.jpg
jack.jpg

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
I don't believe it: even home video sleeves are being subjected to the dreaded teal effect now! When will this madness ever end? :angry:

It's also clear even from the small images above that Severin's sleeve has less resolution than the book cover and is a lot 'grainier' looking. They obviously didn't have access to the original artwork or even an earlier generation scan or photo.

On a separate note, while she's undoubtedly attractive, nothing about the young lady's hair, make-up or outfit suggests the Victorian era – such sloppiness on the part of the artist! ;) #YouHadOneJob

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
Monarch is long gone and the art can be used by anyone for anything.
And you know this how? I don't even know who the artist is; do you? How do you know copyright doesn't reside with him or her, their estate, the rights holders to the Monarch catalogue or some other corporate entity?
This is why there's so much misinformation on the internet: folk presenting misinformed opinions as fact.

On the other hand, I'm still wondering why the question was asked in the first place. I doubt anyone outside of this thread is in the slightest bit bothered! -_-

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
And you know this how? I don't even know who the artist is; do you? How do you know copyright doesn't reside with him or her, their estate, the rights holders to the Monarch catalogue or some other corporate entity?
This is why there's so much misinformation on the internet: folk presenting misinformed opinions as fact.

On the other hand, I'm still wondering why the question was asked in the first place. I doubt anyone outside of this thread is in the slightest bit bothered! -_-

I know this how? Because I've been collecting original paperback cover art for thirty years? Monarch is no more, period. They began publishing paperbacks around 1958 and I believe their last published book was in 1965, at which point they went out of business. While the texts may or may not have reverted to the writers, the cover art did not revert to the artists, ever. The paperback cover art of this era and any era was/is work for hire - the artist owns nothing. So, misinformed opinions? I don't know - mine seem more informed than yours, yes?

Furthermore, Jack the Ripper movie tie in was not even a paperback original. Monarch licensed it from the hardcover publisher Frederick Fell, Incorporated, who issued the hardcover prior to the paperback, as a movie tie-in - it has garish and good cover art, too. Fell publishers, BTW, is still with us, although they only publish self-help books now and obviously Jack the Ripper went out of print the year in which it was published, 1960. Any other questions?

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
What got me to see the movie was neither the hardcover nor paperback, but this:
jackthe ripperlp.jpg

They were playing the LP at my local record store. I asked what it was and the man behind the counter showed me the LP cover. The movie happened to be playing across the street. So I went and saw it. Probably I should have simply bought the record instead.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I saw the film the day it opened here in LA, at the Wiltern Theater, which always played Joseph E. Levine films. I rather liked it (of course I loved the color insert of the blood) - it's a cheap little film, but I watched it recently and I enjoyed it.

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
I take it that's the 1959 Shepperton film they advertised as very little information given as to what exactly it was on Blu-Ray

JACK.jpg

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
. . . . I've been collecting original paperback cover art for thirty years?

I'm sure you must have some wonderful images in that collection. A lot of paperback covers from the '40s, '50s and '60s were superbly vivid and imaginative.

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
I know this how? Because I've been collecting original paperback cover art for thirty years... etc.
Once again you post impressive-sounding assertions with no sources or links to back them, as you've done on many previous occasions. I don't doubt the veracity of much of your last post, but only because it sounds plausible. Certainly, your first post, which I responded to, was terse in the extreme and could be paraphrased as "It is so, because I say." Forgive me for indulging in a little healthy scepticism. Meanwhile, an occasional dose of humility wouldn't go amiss; it's all in the phrasing, you know. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks