What's new

Jack & Daxter (1 Viewer)

RANDY FISHER

Second Unit
Anyone elso getting this? Anyone play it? I think it comes out today and it looks to be one of the most promising titles this X-mas. I will probably pick it up this week.
Randy;)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
It does look promising from the TV commercials and also from the preview writeup on GameSpot. I'm glad Naughty Dog abandoned the rails and made this a free-roaming platformer.
At the very least it should provide a pleasant diversion until "Mario Sunshine" hits the shelves next year! :)

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
According to Amazon, Jack & Daxter is not release until the 14th of December (as opposed to the 4th). This makes more sense, as there has been virtually no buzz whatsoever.

This game has been at the top of my 'must have' list for a very long time! I would normally look on Amazon but their official release dates are always inconsistant.

I've heard some wonderful things about the animation and the draw distance. The gameplay, based on some of IGN's initial impressions, is not too different from Crash Bandicoot (spin attack, etc), but I am also happy that J&D involves more free-range exploration as opposed to a linear rail in CB.

Joseph

edited: updated release date confirmation

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I got a free demo in the mail of J&D and was disappointed. It was just a demo, but it seemed...boring. There are few attacks and the game just seems like they took Banjo-Kazooie but removed all purpose from their quest whatsoever.

Anyway, its just a demo.

I've been seeing commercials. Usually, that means a game has come out or has less than a week to go...

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Jak really creeps me out.

I dunno if it's the eyes, ears, hair, or the combination, but that character design just gives me the creeps.

-Dave

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Klonoa 2 is, technically speaking, a 2-D platformer with 3D trimmings. It's a wonderful game in its own right, and a much 'tighter' gaming experience because there's less exploration and more straight ahead action.

Rayman still stands as, IMO, one of the best true 3-D platformers on any console. The Dreamcast version is superior to the PS2 version: no jaggies, better color pallete, more impressive lighting effects. The PS2 version (again, IMO) was sloppily ported and even suffered a worse frame-rate than its DC counterpart.

Back on topic, though...

J&D will fill a genre not heavily explored on the PS2... The majority of PS2 titles, if you haven't noticed, are sports and driving games.

Joseph

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I picked up J&D this evening and after about 2 hours on it I give it a big :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: !!
The reviews linked above hit all the high points, so I won't rehash them too much. It's a platformer - you go around collecting things and solving puzzles. The thing that strikes me most is the sense that you are able to see & explore a complete world. There are no artificial boundaries. The limits are set naturally (for example, you can't climb steep, wet cliffs). There's no "warping" to go from stage to stage - you just walk there. No load times whatsoever. Very cool!
The game has a lot of humor, mainly from the wiseass Daxter character (the little animal guy who rides on Jak's shoulders). Whenever you get one of the power cells (the main object you are collecting) you are treated to a little animation of Daxter celebrating. Now, I have got about 20 of these and the animation has been different (and funny) every time! It may not seem like much but to me it indicates an attention to detail and a willingness to go the extra step that separates the great games from the merely good.
The production values are first rate all around. The game looks great and the animations are smooth. There's some nice effects as the time changes from day to night & back again. Sound is fine, with some very good voice acting, and pleasant (and unobtrusive) music. The controls are easy to learn and use.
The only caveat is that the game may be a little easy for hard-core gamers. I consider myself a casual gamer and I'm already at the 13% mark. However, I've only done part of the first 2 stages (plus the training stage), and I'm guessing (hoping?) things will get a bit more difficult as I progress deeper into the game.
But the most important thing is - the game is FUN! If you like platformers, and you own a PS2, "Jak & Daxter" is a must-play!

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
I must agree with Craig on this one, Jak & Daxter is a very enjoyable game.
I would compare it to Rayman and Banjo-Kazooie, since its a 'humorous 3-D adventure involving the collection of certain items' (in this case, power cells). Although some would complain the game is too short (I am almost 20% through after only about an hour of play), it is an overall 'fun' game that suceeds in immersing you in its world and impressing you with the unbelievable draw-distance.
J&D 4:3 [rant]OR 16:9![/rant]. The game looks great in 16:9 and actually is more appropriate, composition-wise, in that aspect ratio. The frame rate stays up there, which is nice.
The day-to-night/night-to-day transitions are seamless and quite simply, beautiful.
The polygon count on Jak&Daxter and the enemies is okay. Perhaps I have been spoiled by how smooth and cartoon-like cell shading looks, and regular polygons just can't achieve that.
The game is broken down into various tasks for each 'area,' which need to be accessed, and then performed. Each successfully completed task will give you a power cell.
They range from making seagulls cause an avalanche to catching fish in a jungle river for a fisherman, to using giant mirrors on poles to reflect a power beam.
Great, fun game, and one I recommend for those who dug either Rayman or BanjoKazooie.
Joseph
update: I've added Jak & Daxter to the 16:9 list thread! :)

paul h

Supporting Actor
Have to say i was dubious about this game but after a few hours play i'm loving it! one of those games where you get started then wonder where the time has gone...
Much prefer this to Rayman2 and this game has some funny touches and great animation, lip synching seems pretty spot on too which is nice :)

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Having passed through technically half of the game, I'm having a blast with J&D. The world is so varied (with nary a load screen) and vast that you will find yourself struggling to remember which massive island or dale you have only looked upon but have yet to travel to.

Not only do you ride a hovercraft style rocket-car,
but you also jump on a giant ostrich-like bird.
Each one of these has a particular set of moves. In fact, each area, be it a swamp or volcano or jungle, has its own set of mini games and theme-specific tasks.

At first glance J&D appears to be just a clone of games like Rayman 2 or Banjo Kazooie. But after a while, J&D becomes considerably more than the sum of its parts. The game, as a cohesive whole, is nearly a masterwork. The fact that its an adventure based on item collection does not make it tedious. In fact, you spend so much time exploring, solving puzzles, and completing tasks that have you taking full advantage of your surroundings, the power cells (as reward) are almost afterthoughts.

And contrary to what I read somewhere, the boss battles are actually quite challenging and rewarding. There aren't many of them, though.

Joseph

Luke_H

Stunt Coordinator
Having just passed the 50 percent mark, this games gets high marks for getting and keeping my wife's attention.

I find her up before me on Sunday playing the game, looking for the next powercell.

The game is funny, wait till you see Daxter to the Robot dance
after you get a powercell. It had me chuckling. Great visuals and NO load time.

All this and widescreen to boot. Great job Naughty dog.

paul h

Supporting Actor
I'm at 55% and really enjoying it, one of those games that it's real hard to put down once you've started! The difficulty level increases nicely and the challenges get more tricky as you progress...top game. :)

Andre F

Screenwriter
How is the non-load time feature? They made a big deal out of that in the magazines.

-Andre F

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
How is the non-load time feature? They made a big deal out of that in the magazines.
I rented this the other day and have been playing it off and on. I am happy to report that the "non-load time feature" is exactly that. The game's initial load is pretty fast (by PS2 standards) and once you are up and running, no matter where you go, the game zips along seamlessly.

Some of this is done with smoke & mirrors, but it is still well done. For instance, there is a slight pause every time you obtain a power cell while the game does an automatic save. But, the sequence is fully animated, so the appearance is that there's no break in the action. This trick is utilized elsewhere throughout the game.

As far as platformers go, D&J is finely crafted. Personally, I am not finding the game as much fun as I'd hoped. It doesn't hold my interest like Rayman or Klonoa 2, but that's just my own taste. If nothing else, it's certainly worth a rental to check out the great job of programming by Naughty Dog.

Gary

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I just have to say that since getting "Jak & Daxter" 10 days ago my brand new GameCube has lain dormant. I'm at about 60% and am getting ready to open up the last part of the game. I haven't enjoyed a game so much since Mario 64. I have & like both Rayman 2 & Klonoa 2 but J&D beats 'em both IMO.
The "no load time" is not hype, it's the real deal. Gary's correct in that of course there is loading but it's done behind the scenes and is seamless & unobtrusive. The only time you'll see a load time delay is in saving to/loading from memory cards, and when you use the warp gate to skip from one major area to another. In this case the delay even makes sense within the context of the game.
Naughty Dog better be hard at work on the sequel RIGHT NOW!!! ;)
I've said it before, but let me repeat - if you have any interest at all in the platforming genre you must play "Jak & Daxter"!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks