What's new

Ive updated my DIY cable gallery. (1 Viewer)

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Good looking work. Home rig pic is a bit dark to see the equipment. Seems like you're going commercial. Good luck!:)

David K.

Second Unit
nah not commercial at all.

its a hobby of mine, though, Ive decided to slow down and stop just recently.

I TRY to make the cables look professional though, which sometimes get mixed responses from people thinking Im an actual vendor of the trade.

But Im just a DIYer.

KyleGS

Second Unit
Any objective or even subjective comparisons to cheaper cables? (rat shack, partsexpress, etc?) Just curious... There is heated debate about this across all audiophile boards.

I must say, I am very impressed by your work. BTW- I've never been involved in those debates.
Great work.

David K.

Second Unit
the biggest difference is build quality is far superior to rat shack. also higher quality materials will last longer then standard rat shack.

other then that regarding performance the line is blurred, I just build them because they look cool on my system :)

JimHagstrom

Agent
Your cables really look execellent. I just started building my own cables and have had some mixed results. I used the How to article on this site and had problems getting the crimps to hold. I read more and found that I need to adjust my crimping tool. So soon as the new sheelvs come in we'll see if I can have some better results.

I do have a question for you. I have a power cable going to my shelf mounted projector that isn't long enough to go to my cabinet without an extension cord. How would you make this cable longer? If you wouldn't extened it how and where could I find parts to make a new one?

Thanks and keep up the great work...it is a lot of fun.

jim

JimHagstrom

Agent
So, should I just cut the old power cable and find out what wire is inside. Get some new wire and splice it in? What would be the best way to attach the wires together?

The power cable is for a Sanyo Z3 and it has a really strange looking connector, don't think I will be able to buy one.

Thanks for any help,

Jim

John Wes

Stunt Coordinator

That would be one way to do it. I'm guessing it's three wire, so you would simply get a bit of power cable at Lowe's or Home Depot and splice a section in.

If you can, take the cable down to one of the two mentioned above or to a local hardware store. Show them what you have and they can probably get you the wire and plugs for a diy custom cable. One that fits your needs with an exact amout of length. They'll also be able to explain exactly how to build it. It's really pretty easy to do.

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
Those cables are gorgeous. I love the LOK one, that's almost exactly what I wanted to make (looks-wise) for interconnects. Great work.

JimHagstrom

Agent
Went to Home Depot and found the exact cable I needed. So then I just spliced in the wire using crimp connectors (wish I knew of a better way) then I used heat shrink tubing and Tefflex and it looks great and it even works!

Thanks for the help.

Jim

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Beautiful work! I've been making cables, mainly for me, but have sold some to friends, mostly video because they had some long runs from their DVD players to their projectors and premium quality cable was a must, and the "high end" stuff, even Monster, is sky-high.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks