What's new

"J.Lo"....Is anyone else fed up? I now have a newfound respect for Gloria Estefan (1 Viewer)

Wes Larkins

Stunt Coordinator
Gloria has taken the past couple years off she has been writing this new album, she has wrote all of the songs on it and she says its the most fun shes ever had recording an album, I cant wait for it, It will be out in September

Jennifer and Shakira turned to Gloria

Jennifer turned to Gloria and husband Emilio in 97 for help with "On The 6" album. Jennifer recorded a song for it called "Let's Get Loud", Gloria wrote it for her 1998 album Gloria! but decided not to use it and Jennifer recorded it

As for Shakira
Shakira has been around a while, to those who know latin music, she was huge in latin america before she hit the US. Well in 1998 Shakira caught Gloria's attention and Gloria wanted to help her out in english, helped her with learning English, and helped her translate some songs. Emilio Estefan was the executive producer on Shakira's album, and the smash hit Whenever, Wherever was wrote by Gloria and Shakira, Gloria translated a popular song from her album Donde Estan Los Ladrones called Ojos Asi, into English, and Shakira has the english version on this new album.

Gloria and Emilio have there own little recording studio down in Miami called Cresent Moon, and Emilio was Tommy's right hand man in a way for the Latin market. Many have come to record there, Ricky Martin's new spanish album is being produced by Emilio, Will Smith, Marc Anthony, Thalia, are some of the few that have come to the Estefans.

They have a nice little set up down there, last I heard the Estefan's were worth around 500 mil not bad huh

But I agree with the new pop divas, look at the legends I guess you would say from the 80's and 90's

Mariah (I dont like her as well as I used to she messed up leaving Columbia Records)

Celine (Still goin strong she may not write her stuff but she doesnt need to)

Whitney (gone, has anyone heard a single from her new album? I just remember hearing it being released)

Who Else ?

Gloria (has never left yet, has always produced hits and always fills stadiums not bad at all shes still got it just like always)

Wes Larkins

Stunt Coordinator
Any of you have any of Gloria's SACD's or CD's or whatever
email me at [email protected] or whatever let me know what you think of them
I highly recommend them
I do like Jennifer Lopez Ill admit that I have all of her stuff, but my favorite is her first album

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Question for everyone:

What did you do last saturday night? I went clubbing. They probably played some J-Lo that night. Along with all the other Rap and Pop crap that represents the "sorry state of todays pop music".

When I am at home, I listen to Clapton, Patricia Barber etc... Is that what I want to hear when I go out? Maybe, depends on my mood, last tuesday I was in a bar that had live Jazz band and it was terrific. Yesterday at the library, it was blues. The Friday before, at happy hour, it was some top 40 rock at some other bar.

Friday and Saturday night, yes, I want to hear something that jams, be it J-Lo, 50 cents, Eminem, heck, even NSync.

Tell me, why the the hatred for music that isn't meant to do more than make you dance, shake your body, grind against some gal and be happy to be alive? When have those people ever pretended to be the pinnacle of musical achievement?

I certainly hope I never lose track of this perspective, I have a feeling it will come in handy when my daughter enters puberty 10 years from now.

--
Holadem

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Ten years from now Holadem you might have a different perspective about everything including the music,lol! From all the dads who have survived the teen years with the teenagers, I offer you my best wishes in the coming years!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
It is too bad that she took this direction in her career (as far as her standing in my eyes, obviously money-wise it was a smart decision for her).

My most horrific JLo moment was when she and JaRule did that duet on an MTV award show and it really was live - because she was AWFUL. She was off-key and off-beat. I don't think she has performed "live" ever since - now it's all prerecorded though her mic is still hot so she can yell "What's up New York?" when she's not lip sync'ing. Seriously, as a performing artist myself (and my roommate at the time was too, this was like a year to a year and a half ago) we were watching with mouths open at how bad JLo sounded on NATIONAL TV! I then turned to my roommate and told her "that's why some artists SHOULD lip sync!"

I think even JaRule was like "damn girl, you suck! but you're hot!" Anyway it's funny that MTV doesn't replay it anymore (I think someone from JLo's management said "don't play that anymore") but you can find the video of it on Kazaa.

Eek!

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
Allow me to interject something. Personally, I think J-lo has some very annoying tunes. I can ignore them, and if people want to listen to it, thats fine.
However... It bothers me to no end when you see music like this everywhere and someone like me has to dig and scrounge to even find many of the artists i like to listen to.. dream theater, stryper, yngwie, tourniquet, stratovarius, symphony X... some are easier than others, but you never see any of these bands on the new release walls at any store. some, unless you really look you wont even find. Lord only knows how many bands there are out there I have yet to hear due to NO promotion.. really annoying if you ask me... carry on. :)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Tell me, why the the hatred for music that isn't meant to do more than make you dance, shake your body, grind against some gal and be happy to be alive? When have those people ever pretended to be the pinnacle of musical achievement?
Some people are upset just because they're grouchy and like to be upset; and maybe a little snobbish.

However, it is very plausible that due to the excessive marketing and money spent on the J-Los and N-Syncs, the great bands aren't being promoted to music-hungry audiences. I feel this way, so my ire lies not to J-Lo herself, but to record company business practices.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks