I've never played any Tony Hawk games! Are they any good?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Barry Woodward, Aug 3, 2002.

1. Barry Woodward

Barry Woodward Second Unit

I always hear people raving about Tony Hawk and I'd like to know what's so great about the series. I generally don't like sports games but I'm open for anything. Can anyone please explain the Tony Hawk phenomenon?

2. BertFalasco

BertFalasco Supporting Actor

All the stuff you wanted to do on a skateboard has been created for all us posers. [​IMG] I sound like a typical marketer.
    It's fun to do crazy stuff in an innovative way. Not only realistic modes, but also has objectives/ "missions." And each installment extends the previous one's cleverness.
    It's good times. Look out for THPS4 and Dave Mirra XXX. [​IMG]
    -Bert

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Its pretty fun for any gamer... It just has this magical appeal to it... But for me, im VERY impatient with my games, THPS just got overly hard to get the tasks, or i just got bored with it. (I have all three, one and two on dreamcast, three on PC)

Still fun nonetheless...

4. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Not into skateboarding at all (I'm too fat to make the board go anywhere [​IMG] ) but I am a big fan of the Tony Hawk games. Disgustingly addictive.
    Dan

5. BrianB

BrianB Producer

I'll go with what Dan said - disgustingly addictive.

First few times you play it, it'll probably seem very random & unfriendly. Once you get the hang of doing the basic tricks & start building up combos, it'll start to come together.

A very very good series of games.

6. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    I've been playing Tony Hawk II on X Box for about six months now and it's about the best $20 I've ever spent. It's excellent in both one and multi player modes. I don't really feel the need to upgrade to the newest or best version of the game either, I'll likley still be playing the hell out of the cheap one this time next year.

7. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I love the games as well. If you get one make sure it is 3 as the series gets better which each installment.
    -Andre F

8. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

ummmm yes.

9. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Yes! I'm not a skateboarder and not a huge fan of sports games, but THPS is way fun! I liken it to 1080 on the N64 a great game also)!

10. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

THPS is a good series, but I would recommend getting every other game in the series (like get 1 and 3 but not 2 or 4) because the updates to the games come in the form of different levels and a few added tricks. I have THPS2, but skipped over 3 and might get 4.

11. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

12. Tino D'Voe

Tino D'Voe Agent

I found 3 a huge dissapointment, at least the game cube version. The controls are awkward and the overall gameplay is much more difficult than the previous two on the playstation. The game just misses the fun of the others.

13. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

The best thing of any thps game is how if you mess up you can restart quickly and there are no load times,........ thats nice! I wanna play online!!!!!

14. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

I would disagree with the posters who suggested skipping 3--it's a fantastic title, and a worthy successor to the excellent second installment. I had trouble with it at first--some of the objectives were extremely tough the first few times I tried it. It took me at least 2 weeks to beat it 100% with my first character. Then about a week to beat it with a second. After that, though, I found the lines and the tricks I could use to complete all of the objectives. By the time I beat it with the last character, I was down to a little over an hour to 100% the game start to finish with someone.
    I loved the second version, but the third is superior in a lot of ways. The levels are more interesting, for one, and the objectives are a little more interactive (knock down five pickpockets, impress 7 girls, etc.) If the second game had a flaw it was that the levels were barren and felt lifeless without any other people around--the third one feels a lot more "real" with actual people walking around and talking to you as you skate past.
    I also like how you no longer have to purchase new boards, stats, or tricks, and you get an additional special slot every time you complete a level 100%. I loved 2, but after playing 3 I find it hard to go back to 2. The nice thing about 4 coming out soon is that 3 will be in the bargain rack in a few months. [​IMG]

15. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

I have all three (1 and 2 on the Dreamcast, and 3 on the PS2) and Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 is, by far my favorite of the bunch. The reason for this is, part 2 feels more like a skateboarding game, whereas part 3 is really more of a platformer.
    I love platformers, but Tony Hawk 3 is like Mario on a skateboard. I much prefer the 'barren' levels of part 2 that force you to really be creative with looping tricks. With part 3, everything has been laid out to make it easy for the player. And the revert move introduced in 3 has made the challenge of getting a high score obsolete.
    I'm not trying to say the part 3 is a bad game; to the contrary, it's a perfect next step for the series. I just feel that part 2 married the creative/fun aspect of 3 with the more rigid, challenging control of part 1 more evenly.
    But the TH Series is fantastic. If you have an Xbox, by all means pick up TH 2X... it's a keeper.
    Joseph

16. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

17. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

18. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

Yes, Yes, and Yes.

I was unsure about the games when I first started hearing about them. I waited for the DC version to be released and have played through all 3 games. I found it more fun playing with someone else (even if it's not MP) cause you all try different things out and work together in getting the goals completed. I first got to a point in TH1 where I didn't really think I'd be able to make it any further. My roommate at the time started playing and figured out some stuff that I hadn't, and we started getting all the high scores for levels and started moving on.

The thing is that they add enough into each game, so that you experience the "How the hell am I gonna do that??" feeling each game. And then you figure out the new tricks and moves and you start kicking some ass.

I'd say pick up 2x (if you have an XBox) and 3 so you get to play all the levels. Overall I liked 2 probably the most as the hidden stuff in it was a bit better, but 3 had some really nice levels and you can get insanely high scores.