What's new

I've seen a lot of bad football, but the Dallas Cowboys really stink up the joint. (1 Viewer)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Rumors are also about that The Jaguars coach will be cut loose and he would be perfect because he isn't a control freak, is good with young talent, and is a disciplarian which they all need.

I think the losing is getting to Jones and he will suck it up and let someone else do the GM'ing.

Other rumors say that Jones is wanting to bring in Parcells for personnel/GM type decisions as far as consulting goes.

E

Eric Kahn

You should try living in Cincinnati and having the Bungles as your football team, people cna't even give the tickets away

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I live in Cincinnati, if your team is better than the Bengals (that is, anybody else), quitcherbitchin! Boo frickin' hoo, move to a town where mediocrity is an unobtainable goal.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
live in Cincinnati, if your team is better than the Bengals (that is, anybody else), quitcherbitchin!
At least you Bungals fans have witnessed two Super Bowl appearances. I'm 40 years old, and my hometown Lions have won exactly one postseason game in my lifetime. No other hometown team can match that record of futility (the Cards could, except they have switched cities in the middle of their run of mediocrity).

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
I'm a Chiefs fan, which I don't know is much better. Since Priest Holmes went down, it's been scary, but we did beat San Deigo at KC and didn't let Schottenheimer beat us. We're still barely in there for a wild card. Gotta beat Oakland at Oakland, and have certain other teams lose. Not easy to do.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
At least you Bungals fans have witnessed two Super Bowl appearances.
i didn't become a bengals fan until they started losing so bad, because i was only 6 in '89, and i was only paying attention to ohio state/college football at the time...:frowning:

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
I never EVER seem to tire of watching Dallas lose. I always enjoy watching dallas, denver, and Oakland lose. But especially Dallas. No matter how bad they are now.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Another rumor going around is that Parcells is using the Dallas job as leverage to get consideration for a job with the Detroit Lions. As a lifelong Lions fan, I would love to see Parcells in Detroit. However, if there was ever a franchise that he could fail to resurrect, it would be the Lions.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
That might be true, Scott. Last night, ESPN was talking about the possibility of Dennis Green becoming the next coach at Dallas. So, it's hard to say what the situation with Parcells is at the moment. Aren't the Lions standing by Morningweg? I thought I heard they were keeping him on as coach, so Parcells would take a GM role? What about Matt Millen? What a mess this could become.

Bruce

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Bruce,
The Lions' owner, William Clay Ford, has only said that he would decide both Millen and Morninhweg's fate after the final game. The team has already fired player personnel director Bill Tobin today. Speculation is that Millen will be retained as team president, but Ford will fire Morninhweg. That would leave an opening for a combined coach/GM -- either Parcells or Dennis Green. Another rumor has Green being very interested in the Detroit job.
Wouldn't that be funny -- two "name" coaches fighting over the Lions job, with the loser going to Dallas. :laugh:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Why would Green or Parcells need Millen looking over their shoulders? Millen is over his head and the Lions owner needs to face that fact and hire a more qualified individual such as the two individuals already mentioned.

Crawdaddy

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I agree, Robert. Unfortunately, William Clay Ford has never been accused of being a smart owner. Hiring both a rookie front office man and a rookie coach was a huge mistake. If Ford has the chance to snag either Parcells or Green, he should do whatever is necessary to entice them to come to Detroit -- including getting rid of Millen. Knowing Ford, though, he'll screw up the opportunity.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
And this just in:

"The Dallas Morning News reported on its Web site Monday afternoon that Parcells had agreed to an $18 million, four-year deal and would be introduced as the team's sixth coach Tuesday. The story was based on unnamed sources close to Parcells and Cowboys owner Jerry Jones."

Although Parcells is denying this report as of now, I bet their sources are pretty good!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
ESPN is reporting this morning that Parcells has informed them that he is leaving the network to accept the Dallas head coaching job. A news conference is scheduled for Thursday.

It will be interesting to see how long Parcells puts up with Jones. I give the relationship two years.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Parcels will take no crap from Jones or the players. Jones MUST not be on the field (except in the last 5 minutes of a game if at all). I will bet that Parcels made that a part of the contract. He will take them to a Superbowl and then retire.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Parcels will take no crap from Jones or the players. Jones MUST not be on the field (except in the last 5 minutes of a game if at all). I will bet that Parcels made that a part of the contract.
So what happens the first time Jones shows up on the sidelines (despite what he may have promised Parcells) or Jones and Parcells disagree about a personnel decision? It does not sound like Jones have given up his GM duties to Parcells as part of the contract. Jones needed to take the extra step and turn over all on field personnel decisions to Parcells. He has a proven track record in that regard, while Jones' GM abilities (or lack thereof) are also very well-known.

I think the odds are better that this relationship blows up than Parcells getting Dallas back to the Super Bowl.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm with Scott on this one. The only thing bigger than Jones' pocketbook is his ego. He might stay out of the limelight for a little bit, but the minute things start to go south for Parcells and the Cowboys you can bet Jones' ego will rear its ugly head and the second-guessing and backstabbing will begin...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks