What's new

I've never had an interest in online gaming...until now (1 Viewer)

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
I just bought ESPN Football for the XBOX which included 2 trial months of XBOX Live, and now I'm hooked...BIG TIME! Having a nice game console has always been a bitter/sweet experience for me because none of my frinds are really into gaming, my wife isn't into gaming, and at 33 years of age, I don't have any kids. Since I never have anyone to play with, I always feel as if I'm wasting money when I invest in games and consoles. But XBL has been a dream come true for me.

Since last night, I've played 3 games w/ complete strangers who handed me my jock strap on a silver platter (as my former coach used to say), and I loved every second of the experience! This is like a dream come true. I feel like a giddy little girl. Now I have a reason to get better. If any of you happen to be online tonight, my gamertag is: THE DISRUPTER Hope to meet some of you online later! I am an online gaming convert for life.

JayV

Supporting Actor
Kevin, do you intend to pick up a retail XBL package (with the included games) or will you just buy the voice communicator? Or will you skip that entirely?

I'm interested to see your response, until now buying the retail box was the only option.

-j

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
Kevin,
XBOX live was my first foray into online gaming as well and i too was equally hooked. watch out tho man, it'll get even worse once you get a big friends list:)

I got the year long subscription, but when you get a game with a free 2 month trial can you use that on another xbox? (like could i sell it to a friend?)

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
I got the year long subscription, but when you get a game with a free 2 month trial can you use that on another xbox? (like could i sell it to a friend?)
Yes, you can! There is a coupon code that you scratch and use. It doesn't matter at all what XBOX you use it with, but, the code can only be used once. The coupon says that it is a value of $17.88, so you can recoup about a third of the price of the game should you sell the coupon. I'd do it if I were you - and it's legal (should that question come up).

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
JayV, I will pick up a retail box w/ the communicator included from my local target for $35. The monthly price for XBL is $5.99 a month. The communicator alone is $30. After the 2 free months are up, the $35 retail package offers the best value I would think.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Welcome to 'Live, Kevin. It's like chocolate covered crack!

Joined back in the 2nd round beta testing days and, it's been great ever since. THE best racing period!!!!

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Well, my excitement has died down a little. Wiht ESPN Football, my skills have improved dramatically to the point that I can compete quite well within my skill level. The problem I am having is w/ people who won't finish the game. Once I go up by a couple of touchdowns, my opponents pull the plug. Even when I was loosing badly (33-10, 44-0), I still finished the game. Some people I play quit after the 2nd or 3rd interception. Very frustrating.....

Jeff Ashforth

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin,

A good way to stop that type of nonsense is to build up a respectable friends list(just scan the gamertag thread for people who have the same games as you and then send them a friend invite). After that, you'll rarely play public games, unless you are really desperate. :D

Cheers.
J.

JayV

Supporting Actor
What Jeff said -- look at who posts here and try to make matches for your friends list.

Also, try to give the person a heads up, since some people (like me) decline requests from unfamiliar gamertags.

-j

Dean Kousoulas

Second Unit
I've played some games on PS2 online, but X-Box Live blows it away! I'm currently playing Outlaw Volleyball and Tetris, and I can't wait to play Rainbow Six 3, XIII, and ESPN Hockey.

Gamer Tag: Scahom1

Brandon_S

Second Unit
Hey Kevin,

How would you like to get in on the ESPN Football league I am running this season? Most of the guys in the league are guys from the HTF, so they are all standup guys to play against. Right now we have an opening for the Washington Redskins. We are only a few weeks into the season right now. Just let me know if you are interested!

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
A good way of cutting down on the number of games against quitters is to take heed of their record in terms of Drops and Quits before playing against them. Chances are that a person who has a 30 wins-25 losses record with only 1 or 2 drops and no quits, will not bail on you the second you take the lead.
Stay away from those boneheads with 12-0 records but have 9 drops and 11 quits.

Another thing I do to help reduce frustration with poor gameplay is, take a glance at their stats before playing them. (I don't believe it is listed in the instruction booklet, but when you go to the select a match lobby, just highlight the player you are wondering about and press down on the right analog stick, this will bring up a few of that players stats) To me the key stat to look at is the persons 4th down attempt percentage, if it is over 35-40% I will not play them. I just don't have the patience to play people who NEVER punt the ball.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
BTW...where can I get one of those spiffy X-Box Live tags made?
Our very own Jay V., makes some pretty damn cool ones. He did mine.

Hey Graeme, those are some killer Motogp 2 times!!! I just got back online after a 4 month stretch. Uploaded my GP times this evening to 'Live.

...apparently, I suck. :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks