What's new

iZombie (The CW) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I could have sworn I saw a thread for this one a while, back but a search turned up nothing.

The first TV series from "Veronica Mars" creator Rob Thomas since "Party Down", "iZombie" follows Olivia Moore, an over-achieving medical resident whose single-minded career advancement gets sidelined when she attends a boat party against her better judgement and a zombie feeding frenzy breaks out on board.

The show picks up several months later, with Olivia dividing her time between vegging in front of the television and completing her residency in pathology at the county morgue... so she can have access to the brains she needs to keep her intellect intact and her homicidal tendencies at bay.

Soon, she discovers that she is absorbing fragments of the corpses' memories, quirks and skills and begins lending her services to the police department as a "psychic" medical examiner.

The pilot came out of the gate at a gallop. Rose McIver is terrific as the straight laced high achiever turned "alabaster bad ass". The contrast between who Liv was and the zombie she is today is well-rendered. Rahul Kohli and Malcolm Goodwin are very entertaining as Liv's boss at the morgue and the detective she partners with, respectively.

We only got a glimpse of her home life in the pilot. It was nice to see Molly Hagan pop up as Liv's mom. Alexandra Krosney was originally cast as Liv's roommate but was dropped when the show was picked up for series. It's a shame, because I'm a fan of hers, but Aly Michalka does fine in the role.

If it keeps the balance between Liv's introspective melancholy and the bouncy tone and pacing of the murder victim of the week, I'm in for the long haul.

EDIT: The show carries the Vertigo branding and acknowledges the "iZOMBIE" comic book by Chris Roberson and Michael Allred as its inspiration. The mechanics of being a revenant zombie seem to operate the same, but there are no common characters between the two and the show so far hasn't introduced any of the other supernatural elements that are featured prominently in the comic.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Watched the pilot. Wholly devoid of interest to me. It was flat, without any spark.

Additionally, the premise didn't do anything for me: psychic zombie detective? Too high concept.

In writing and performance, it was psychic detective with excessive white-face makeup. The zombie aspect could dropped with negligible impact to the story.

It was like the pilot for Agents of Shield. And maybe it will be amazing in a half a season. But I've got Orphan Black on Blu Ray and four unwatched seasons of Mad Men on Tivo. I don't have time for a show this poorly done.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I finally watched the first episode and was actually surprised I liked it. You have to suspend disbelief on a lot, but I think I will give it a few more episodes to see where they take it. It was pretty interesting that she did have a pulse (resting 10 bpm). I wonder if she could pass a physical or if she will always have to avoid going the a doctor?

What is background of the show? Is this based on a Comic, or is it an "original" story?

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Scott-S said:
I finally watched the first episode and was actually surprised I liked it. You have to suspend disbelief on a lot, but I think I will give it a few more episodes to see where they take it. It was pretty interesting that she did have a pulse (resting 10 bpm). I wonder if she could pass a physical or if she will always have to avoid going the a doctor?

What is background of the show? Is this based on a Comic, or is it an "original" story?
It's based on a comic of the same name, but pretty loosely.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Adam Lenhardt said:
We only got a glimpse of her home life in the pilot. It was nice to see Molly Hagan pop up as Liv's mom. Alexandra Krosney was originally cast as Liv's roommate but was dropped when the show was picked up for series. It's a shame, because I'm a fan of hers, but Aly Michalka does fine in the role.
As a fan of Michalka, from Hellcats, I was surprised to find her unrecognizable in this current role. If she gets a musical turn on izombie, let me know. That would make me try it again.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Adam, if Molly Hagan the mom is the woman that has her neck skin pulled so tight you can hardly

tell her head is actually attached to her neck, then she is the only thing about the show I did not like.

She is just as creepy as any zombie I've ever seen in a movie with that scary tight skin on her neck and face.

Anyway, I'll be back for at least one more ep.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Finally watched the pilot.

I mildly liked it.

I have a few more on the DVR.

I'm going to give the show a chance.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
"iZombie" renewed for Season 2

Not a huge surprise, given that it's been one of the CW's top performers since its debut, but still great news in my book. This has quickly become one of my favorites. Rose McIver is terrific in the title role, and it strikes just the right balance between the procedural case of the week and the serialized "Invasion of the Body Snatchers"-esque quiet zombie invasion.

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
I see VERONIC MARS actor Percy Dagg III appeared in the last episode.

Like the series and glad its been renewed.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Terrific finale, but I'm glad the show's coming back because that would have been a really bleak way to end things.

The end game in the butcher shop really pushed what's left of the standards and practices for broadcast television.

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
Very enjoyable 1st season.

Liv had to make some difficult choices in the finale.

Will have to wait and see how it plays out next season.

Kudos to Rose, she was able to change personality traits with ease, although

I am sure she work hard to get the right balance of those character traits.

:)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
That was an epic season finale. Any show by the television writer-producer Rob Thomas that ends with a group of zombies eating the brains of singer-Matchbox 20 frontman Rob Thomas is just off the charts.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Nice way to tie up all the loose ends. Nice to have Babineaux in the mix.

Interesting premise for the next season.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
Nice way to tie up all the loose ends. Nice to have Babineaux in the mix.

Interesting premise for the next season.

Agree - unlike the Blaine storyline where they just keep him around for no apparent good reason (makes me think of Spike in the latter seasons of Buffy) they've actually closed out some storylines and have started up a new, interesting one. Did think that they wiped away Major's 'Chaos Killer' storyline a little too easily/quickly, but it was an enjoyable 2 hours.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
It was a great finale! It just sux that we have to wait a year to get the next season.

The writing on this show is top notch and as a result the show is smart and fun.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
The new season has started off strong with some interesting developments.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks