J&R has supposedly dropped Apex?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jack Kelsey, Mar 22, 2002.

1. Jack Kelsey

Jack Kelsey Agent

From the Nerd site it seems that J&R has dropped Apex 7701 - and maybe more.

From another post there, it also seems there are more serious issues with Apex continuing to exist in general.

And there have been continual references to a court decsion to force liquidation of Apex assets to pay freight bills accumulated by a company called Hub.

Is anyone aware of further information? Is this all inuendo and rumor or is there some hard stuff behind it? (It is rather clear from the web that the Apex 7701 'Universal' player has been a total catastrophe.)

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I believe it was on Audio Asylum where I read that a large proportion of the '7701s that J&R received were defective. If that is the case, it would only make sense to drop the entire line. Frankly, I don't know why they got the '7701 in the first place. APEX does not have a good track-record for product reliability.

3. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    I don't know how Apex could be in financial trouble when I read in USA Today this week that Apex has the largest market share of DVD players sold in the US.

Apex 20%

Sony 15%

4. Jack Kelsey

Jack Kelsey Agent

Hi Dalton

Wanna buy some Enron stock? - heard it is one of the largest companies in the world - they even have a new baseball stadium named after them.

Oh - dang - sorry - I meant to send this post a few weeks ago - guess I'm a bit late, eh?

5. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

6. Jack Kelsey

Jack Kelsey Agent

The info from the Enron CEO was accurate and current until he was dragged before a Senate committee.

The previous 'expertise' of Apex people has been said to have been as sellers of herbal teas on the net.

Let's just not get carried away with what is SUPPOSED to be credible!

7. JaleelK

JaleelK Second Unit

8. Jack Kelsey

Jack Kelsey Agent

Well they really don't have any big problems if Apex continues to put inferior stuff on the market.

Actually Apex hanging on might help the DVD market as people get 'introduced' at the $50-100 level and then realize they need something better.

But still people who get burnt lose their money one way or the other.

The Chinese can be thanked for allowing 'region'free' machines onto the market - the Japanese stuff - even if made in China - usually needs expensive mods - of course, this is more a non-US 'problem.' (Apex has been no help in the region-free field for US though).

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Dalton said:

10. JaleelK

JaleelK Second Unit

11. JaleelK

JaleelK Second Unit

12. Norm Strong

Norm Strong Stunt Coordinator

I own an Apex. I bought it 2 years ago. It was the only player on the market under $200 that was not hobbled by Macrovision or regional coding. If it had not existed, I would not have bought ANY DVD player.

13. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Yes Keith alot of people buy the Apex junk on price alone. I am guilty too. I bought a $75 Apex for my kids room(wouldn't be caught dead with one in my main system). I had to take it back the next day because it wouldn't play at least half of my kids dvd's(including the brand new unopened Atlantis). What a piece of junk. Apex will never get another dime from me.

14. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

The big problem is that Apex doesn't pay licensing fees to the DVD consortium through some loophole (probably that they buy the "kits" and the license should have already been paid). Do you really think the majors will let this go on much longer?

15. Jack Kelsey

Jack Kelsey Agent

Supposedly there are many of the Far Eastern companies not paying licensing fees - the Chinese have been the ones mostly mentioned.

Philips is supposed to be taking a stronger stance in Europe.

The political situation is a bit dicey because the DVD Forum and the Biggies controlling the licenses have made no fans among the public with their despised region-coding and with the continual mess up with DVD-A/SACD standardization - and don't forget the inability to decide on the recording format with 'DVD-R.'

And then also the fog presented with the coming Blu-Ray (Blue Laser DVD).

So the big corporations (with these political problems going on) have to be on tiptoes so there's no danger of shutting down the flow of 'cheap' DVD units - or 'appearing' to shut them down - as they want the format itself to succeed - and do not want the black clouds of more political smoke.

And heaven knows price itself has certainly been shown NOT to be a determinant of excellence - there is very HIGH quality equipment at low prices (eg Outlaw) - and a ton of TERRIBLY priced cult amps and speakers that can have the word HIGH associated with them ONLY in their price tag.

Caveat emptor!

16. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jaleel said: