What's new

Jacintha *Lush Life* out on SACD and XRCD2. Anyone compared them? (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I saw a JVC ad in the current issue of Stereophile showing that Jacintha Lush Life is out on XRCD2. It is also out on SACD. Has anyone compared the two versions? I would expect the SACD to be better, but JVC's XRCD technology gets high marks. The only XRCDs I have are Steve Miller Band The Joker and Tina Turner Private Dancer, and they are very good.

Along these lines, has anyone compared the CD layer on the Jacintha SACD to the XRCD2? Thanks in advance.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Keith,

While a big fan of XRCD2, the SACD blows Lush Life away. The highs and mids sound a bit better, although the XRCD2 is better. I have not listened to the CD layer, though.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lee said:
While a big fan of XRCD2, the SACD blows Lush Life away. The highs and mids sound a bit better, although the XRCD2 is better.
Huh? :confused:
Did you mean to say something along the lines of "...the SACD blows Lush Life away. The highs and mids sound a bit better, although the XRCD2 is good."? Can you clarify your point? Thanks in advance.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lee,

Thanks for clarifying your point. Much appreciated.

Miles,

I was not aware that Lush Life is available on vinyl, but I don't keep up with the vinyl scene as avidly as developments in digital. Should I upgrade my turntable at some point, Lush Life will probably be yet another worthwhile pick-up on vinyl.

Sutjahjo Ngaserin

Stunt Coordinator
In my opinion, Lush Life is one of the most realistic recording I heard in the SACD format, she sounded like she was right in front, singing. yes it is much better than the already excellent XRCD2.

When I first tried out SACD, my first few SACD sounded disappointing and I concentrated on buying only DVD Audio, it was Lush Life that has shwon the potential of this format, and I am now buying both formats.

Jaw

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Sutjahjo, thanks for sharing your opinion here. From what is being said about the SACD versus the XRCD2, I wonder if the SACD layer is much better than the CD layer and the straight CD issue. I would expect the XRCD2 to best the CD layer on the hybrid disc, but that would make for an interesting comparison. I also wonder if the CD layer on the hybrid disc and the straight CD are the same. Basically, I would be interested in ranking the SACD, XRCD2, CD layer on the hybrid disc, and the straight CD.

Sutjahjo Ngaserin

Stunt Coordinator
I do not have the normal Audio CD version, only the XRCD and SACD, in my opinion, the SACD is obviously better, considering it is a multi-channel recording..

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Sutjahjo said:

the SACD is obviously better, considering it is a multi-channel recording..
I'm not sure what you mean here. The SACD has a discrete stereo layer. So, have you ever compared the CD layer on the hybrid disc to the XRCD2? I am really curious.

Miles_W

Second Unit
Keith,

all three of here recordings are available from Groovenote ( I think) they all also come with a bonus 45rpm of usually 3 or 4 of the songs off the album, these sound really nice...

Miles

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Miles, thanks. I will remember this should I upgrade my turntable. I am considering the replacement of a $200 Sony PS-LX350H manual unit with a Music Hall MMF-5.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks