Iwo Jima photographer dies

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Chris Lockwood, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

2. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

I mentioned Joe Rosenthal's death to a couple of fellow ex-Marines at work today and they both made the same comment, "It was staged".

3. CameronJ

CameronJ Stunt Coordinator

Poor Joe - he was dogged with this accusation his whole life. The comment he's made - and that has been echoed by many other photographers over the years - was that if he had staged this scene he would have completely ruined it (as evidenced by his third pic of the day - showing the marines standing in front of the flag smiling). When asked originally if he had staged the shot - Joe answered "yes" - thinking of the third shot - not the famous flag-raising shot.

The confusion also comes because a smaller flag was raised in the same spot a day earlier, but the marines decided that they wanted a larger flag. Joe has said, and his words have always stuck with me as a photographer, that he almost didn't go with them, knowing that this would be the second flag raising. Lesson to be learned, always have your camera, and never pass up the opportunity to shoot - you never know what you'll capture.

4. Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie Supporting Actor

A real pity, that Mr. Rosenthal's work was so dogged by accusations of "rigging." That has to be the single most iconic picture of the USMC ever taken.

RIP Mr. Rosenthal.

5. Buzz Foster

Buzz Foster Second Unit

My grandfather was there. He told the story of the second flag, and knew it was not staged.

6. MandyHan

MandyHan Stunt Coordinator

I might walk over to the memorial today to pay my respects. Its about 5 min from my office.