Jack Palance has passed away!

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
May he continue to do one-armed pushups.

I will watch The Professionals tonight to honor him!

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I swear i thought he was already dead! One of the last tough guys. I quote his City Slickers lines all the time.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
More sad news - Jack Palance one of the great Hollywood character actors, always worth watching.

Can play good guys and the blackest of villains with ease, his personification of pure evil in the western classic Shane is not easily forgotten.

RIP Jack.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I just saw Palance in Jean-Luc Godard's Contempt.

He was also great in Tim Burton's first Batman film.

He will be missed.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
The first time I ever saw Palance was on the TV movie version of DRACULA. He made a great vampire, even if the rest of the production wasn't quite up to his talent. And he was one of the great screen villians in SHANE, a truly hissable character. I also enjoyed his work in BARABBAS, CITY SLICKERS and BATMAN. May he rest in peace.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Jack was a force of nature, a great guy and, worth mentioning, a medal winning WWII vet, wounded in combat.
I like to think that the real Jack was something like his character in Out of Rosenheim (Bagdad Café).

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
One of my very favourite actors. Although he played in many types of movies, to me his best were the westerns.
Jack Palance and James Coburn, somehow linked in my mind, are both death now.

It's good we can own movies on HT-media now, so we can choose to see these great actors perform whenever we feel like it.

May he indeed rest in peace. He will be missed.

Cees

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I had a bad feeling his time was near when he sold off his possessions just a few months ago.

Little Known Fact: Aside from being a fine actor, he was also a singer. Just last week the RFD Network showed a '60s era appearance of his on a country western show promoting an country album he had recorded. Like Robert Mitchum, he was able to transform a wonderful speaking voice into a fine singing voice.

RIP

Steve

Russell G

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
This is one of the deaths that has kind of hit me hard. I don't know why, Palance wasn't really an actor I sought out or would site on a "favorite Actor" list.

His passing made me think, I can't think of a performance of his where he was off. Like Boris Karloff, Vincent Price and other more iconic figures (and if Palance only ever did Shane, that would be enough to insure his Icon status), Palance didn't always make the best movies, but he was often the best thing in those weaker films, often elevating them into something more.

I'm going to have to do some box digging so I can revisit his fantastic performance in "Playhouse 90 : Requim For a Heavyweight".

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor

Mr. Palance was the one bright spot in the MST3K "classic" Angel's Revenge - probably because he was the only one who could act. Poor Peter Lawford seemed drunk off his ass the entire way through that movie, but that may have been to blunt the pain. Jack, however, soldiered on, despite the movie being utterly idiotic. Rumor had it that he did the movie for scotch - which must have helped dull the pain once this stinker was done.

As the mob boss in Batman, he was great, easily holding his own against Jack Nicholson, also no slouch in the great villain department.

I also remember him as a Jim Jones-like character in Buck Rogers - he blew everyone else off the screen as the leader of an evil cult.

In any case, he lived a long life, and provided a great body of work for us to enjoy. I hope he RIP, because he deserves it.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
He's awesome in City Slickers and that's the first thing I thought of when I heard about his passing. The next flick I thought of is Hawk The Slayer. Again, a great villain in a truly cool little gem of a movie.

Anybody else see that?

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
RIP Mr. Palance....and yes, he was FABULOUS in Shane.

A film I adore that he was very underrated in was Cops & Robbersons with Chevy Chase. Palance was terrific in this. One of my favorite comedies.

Jack Palance was a screen legend.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beekeeper