What's new

I've run out of dvds to buy :) (1 Viewer)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Where do you guys find the time to watch all those movies? Do you have time to watch each movie more than once, or is each dvd a view once only thing?
Speaking only for myself, it's never a one-time only thing. If that were the case I'd never buy the dvd in the first place. I only buy ones that have rewatchability for me. Basically, I just cycle through them, and have seen the vast majority of my dvds more than once. There are a small number that I watch once a year (e.g., Planes, Trains & Automobiles on Thanksgiving).

My wife and I watch a movie almost every night (it's just a couple of hours), so it's no sweat to go through 300 or so films a year, and since I own less than 600, each one gets watched at least every couple of years.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Where do you guys find the time to watch all those movies? Do you have time to watch each movie more than once, or is each dvd a view once only thing?
My family owns 1003 discs now, with 284 of them unwatched or only partially watched.
It's safe to say that we got more discs for Christmas than the average person has an entire collection of! :D
We try to watch one a night, at least when one of our favorite TV shows isn't on or is a repeat. On weekends we typically blow through 10 discs from Fri nite to Sun nite.
But then we buy another box set or two, and lose ground.
nonono2.gif

It helps that many of them are TV shows or Music Video collections, Kid TV, and other similarly "short-form" media. Not every disc is a 2-hour film. And we don't watch every supplement.
When we re-watch a movie, it's because we really really enjoy it and want to (esp. true of the 3-year-old, watching Transformers: Beast Wars for the 8th time this week!). Sometimes we just want to catch a particular sequence real quick, like the "I'm Alive" scenes in Xanadu or the soup-barfing scene in The Exorcist. Sometimes we do that and get sucked into the rest of the movie, but then we look at the print-out of unwatched DVD's and feel like we're "cheating them". :)
My answer: watch what you enjoy, and buy what you can afford! It's a hobby, after all!
RAF: 4000!! I'm *SO* Jealous!!!! :p)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I have perhaps a handful of DVDs that I would consider buying that are currently available for purchase. My collection is only around 250 DVDs at this point, but other than the some of the new releases, there's not too much more that I want to add to MY collection.

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
I've also hit the wall as for buying DVD's. I've gotten all the movies I'd like to have for now. So it's on to the next big phase of my collection.......collecting all 43 volumes for the Twilight Zone.:D :D :D Thank god I never spent my Christmas Bonus.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
My collection is only at 200 and I am having a hard time thinking of a movie for my daughter to give me for my birthday next week. The only one I could think of is Snow White. With the lack of coupons and 40% off list price deals, and paying on a new home while our old home has not sold yet, I have really reduced my monthly purchases.

Even with my relative small collection, I have not seen about 15% of the movies I own, but has seen others many, many times.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
and I am having a hard time thinking of a movie for my daughter to give me for my birthday next week. The only one I could think of is Snow White.
Snow White is a great choice. And not just because its a great movie with a great restoration...but I just saw an ad on TV that says Disney will be pulling it after January 31 for ten years. Part of their "so you better get it now!" scare tactics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks