What's new

Ive noticed with some CBS DVD releases (1 Viewer)

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That there is no "Play all" option. Matlock has a "play all" option. Gomer Pyle has one also. However on Melrose place and the original 90210 for example, you have to click each episode to play it. The same is true for the original Star Trek releases. Does this Change with potential Blu Ray releases?

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
That there is no "Play all" option. Matlock has a "play all" option. Gomer Pyle has one also. However on Melrose place and the original 90210 for example, you have to click each episode to play it. The same is true for the original Star Trek releases. Does this Change with potential Blu Ray releases?

I don't know about Blus, but another series that has no "play all" is the lot release of Frasier, at least for the first three seasons' worth of that 1993-2004 NBC comedy. Starting with the fourth one and continuing through to the end of the series, there is a "play all" option.

BTW, one that has no "play all" whatsoever (like the Melrose Place and original-recipe 90210 releases you mentioned) is MacGyver. There was no "play all" feature whatsoever on the releases of that 1985-92 ABC adventure series w/Richard Dean Anderson (neither on the seasonal releases, nor on the lot in both of its forms).

Last edited:

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I believe that season 1 of The Phil Silvers Show was the same way, and was continued as I recall by Shout Factory for the remainder of the run.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
perrymasonseason1vol1menu.jpg
perrymasonseason1vol2menu.jpg
perrymasonseason2vol1menu.jpg
perrymasonmoviecollectiondf5menu.jpg
One other that had no "play all" feature was the original 1957-66 CBS series of Perry Mason, if only for the first season's worth. The remainder of the seasons had one, and IIRC, so did the 50th Anniversary release. Unfortunately, the movie discs don't have one, AFAICT.

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
The inconsistency, the lack of attention to simple details, the diminished pride in the work, all makes me want to cry.

I can see why it would! Are you referring to the Perry Mason menus I illustrated above, as an example?

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
When did Perry Mason S1 come out?

Because CBS/P generally didn't offer a play all function until rather late... maybe 2005 or 2006? No Star Trek series on DVD has one, and the last one was released in 2005 (Enterprise, IIRC).

As for the films... well, I understand it, even if I don't agree with it. They are films, not TV shows. Would you expect a play all option for two feature films on one disc?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Even funnier is Warner.

It looks like almost every non-A list title released by Warner over the past several years, is using the exact same generic template menu files.

Like pushing a button, rinse, and repeat. :)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
When did Perry Mason S1 come out?

Because CBS/P generally didn't offer a play all function until rather late... maybe 2005 or 2006? No Star Trek series on DVD has one, and the last one was released in 2005 (Enterprise, IIRC).

The two volumes of the first season's worth of Perry Mason apparently came out in 2006, and were copyrighted in that year to CBS Broadcasting, Inc.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Even funnier is Warner.

It looks like almost every non-A list title released by Warner over the past several years, is using the exact same generic template menu files.

Like pushing a button, rinse, and repeat. :)
But... IMHO those static "generic template menu files" are far superior to any of the "Let's put some time wasting animation for every key/button press (aka "see how clever we are" dross) and play the theme music louder than the program in a continuous loop" variety.

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
I've never used the "Play All" function on any DVD set I own. I just select one episode at a time because I never want to watch one whole disc in one sitting.
Same here. For me, a disc that defaults to 'Play All' is more problematic than one that stops after each episode--I have to grab the remote to stop it after each episode (my Batman '66 Blu-rays do that).

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I've never used the "Play All" function on any DVD set I own. I just select one episode at a time because I never want to watch one whole disc in one sitting.

Same here. For me, a disc that defaults to 'Play All' is more problematic than one that stops after each episode--I have to grab the remote to stop it after each episode (my Batman '66 Blu-rays do that).

I occasionally use the "Play All" function - but if I select a episode I fully expect to only watch that episode and then have to manually select the next. The ones that annoy me are those that *continue* to the next episode after I've selected a *single* episode to play. I'd rather have no "Play All" function at all if that's what they're going to do. At least I can get a "one-off" if that's what I'm after. I've not yet watched my Batman '66 BR set so that's a bummer to hear. I don't recall the DVD set doing that.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
The ones that annoy me are those that *continue* to the next episode after I've selected a *single* episode to play.

That's why I didn't like that 4-disc, 50-episode release of Mr. and Mrs. North from Synergy-- they had an automatic "play all" that moved the disc up to the next episode on that disc, even if all you wanted to see was one episode. Not only that, but the timer did not reset at the end of each episode-- when you reached the end of one, the running time of each successive one was added to the running time of the first, therein creating a total continuous timer per disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks